Random Slow Performance w/ Ryzen

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
So overall my Ryzen rig is running nice. However, sometimes loading a game will result in tanked performance, dropping from 60fps+ normally to 20fps. Originally I assumed it was the video card (was running RX 480 CF) but I replaced with a 1080 Ti and the same thing happens. Once the PC gets in this bad state, performance remains slow, however rebooting will usually fix it. When it is working, it works great and performance will stay fine for the duration.

Stuff I have tried include removing all overclocking, resetting BIOS, flashing BIOS back to stock (was briefly on a beta version), and DDU clean video driver and reinstall.

Now I feel it is either the CPU or the motherboard. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Ryzen 1800X w/ MSI X370 Titanium.

Sounds like a driver bug. I really highly doubt its motherboard, memory or cpu issue. I would recommend doing a fresh install if you keep having this issue.

How old is the PSU? any chance it could be a loose wire to something from the PSU? Does it happen more frequently once the pc heats up?

So overall my Ryzen rig is running nice. However, sometimes loading a game will result in tanked performance, dropping from 60fps+ normally to 20fps. Originally I assumed it was the video card (was running RX 480 CF) but I replaced with a 1080 Ti and the same thing happens. Once the PC gets in this bad state, performance remains slow, however rebooting will usually fix it. When it is working, it works great and performance will stay fine for the duration.

Stuff I have tried include removing all overclocking, resetting BIOS, flashing BIOS back to stock (was briefly on a beta version), and DDU clean video driver and reinstall.

Now I feel it is either the CPU or the motherboard. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Ryzen 1800X w/ MSI X370 Titanium.

Sounds like some rogue power saving turning on. Can you monitor clock speeds when it happens?

Just to throw another idea out there, maybe it's overheating and throttling, and a reboot resets it?

It's a brand new computer and install of Windows 10. I have it set to High Performance mode.

Overheating is a possibility. I didn't have CPU temp in the OSD but that is something I can check on. I can also check disk usage if it happens again.

I'm not using hibernate, but I have used sleep. Thanks for your input, everyone, maybe some of this will help.

So it's been a few days and everything has been fine, then tonight the glitch came back. I managed to get a video this time, the numbers are totally off.

Normally I can get 60fps solid in GTA V, when the glitch happens it drops to around 25fps. Restarting the game doesn't help.

You can see the CPU 1 is pegged at 100% the whole time (normally none of the cores will go above 50% or so) and GPU usage jumps around from 0% to 100% (normally both GPUs would be at 100%)

CPU temperature is fine at 53 degrees. I don't know what's wrong, please help.

Disk usage is at 0% for both drives, no network activity, and RAM is using 8GB out of 32GB.

So it's been a few days and everything has been fine, then tonight the glitch came back. I managed to get a video this time, the numbers are totally off.

Normally I can get 60fps solid in GTA V, when the glitch happens it drops to around 25fps. Restarting the game doesn't help.

You can see the CPU 1 is pegged at 100% the whole time (normally none of the cores will go above 50% or so) and GPU usage jumps around from 0% to 100% (normally both GPUs would be at 100%)

CPU temperature is fine at 53 degrees. I don't know what's wrong, please help.

Maybe using 2 GPUs and a SSD with NVMe x4 PCIe is causing the glitch *shrug*.

You able to test it for a little while with just one GPU?
Cheers

After you exit the game, is the first core still pegged at 100%?
That's a good question. I haven't noticed any problems on the desktop, but I guess it would be hard to tell without checking it.

Is it only in GTA V?
Have you tried disabling one GPU, maybe switching them?
It's not only GTA. Far Cry Primal has the same issue. I have tried the system with each card by itself (and that was OK, but I only tested quick) and I did even swap the cards and the problem still happens. However, I don't think it is GPU or Crossfire related as I briefly used a 1080 Ti on this system, and that had the same problem too.

That's a good question. I haven't noticed any problems on the desktop, but I guess it would be hard to tell without checking it.

It's not only GTA. Far Cry Primal has the same issue. I have tried the system with each card by itself (and that was OK, but I only tested quick) and I did even swap the cards and the problem still happens. However, I don't think it is GPU or Crossfire related as I briefly used a 1080 Ti on this system, and that had the same problem too.

Yeah I am not convinced it is sli/crossfire per se but the amount of PCIe gen 3 being used or motherboard.
This is a mighty headache but if you are convinced it is not coming back to running dual GPUs, the next step is to try a SSD that is not NVMe PCIe 16 x4 gen 3 with both GPUs - yeah a serious amount of work but as you say you have tried both AMD and Nvidia so it is not driver related and comes back to PCIe in some way whether it be underlying to AMD design or motherboard from MSI.
I notice others have dual 480s in their profile and not had any issues, but they are not using NVMe x4 PCIe gen 3.

That said the most likely candidate though is the motherboard firmware causing the problem; whether that just be dual GPUs or combination of that and NVMe (less likely this if it is the motherboard from MSI) but I doubt you really want to try a different motherboard manufacturer just yet.
That may be the best option and try RMA the board to a different manufacturer *shrug*, or if you have a non-NVMe x4 gen3 SSD can try that 1st.
Lot of work either way, maybe try the MSI support forum.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. That does make sense. I think I will probably wait for BIOS and other updates first before getting another board. Especially since the machine works perfect about 80% of the time. Even with the 20% of the time when it gets in the slow state, I can fix it with a restart (which also makes me suspect Windows could be at fault).

Back