Random video signal loss, 6900XT...tried all the new drivers

CaptainMorgan

[H]ollywood
So while it doesn't happen often, its enough where I have lost plenty of close matches and I'm 99% going to ditch and go Nvidia.

Basically, my monitor loses Signal (Viewsonic XG2431) and I need to reboot to get it back. I can hear the game etc running, just zero video signal.

Last edited:
So while it doesn't happen often, its enough where I have lost plenty of close matches that I'm 99% going to ditch and go Nvidia.

Basically, my monitor loses Signal (Viewsonic XG2431) and I need to reboot to get it back. I can hear the game etc running, just zero video signal.
Have you tried a different video cable?

Have you tried updating your motherboad bios?

The downloads page for that monitor has drivers. Have you tried those?
https://www.viewsonic.com/global/products/lcd/XG2431#downloads

Interesting, ill try the monitor drivers as well. Didn't think about that. Mobo Bios is up to date as well.

I play Apex quite a bit, so I mainly notice in that game. I think it might have happened in CoD as well.

When it happens, do you get the hardware disconnected sound, like you get when you pull out a USB drive?

I ask because it's possible for this to happen when the GPU crashes or shuts down. You could check this by probing the card with a multimeter to see if the GPU power rail is still at the proper voltage, but looking at my 6900XT, I don't see anywhere it would be convenient to do that without partially disassembling the card. I'd imagine some games are more tolerant of the graphics card going away than others, but I'm not familiar with how either of those handle this.

No disconnect sound, just a straight black screen, everything stays powered on and system sounds still come through.

I used a crappy old HDMI cable the other day and my screen kept blanking out, I had to shut off HDR for it to stop.

What's your CPU and motherboard (really it's more about chipset, like X570, B550, etc.)?

Swap cable and or cable port or at least a logical first step would be unplugging cable from PC and monitor then giving it a solid re-seat.

wasn't this a problem with AMD 5 series cards as well...I do know 6 series have had some HDMI issues and flickering...

Probably the hdmi decoder in the monitor if you can't find any other possible cause. They can be overdriven or have insufficient cooling, causing them to drop out or die completely. Sometimes the hdmi ports can be damaged from hot-plugging, too.

I have this problem at low loads in the desktop only. Disabling HW acceleration seemed to help for me. Have not tried latest drivers. Mostly seems Zoom and chrome were causing my driver crashes which would black-out my screen but everything continues in background. recovery time was 30 seconds to 1min. Never had this issue prior to my 6700XT. Same desktop and components, just new video card. I will say I don't have issues in games

I have this problem at low loads in the desktop only. Disabling HW acceleration seemed to help for me. Have not tried latest drivers. Mostly seems Zoom and chrome were causing my driver crashes which would black-out my screen but everything continues in background. recovery time was 30 seconds to 1min. Never had this issue prior to my 6700XT. Same desktop and components, just new video card. I will say I don't have issues in games
This is an issue related to a windows feature called MPO(multi plane overlay), it's supposed to be fixed in the last 2 drivers but I haven't followed up to see if it actually fixed it for everyone. There's also a registry edit that that disables MPO that usually fixes the issue, ironically it was found by AMD users on the Nvidia site because Nvidia was having an issue with it for a few driver versions too. I'm running the latest drivers but I haven't re-enabled MPO to see if it's fixed.

This is an issue related to a windows feature called MPO(multi plane overlay), it's supposed to be fixed in the last 2 drivers but I haven't followed up to see if it actually fixed it for everyone. There's also a registry edit that that disables MPO that usually fixes the issue, ironically it was found by AMD users on the Nvidia site because Nvidia was having an issue with it for a few driver versions too. I'm running the latest drivers but I haven't re-enabled MPO to see if it's fixed.
Link to the registry's key please

Had a similar problem with my nvidia card but it wasn't during games.

It turned out that my display port on my monitor is causing the issue, that monitor works fine in HDMI.

FrEaKy was just dealing with this too.

So it happened again, I tried the display reset, monitor reset and had MPO tweak on the registry.

I am still testing the tweak on mine 6700XT. I have dual Screens with different refresh rates as well. Monitor port?

So it happened again, I tried the display reset, monitor reset and had MPO tweak on the registry.

try a few different cables.. AMD drivers are very sensitive to cable quality while nvidia's drivers will cheat to make up for the poor signal by downgrading it. but do the troubleshooting basics first before wasting your time with registry crap.. the only odd thing i'm seeing is that the signals not coming back, with a cable that's slightly bad usually it'll just cause the monitor to restart after a few seconds or at least that's always been my case(had to go through 4 amazon DP cables before i found one my V56 liked). i don't know if you have any type of overclock or adjusted memory timings but one off the wall idea if everything else doesn't pan out is potentially memory/cpu stability issues.

Yes, I have tried a full clean install and only use the drivers, no minimal/full install.

I've sent it in, I just hope they give me a new GPU, as the problem is so sporadic that I'm positive they won't be able to duplicate it.

Back