Random Reboots ASUS P5Q Pro

KSL

Weaksauce
RAM : OCZ2G8004GK 4GB
CPU : Q6600 (2.4 Ghz) Stock HSF, no overclocking
Motherboard : ASUS P5Q Pro
Video card : ATI AIW X1900
Power Supply : Antec Earthwatt 600w

I had another thread in this forum, but I can't seem to locate it. Sorry if I placed it too many times. My computer has the parts listed above. It has been working fine for two weeks before the random restarts happened. I tried to test each component at a time, I took the RAM out and tested them individually at each DIMM, and paired up. It still restarted randomly at different points during boot up. After trying to test each component individually, I thought it was the motherboard that was defective, so I went for a RMA. And tested it again today when the new one arrived, it restarted randomly again. By that I mean it would restart even if I was looking at the settings in the BIOS, or sometimes when I get into Windows for 5 or 10 minutes, it would restart. Now I really don't know if its the RAM or whatever else that started causing these random restarts, I'm just really stuck right now. Any help is really appreciated!

KSL

sound like PSU. Can you test it or try with antother unit?

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of the same thing. I have an old no brand P4 power supply that I know works. But on the motherboard there is a 6 port power plug (like a graphic card power plug), rather than the original P4 4 port plug. My question is would it be able to power up with only the original P4 4 port plug? Because in the manual it said that the motherboard will not power up without the 6 port power plugged in.

KSL

no, I don't think it's going to work, the 6pin plug is to power the cpu. So 4pin one is not enough juice to run today cpu. Maybe you can borrow a psu from your friend so you can determind if it's your PSU is the culprit.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of the same thing. I have an old no brand P4 power supply that I know works. But on the motherboard there is a 6 port power plug (like a graphic card power plug), rather than the original P4 4 port plug. My question is would it be able to power up with only the original P4 4 port plug? Because in the manual it said that the motherboard will not power up without the 6 port power plugged in.

KSL

First off the P5Q Pro has an 8pin cpu connector (there is no such thing as a 6 pin cpu connector), however if you noticed when you first recieved the board half of it was covered up by a black cover. This is because you only need the 4 pin unless you are doing extreme overclocking, then the 8 pin is there for extra juice. You can use a PSU with a P4 connecter as long as is powerful enough for the system and also has a 20+4pin connector for the main connector.

Am facing the same prob on my ASUS P5Q pro with Q6600.

@KSL: Please post if you were able to determine the cause and resolve the problem.

The config I have is,
Q6600 GO stepping
ASUS P5Q Pro
Transcend DDR2 800 Mhz 2GB
PSU: Corsair VX450w
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4850

Any help with this would be appreciated (BTW I have not tried updating the BIOS as yet will be doing that later today).

Am facing the same prob on my ASUS P5Q pro with Q6600.

@KSL: Please post if you were able to determine the cause and resolve the problem.

The config I have is,
Q6600 GO stepping
ASUS P5Q Pro
Transcend DDR2 800 Mhz 2GB
PSU: Corsair VX450w
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4850

Any help with this would be appreciated (BTW I have not tried updating the BIOS as yet will be doing that later today).

I haven't solve the problem yet..have been ridiculously busy with school till this past week. I have gotten a new power supply and tried it out 2 days ago. It still does the same thing...restarting at random intervals. I tried to run Prime95, but it would die after 7-8hrs..and would start restarting. I thought it might be heat, so I removed the side panels and took a house fan to blow directly into the case. Ran Prime95 again, no luck..start to restart after 5hrs or so. When it was on full load, the highest CPU temp is 53c (avg) with the case opened. Then I ran Memtest+84, which lasted around 5hrs or so, and it died again. Restarts, restarts, and restarts. I'm really stumped right now...if anyone could help that will great!

I haven't solve the problem yet..have been ridiculously busy with school till this past week. I have gotten a new power supply and tried it out 2 days ago. It still does the same thing...restarting at random intervals. I tried to run Prime95, but it would die after 7-8hrs..and would start restarting. I thought it might be heat, so I removed the side panels and took a house fan to blow directly into the case. Ran Prime95 again, no luck..start to restart after 5hrs or so. When it was on full load, the highest CPU temp is 53c (avg) with the case opened. Then I ran Memtest+84, which lasted around 5hrs or so, and it died again. Restarts, restarts, and restarts. I'm really stumped right now...if anyone could help that will great!

I had the same problem a few years ago with my old P4/2.4c system that drove me nuts. It took me months to figure it out. In my case the problem turned out to be my video card.

I never had any artifacts or anything like that so I thought the video card was good. But after months of messing around with it I replaced it (a ATI 9600 non pro) with another video card to a evga 7600gs and the problems went away. Never got those annoying random restarts again. My guess is that it was a bad memory chip on the video card.

Only way to tell for sure is swap out the video card for a while and see what happens. It may or may not be your problem.

Okay..so a little update...I have tried it with a new video card, and the random restarts still occur. Yesterday, I borrowed my friend's working crosair memory, and still it randomly restarts itself. So...as of now, I have exhausted a lot of the parts that could cause the problem. Here is what I have tried to change, but no success in fixing this:

1) Ram - ran my own pass 17hrs of tests before, borrowed another piece from a friend and still no luck
2) Power Supply - pretty much the same as above, and got nowhere
3) Video card - got a new one and nothing
5) Mobo - got a RMA, thinking that it was the problem when the random restart first began
4) HD - tried in another working computer and it runs fine

So I am really down to the last 2 questions or the only 2 things I haven't tried changing yet...Could it actually be the CPU that's busted?? How do I go about trying this without having to buy another one?? Also, could a short or something inside the case be causing these random restarts?

Looks like you have a real tough one to solve. I doubt it's the cpu, as long as it has not been over-volted, but I guess it's possible.

After every thing you have done, I would concentrate on it either being the P5Q Pro or something is screwy with the power outlet your PC is plugged into. If you have a meter, check the voltage at the power outlet your pc is plugged into. It should be around 115v, but it could be as low as 107v or as high as 125v. If its any higher or lower than that, then that could be the problem.

If your power outlet is good, the only thing left in my opinion is the mother board.

Word on the street is that this thing seems to pull more power then it probably should, i'd recommend tracking down an 850w PSU+ and trying that if the option is available.

Looks like you have a real tough one to solve. I doubt it's the cpu, as long as it has not been over-volted, but I guess it's possible.

After every thing you have done, I would concentrate on it either being the P5Q Pro or something is screwy with the power outlet your PC is plugged into. If you have a meter, check the voltage at the power outlet your pc is plugged into. It should be around 115v, but it could be as low as 107v or as high as 125v. If its any higher or lower than that, then that could be the problem.

If your power outlet is good, the only thing left in my opinion is the mother board.

I have just tried it with a different outlet and power cable..still no go. And as for the power supply needing 850watts+, I don't think that's the case...because I ran through one of those power consumption tests from Antec, and 600+ would be plenty for my system. Also, I decided to yank everything out to run the thing on a piece of cardboard it would still restart by itself...so now a short in the case is out of the question. Anything else that I should look at? Or that I missed to check?

KSL

Found your thread here, and I've been experiencing a simular issue. I recently upgraded to a Quad Core, from a Dual, and changed to Vista from XP on this system. The observance I made was that my system(we have 3) isn't the only system that has been rebooting, as a matter of fact, all 3 have in the past week at some point or another. This leads me to believe that I'm drawing too much power on a single breaker/outlet(spread out on 2 outlets, but using the same breaker), and having troubles. I've pulled out a long extension cord, and run it across the room, and running one of the systems on that. We'll see if this fixes my issue. Definitely odd... if there is too much amperage being pulled then why isn't the breaker popping?? maybe I need something to test power.

i have like the same issue here.

Seems the ASUS P5Q Pro have conflicts with some VGA Cards.
Example here way: (allways with the same model mobo)

ASUS9800GTX+TOP : this combi have to do with cold reboots at random times
8800GT : same as the first one.
i tried some old vga cards like nVidia 4850 etc and the system seams to work peftectly and stable.

Also i can tryed many things as Bios update,others parts like PSU,or different drivers version for both (vga/mobo).

My opinion is that ASUS P5Q Pro have some incompatibility issues with some VGA cards,i cant explain anything else that might be the problem.

p.s. sorry for my english.

Back