Ranger is Back in QUAKE Champions

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Quake Ranger is back! Not that we did not expect him to show up in QUAKE Champions, but it still grabs at those nostalgic heartstrings. I am fairly sure that my twitch-gaming deathmatch skills, or lack thereof, need some serious honing and that will result in me getting my ass handed to me more than once.

Check out the video.

I don't remember Ranger sounding like Duke Nukem - but still nice to see him return anyway.

Here's hoping we get a playable Shambler added to the mix.

I played the CBT a few weekends ago. Not impressed in the slightest. The game is a huge cash grab with micro transactions coming out the ears and Bethesda have given themselves an impossible task balancing between the champion skills, health, armor, speed, weapons, and the nightmare that is match-making.

The core gameplay is still there, it feels like Quake, just a molested version of it.

I played as ranger all last weekend for the closed beta. Had a blast but I feel like he is a bit to weak against the lightning gun.
His ability is awesome though. I'd launch it around a corner where a gun fight was and 7 out of 10 times I'd hear "deadly slipgate"

I played as ranger all last weekend for the closed beta. Had a blast but I feel like he is a bit to weak against the lightning gun.
His ability is awesome though. I'd launch it around a corner where a gun fight was and 7 out of 10 times I'd hear "deadly slipgate"
Ranger's slip gate is pretty good as an offensive weapon, but I think they nerfed the speed on it vs the first beta. I had more fun and frags with Slash and her kill trail to be honest, even though you have to rent her. :(

Hes not weak to lg, compared to anyone else. lg is just baffling at times in its hit detection.

Still work to do but still had a blast playing it. My fav i think is Ranger, Scalebearer second. Nyx would be awesome but her starting health is too low imo.

I think most the complaints i see with abilities is people getting destroyed by people who are using them properly but i understand the polarisation on
them in general. Its still player fps skill based, with perhaps moments where you feel cheap shotted.

I played as Ranger exclusively last weekend and just had tons of fun. It's been my favorite game since Doom in the last year or so.

Same here. At it's core, it's still Quake Arena style gameplay. You can stick with that style all you want (I did most of the time) and had a great time and even got some great kills. It's still beta, so some things were reported in the survey, but overall - damn I had a fucking blast!

I love the beta, and it's going to be one of the few games I buy on launch. Just have a great time with Quake.

You guys are awesome when it comes to NDA :p
Might as well start posting screenshots and videos and your bank account info.

Some of what's been said has been in the trailer. Some is just common sense. Some might be borderline. :) It's Quake, it's fun, it's beta. If there was any question about that, NDA's don't really matter in underrock territory. :D

I played it the past 2 weekends and the game crashes more than any game I have ever played. Out of the dozen or so attempts to play an entire round, I only had one successful attempt. At least that one round in death match, I won.

Can not wait.

mullet-quake.png

I played it the past 2 weekends and the game crashes more than any game I have ever played. Out of the dozen or so attempts to play an entire round, I only had one successful attempt. At least that one round in death match, I won.

I had the same issue till I turned off Afterburner, than not a single one after that, did the same in both Wolfenstein games.

I've messed around with the beta and I'm not sure I like it. Something is off that I can't put my finger on.

I've messed around with the beta and I'm not sure I like it. Something is off that I can't put my finger on.

This↑↑↑↑ I like it, but I don't like it. I know it's a beta and all but it just feels rushed.
Many of the peeps I chatted with in game like Doom MP better, and I have to agree. Doom just felt more balanced, plus if I wanted to rent my characters, I would just play Smite.

I Believe in NDA's; they're necessary for most large businesses. My company would not be happy if someone complained about me breaking an NDA. :)

I played as Ranger exclusively last weekend and just had tons of fun. It's been my favorite game since Doom in the last year or so.

What year is it again? Talking about Doom and Quake being favorite games?

:)

These are the best games since Gamespy went down; I play Quake2 locally, but our favorite mods are all cheats. (Give all at the beginning, one for each kill)
I still run an odd CrysisWars or Duke4ever server...
Everything NEW sucks.

;

See above; like you said 'might as well.' :)

It's not Quake if I can't run my own server.

Agreed! With MY mods and MY ammo limits. :->

Like Doom, the Buy your way thru the game thing was easy to ignore, from what I heard.

Also from what I've heard, I like it already.

:)

/thread

The beta feels quite a bit "heavier" than what Q3A felt like. You feel Heavy and weighted down when running and jumping around the map. I also seem to feel mouse accel or mouse lag. I have Vsync off with 1080ti SLI

The beta feels quite a bit "heavier" than what Q3A felt like. You feel Heavy and weighted down when running and jumping around the map. I also seem to feel mouse accel or mouse lag. I have Vsync off with 1080ti SLI

Funny you mention the mouse. I can't get mine dialed in, at all.

still waiting for the conclusion of the Ranger Gone Bad series :D

I had the same issue till I turned off Afterburner, than not a single one after that, did the same in both Wolfenstein games.
That's one thing you should always check first if you use Riva and run any 3d app and are having start up or crashing problems. It tends to be that. However i've had no problems with it in Champions. It's been on every time i've played, old beta version even. In fact i've had zero issues in the game with stability or crashing. Still using old early beta pascal drivers from last year too. I rarely update shit :p

Yeah the game is going to be polarizing for old school Quake people. I'm one of those, i want server browser, classic mode, mods all that, but honestly I've played it every weekend and had a blast every time. Well at least until i stay awake until 2 am and then European players start coming on, then the net gets a bit unpredictable. But then it's just telling me it's time to go to bed :p But i see myself playing it for the foreseeable future, it is what it is, and it doesn't suck imo. There's always QL too.

Last edited:
That's one thing you should always check first if you use Riva and run any 3d app and are having start up or crashing problems. It tends to be that. However i've had no problems with it in Champions. It's been on every time i've played, old beta version even. In fact i've had zero issues in the game with stability or crashing. Still using old early beta pascal drivers from last year too. I rarely update shit :p

Yeah I usually do, but I've always have had problems with Bethesda games and AB, regardless of version. I still can't start Doom or Wolfenstein with it running, I use a hot key and kill it off till the game menu comes up, than I reactivate it and it works with no crashes, could be 8.1w/ Kepler. Who knows?

Yeah I usually do, but I've always have had problems with Bethesda games and AB, regardless of version. I still can't start Doom or Wolfenstein with it running, I use a hot key and kill it off till the game menu comes up, than I reactivate it and it works with no crashes, could be 8.1w/ Kepler. Who knows?

Could be anything. Everyone systems are different. Only Beth games i have are Doom, Skyrim, and Quake Champions now and i run Ab in all of them without issue.

Well. Skyrim i can't run it with ENB but besides that it runs fine with it on. Win 7. Riva hooks into 3d so, i mean some game/programs are going to have a problem with it. I had an issue all of a sudden with 3dsmax, could not figure it outl Reinstalled twice. turned out to be Riva, Yet i always have Riva running upon boot, i men it;s a rare thing that it causes a problem, so rare that by the time it does gain i'm like WTF is going on with my shit. And then it hits me. Oh yeah, Riva. Funny thing is 3dsmax now runs fine with it on in the background. I don't know what changed, nothing changed, i think it just glitched.

Could be anything. Everyone systems are different. Only Beth games i have are Doom, Skyrim, and Quake Champions now and i run Ab in all of them without issue.

Well. Skyrim i can't run it with ENB but besides that it runs fine with it on. Win 7. Riva hooks into 3d so, i mean some game/programs are going to have a problem with it. I had an issue all of a sudden with 3dsmax, could not figure it outl Reinstalled twice. turned out to be Riva, Yet i always have Riva running upon boot, i men it;s a rare thing that it causes a problem, so rare that by the time it does gain i'm like WTF is going on with my shit. And then it hits me. Oh yeah, Riva. Funny thing is 3dsmax now runs fine with it on in the background. I don't know what changed, nothing changed, i think it just glitched.

True that, Skyrim(vanilla), Fallout 3 and NV all run good w/ AB for me, the only other thing that gave me problems with AB besides Bethesda games was Shadow Warrior 2, I just updated RTSS and SW2 was white-listed, problem solved.

I played the CBT a few weekends ago. Not impressed in the slightest. The game is a huge cash grab with micro transactions coming out the ears and Bethesda have given themselves an impossible task balancing between the champion skills, health, armor, speed, weapons, and the nightmare that is match-making.

The core gameplay is still there, it feels like Quake, just a molested version of it.

I think that's the best a mainstream studio can do these days if they don't want to take a huge hit in profit. Only smaller and more indie devs can make truly great games like Pillars of Eternity or Shovel Knight, or even the witcher series but that was more of a fluke. To have a game be marketable in the main stream these days more often than not it means features and micro transactions that more traditional hardcore players don't like.

I guess the key is the same as always - supporting the modding community. If Quake gives out nice tools for mapping and content creation and supports the community that way it could turn into something very great. Games that have good mod support from the devs very often turn into dedicated communities that build more maps and game modes than the original developers could have hoped like how CS was spawned from HL and the myriad of mods for minecraft without which the game would be nearly nothing in comparison.

Same here. At it's core, it's still Quake Arena style gameplay. You can stick with that style all you want (I did most of the time) and had a great time and even got some great kills. It's still beta, so some things were reported in the survey, but overall - damn I had a fucking blast!

I love the beta, and it's going to be one of the few games I buy on launch. Just have a great time with Quake.

Game will launch F2P with Ranger as the only playable champion. You will then play for Favor to rent champions in 24 hours increments or use real money to purchase them outright. I am ok with this idea especially with how good Ranger is as a starter character.

Really? No comparisons to Overwatch yet? Once in a match, that is exactly what it felt like to me.

The maps didnt seem wide open enough, the characters are large and feel kind of slow (though I'll admit this could be an illusion based on view point and map size); no server customization to change things like weapon type, firnedly damage, self damage, etc. I didnt feel like every character was the same, and that the only thing separating players was skill and map knowledge

I wanted Q3A, I got Overwatch

I definitely did spend several rounds trying to get my mouse to where I wanted it.

Are we just talking about mouse speed? I noticed it seems to "float" a lot more than I would like. Also I wonder if there is some kind of auto aim assist going on, because I was killing it with the railgun the other night, and that hardly ever happens.

I jumped in and felt right at home. There was almost no learning curve, mouse felt right. I set my controls and started playing. That was always the great thing about Quake and Doom, generally they just feel right out of the gate, plug and play. That was my experience here as well.

Really? No comparisons to Overwatch yet? Once in a match, that is exactly what it felt like to me.

The maps didnt seem wide open enough, the characters are large and feel kind of slow (though I'll admit this could be an illusion based on view point and map size); no server customization to change things like weapon type, firnedly damage, self damage, etc. I didnt feel like every character was the same, and that the only thing separating players was skill and map knowledge

I wanted Q3A, I got Overwatch
Never played Overwatch, never will. So irrelevant. Also Overwatch hasn't been around as long as Quake, so if anything, Overwatch owes Quake, not the other way around. Doubt they saw Overwatch and then decided, oh, lets copy that. They been building the game longer than Overwatch has been live.

I too wanted Q3 Arena with better graphics. But they never once said we were going to get that, so complaining about it is pointless.

Never played Overwatch, never will. So irrelevant. Also Overwatch hasn't been around as long as Quake, so if anything, Overwatch owes Quake, not the other way around. Doubt they saw Overwatch and then decided, oh, lets copy that. They been building the game longer than Overwatch has been live.

Without playing the game, you're going to argue the comparison based on nostalgia?

Sure, Overwatch took a page from the Quake-style game by making a FPS and putting them in an area for team Vs team play. Quake Champions 'borrowed' microtransactions to unlock characters or cosmetic junk; character defined special abilities;an emphasis on team unity; loot boxes; and while admittedly thin, even arena layouts seem familiar to Overwatch.

I'm not saying Champions is a bad game, in fact, I'll be on this weekend since the Beta is open again for us. But it is easy to draw parallels, so easy that it deters from it being a true Quake game to me.

Game will launch F2P with Ranger as the only playable champion. You will then play for Favor to rent champions in 24 hours increments or use real money to purchase them outright. I am ok with this idea especially with how good Ranger is as a starter character.

Hmmm. Decent model. I'm sure I'd buy a couple. I'd rather have the complete game from the start, but this will really build a huge player pool. I don't like it like that, but I see that model working just fine. I'm already in to get it and buy a few champions outright. Cool. :)

Im not arguing anything based on nostalgia. Im just saying that comparing them is meaningless to me, and also that it has in fact been compared to OW plenty, with some people citing the trivial likness and others arguing the gameplay is entirely different.

OW is class based QC is champion based. One an Arena shotter at its core the other a tf2 moba concoction.

And while im sure OW is a good game for what it is, not interested. To me it looks boring, ive watched plenty of vids of it ect. QC seemingly appeals to me more.

The main point was, it has been compared to OW, so no need to seem so flabergasted that it hasn't and that people who i have seen discuss it that have played both say they are not really that similar at all gameplay wise.
And that if anything OW has borrowed plenty from multiple sources, so why not flabergasted about the many comparisons OW has to all that it pulled from, and what would be the point anyway.

Last edited:
I guess Quake Champions will never see the Crackwhore skins all the women in our lan group would wear, lol.

Q2 was the total Shiznet; and I really think now that Crysis Wars was the peak of Balanced Multiplayer. With Nukes, no less. :)

I tried it this last weekend. Didn't play very long cause i couldn't ever get it to feel right. Movement was sluggish and the mouse is floaty.

Far far cry from Q3A. Here's hoping they can fix it come launch.

I tried it this last weekend. Didn't play very long cause i couldn't ever get it to feel right. Movement was sluggish and the mouse is floaty.

Far far cry from Q3A. Here's hoping they can fix it come launch.

Yeah I played it again last weekend hoping they fixed that issue, no joy.
I even jacked the mouse sensitivity to 100% to try and offset the atrocious lag I was getting to no avail.
Jumping and spinning to track foes is where it really shows up, I thought I was just getting old and losing my edge. :p

Back