Random Color banding issue.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I have a recurring issue where I will start to notice obvious color banding on images in websites or images on my computer. It only does it on my center monitor (Samsung C32HG70 32" 1440P 144hz HDR monitor) and not either of my side monitors (HP ZR2740W 27" 1440P 60hz non-HDR monitors).

My temporary fix is to go into the Windows HD Color settings, select my main Samsung Display, and then toggle "Use HDR" On then Off. I always leave it off, I just use that toggle to fix this issue. I don't think that this issue is necessarily even related to HDR, I think that toggle simply resets the display driver, thereby fixing whatever is causing the problem. I don't even know if this is a Display issue, or a videocard / driver issue, or what. I'm assuming it's display related because it only happens on 1/3 of my monitors.

Interestingly, this doesn't seem to happen while gaming. It mainly happens while browsing the web.

Can you take a photo of the effect? If toggling HDR on and off fixes the issue, I am going to take a stab and say that it is the delineation between the edge lights that you are seeing, and the temporary fix is from your eyes readjusting to the change in brightness.

try this combo and see if it "fixes" it like your method.
Reset Display Driver Shortcut Key: Ctrl + Windows + Shift + B

I used to have that same monitor, that is a known issue with them. Mine started like that, then over time it got worse and worse with distortion filling up the screen near the end for around 5 mins until it warmed up and went back to normal.

I used to have that same monitor, that is a known issue with them. Mine started like that, then over time it got worse and worse with distortion filling up the screen near the end for around 5 mins until it warmed up and went back to normal.

There has never been any correlation between the issue I'm having and the monitor "warming up". It happens at random and goes away when I toggle the HDR setting on and off (I almost always leave it off). The problem doesn't get better or worse on it's own, it stays the same until I "fix" it by toggling that HDR setting.

I forgot to try Ctrl + Windows + Shift + B

Can you take a photo of the effect?

Below is a picture I took of my monitor while the problem was occurring. The banding is particularly easy to notice on the paws.

Banding.jpg

Original image for comparison:

catavatar.jpg

Last edited:
I can confirm now that "Ctrl + Windows + Shift + B" does fix the issue when it occurs. That's much more convenient, thank you. I'm still very curious about why it's happening in the first place.

I assume it is a heat issue, as mine got very hot after using it for hours, plus it does have the PSU inside the monitor....something most of their other ones dont. I just figure the heat slowly cooked the chipset inside until it started having issues.

I assume it is a heat issue, as mine got very hot after using it for hours, plus it does have the PSU inside the monitor....something most of their other ones dont. I just figure the heat slowly cooked the chipset inside until it started having issues.

Seems odd that a driver reset would fix a heat issue within the display. And this is happening in the dead of winter when I'm often wearing a jacket while sitting at the computer.

Yours is no where near as bad as mine was before I replaced it, mine had 5 mins of garbage on screen until it finally decided to work. When it first started doing it, changing resolution or refresh fixed it. Then I reached a point where it no longer did so, then I just had to wait for it to fix itself. I put a lot of hours on mine the 4 years I used it, sometimes 12-15 hours a day...so I assume that took its toll.

Yours is no where near as bad as mine was before I replaced it, mine had 5 mins of garbage on screen until it finally decided to work. When it first started doing it, changing resolution or refresh fixed it. Then I reached a point where it no longer did so, then I just had to wait for it to fix itself. I put a lot of hours on mine the 4 years I used it, sometimes 12-15 hours a day...so I assume that took its toll.

In the process of trying to research the issue I'm having I have come across quite a few posts that seem to talk about the issue you had (example). I'm not convinced that issue is related to the issue that I'm having.

A common theme with that issue is that it occurs when the monitor is cold and goes away after the monitor warms up. I don't recall ever having my issue when the monitor is first turned on. It happens randomly while I'm using it. It doesn't go away on it's own. The color banding simply remains the same until the display driver is reset. There are no horizontal lines or noticeable corruption on the screen other than the color banding. It also never happens during gaming. It usually happens while browsing the web. It hasn't been getting any better or worse over time, and only happens maybe once or twice per week on average (that's why it took me a bit to update the thread with pics). Maybe my monitor will develop that issue at some point but i'm pretty sure that's not what's going on with it now.

Yeah it doesnt sound exactly like my problem, but it might be a related issue with the monitor. The fact that it is only this monitor and not your other ones does kinda point to it being the issue. Might be a backlight issue also as your banded picture looks a lot darker than the original one.

Back