Randomly Lost your COD4 Rank?

Porter_

[H]F Junkie
somehow my COD4 MP rank got reset. was at lvl 29 and now i'm starting back at lvl 1. didn't take long to get to lvl 29, so not a big deal for me. but some of the generals might want to avoid this.

supposedly this patch fixes this known issue:

http://www.infinityward.com/modernwarfare/patch/

* I don't know if this patch will reset your rank, as my rank was already back at lvl 1 when i patched. use this at your own risk.

Are you kidding me.. I'm a General too. God I don't want to know if this would fuck up my rank. Spent a lot of time (1d14h to be lvl 55) Kinda makes me mad that IW didn't do it like BF2 - tied to your account or cd key permanently with a database server or something like that.

I reformated tonight and lost my Rank 48. It's beyond me why they don't keep stats server side; tied to your cd key. I really only use the m4 though so its not a real big loss.

Just make a backup of your 'players' folder every once in a while. The MP data including your ranks and shit is in there as well.

I was wondering how they kept the ranks, I was hoping they did keep it on their servers. Doesn't the fact that it is stored in your profile makes it easier to hack to a higher rank?

I dual boot XP and Vista and when I moved my profiles folder from my XP partition (where I was playing the game first) to my Vista Partition it corrupted my mpdata file so my rank got reset.

I was only at like lvl 15 so no biggie, but still, it was kinda annoying

I was wondering how they kept the ranks, I was hoping they did keep it on their servers. Doesn't the fact that it is stored in your profile makes it easier to hack to a higher rank?

I was wondering about this as well...

Yes, it's very easy to do and apparently punkbuster doesn't see it. Real dumb move not having this info stored server side.

the game would lose a lot of it's fun if i didn't have leveling up to look forward to. unlocking new weapons keeps it interesting for me, so people who work around this are killing a major part of the game's entertainment value. same reason i still play BF2 on a regular basis. it's rewarding to spend time with and pay your dues with lesser weapons so you can unlock the cooler ones.

seriously, they make leveling, accomplishments, and unlocks a LOT of fun. I haven't minded at all! Thanks for this info, I'll back it up right now!

Back