Random Reboot on New Build - at wits end!

TwistedAegis

[H]F Junkie
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend, who I've been working on attempting to troubleshoot his new SB build..

THE ISSUE

During driver installs and windows updates the system will randomly reboot. A few times it locked up and had to be manually powered down.

System has crashed during installing win7, after install, during driver updates, during windows updates, and when its idle.

No log in event viewer with clues.

No BSoD with error code. just reboot and post or complete lock up every time.

Build specs:

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3.0
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance 9-9-9-24 1.50v
XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 (1st pcie 16x slot [blue])
OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 (3rd pcie 16x slot [black])
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
SilverStone Raven 2 (RV02)
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Secondary hardware used for testing:

ThermalTake 750W PSU
Nvidia GTX 280
40GB SATA 7200RPM HD

Steps taken

Windows 7 installed fine & disabled prefetch, superfetch, defragging and indexing.

Check on system and CPU Temps… Temps are good.
Tested all 4 sticks of memory 1 at a time with no change.

Moved RevoDrive to second pcie slot (light blue) that shares bandwith with the first pcie slot the Vid card is in, but no change.

Removed RevoDrive and replaced it with a norm 7200 RPM Sata drive (reinstalled Win7). No change

Swapped Vid Cards. No change

Swapped PSU’s. No change.

RMA’d RevoDrive. No change

RMA'd MoBo. No change. Grounds were checked and re-checked; before RMA'ing the mobo he stripped down the entire build and rebuilt it. Didn't help.

Pretty much the only part that hasn't been RMA'ed or swapped out is the CPU, however the problem he is experiencing doesn't seem to make sense that it would be caused by a faulty CPU. I'm hoping some of you here at the [H] might have some insight here, because we're at our wits end. I've built a decent number of machines and he actually manages the IT for a small engineering company, so between us we've got a decent bit of experience here, but we're stumped. :confused: :(

It may indeed be the CPU as those issues are also symptoms of a CPU issue.

Just guessing, this is what i'd try.

Try loosing the timing's of the Ram and giving it slightly higher voltages. (example from 1.5 to 1.52), try different ram as well if you have that option

Should be able to lock the cpu multiplier at a lower setting as well to test the cpu, see what the bios is setting the cpu voltage to, try it with 1.35 if it's ~ 1.2, try with hyperthreading off

Try a linux live cd with just the motherboard, cpu, ram, and cdrom (i.e. no hard drives or other items plugged into the mobo)

After RMA'ing the CPU, Intel stated the memory controller was fried due to running the XMP for the Corsair RAM (1600). Just thought I'd follow up to see if anyone else has had this happen or heard of this occurring, as I'm about to put my own build together this weekend with gSkill RAM which also has a XMP for 1600.

Haven't heard of this happening but sounds very plausible since the memory controller on those Core i series CPUs only support up to DDR3 1333 RAM speeds.

I've got the same CPU, RAM and my mobo is the ASUS P8H67-M EVO. Have had the same issues. I went through trying different components as PS, CPU.. Updated to the latest BIOS. Drivers are all up to date.

Swapped out the RAM for another corsair line and haven't had any issues at all. For now I've put that RAM aside until I can play a bit more with the BIOS settings to see if I can get them to actually stay 100% stable.

Back