Random HDD Questions/File Size Inaccurate?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by FenFox, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:29 AM.

1. FenFox

FenFox Limp Gawd

Ok, I've got 4 questions.

1.) Can filling up a HDD to 100% capacity cause performance issues or shorten the lifespan of the hard drive? If so, what's the cutoff point before I'll notice performance degradation/shorten lifespan? Keeping in mind, I'm not running Windows/programs from this HDD, It's just used for storage/accessing media. Also, does the same rule apply to RAID?

2.) I notice a few HDDs in my PC are only fastened down with 2 screws instead of 4 like the others in my computer. Due to the drive bay spacing of the screw holes, there's no way to use 4 screws. Since they're only held down by 2 screws I can easily lift up one end of the HDD with a single finger. I'm wondering, since they're not completely fastened with 4 screws, can this result is vibration issues over time?

3.) I sort've asked this once before, but I ran some additional tests. I notice when I transfer files from one HDD to another, there can often be differences in bytes. Sometimes It's fairly dramatic and other times it's subtle. And yes, even with hidden files/folders selected and every other applicable folder option I can think of with just a single file in a folder, there can still be a difference. Even if I use TeraCopy to hash check via MD5 during and after the transfer, TeraCopy says the transferred file is 100% correct, if so, what would explain the reduced file size? I think someone said this may be a Windows bug.

4.) If I right click a file > Properties, Windows says GB, but do they really mean GiB? Because I notice when I download files, websites will often say GiB, but when I check the file in Windows It'll say GB, but I think Windows really calculates in GiB, so why not list it as GiB? There's a difference.

1 Gigabyte = 1000 Megabytes
    1 Gibibyte = 1073.74 Megabytes

Also, kind've annoying, but if say--as an example--I download a file from a site that says: 26.68 GiB, then I right click > Properties in Windows, it'll just say 26.6x (missing the 8) which leaves me to calculate the bytes. WHY can't Windows display the full file size in GB/GiB? Is there a third party piece of software I can use that will make this calculation? Because I backup A LOT of data and It's very important for me to know if my transfers/backups are accurate. I need 100% identical files, but Windows 10 doesn't exactly instill confidence.

TeraCopy & Missing 8.png

2. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

1: no not for the harddrive.
    But if you system expect free space and there is not funny thing can happen.

2: na.h
    but for sounds issues 4 screws would be better

3: You are doing something wrong then. or looking at the wrong numbers size on disk and filesize are not the same
    Filesize is how big the files are ( and on your picture its the same
    Size on disk is how much diskpace is reserved for containing the file

You reserve diskspace in lumps at at ime called clusters. if the cluster size is different. files will take up different amount of diskspac.e however they contain the same amount of date. the waste is diffrent
    See its this way/ you have 2 ppl and buy them each a house. if you buy them both a huge house they take up more space. but ist still the same amount of ppl. just a lot of empty rooms)

Also GiB i believe is not a standard. is just something ppl came up with to denote he difference.

4: Because it only shows 3 digits. so once you go above 10 of something it will only show 1 number after the comma/dot