Random cellphone appearing on my home network

infin|ty

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm a bit concerned, when I go to my network on my PC I see a XT912_Verizon showing up under Phones in my network properties. It has very little info assigned to it, other than a mac address.

My wife and I both have iPhones...any thoughts on where this is coming from? I have WPA2 encryption on our network.

droid razer maxx on verizon set your router to block mac addresses that are not trusted.

I'm a bit concerned, when I go to my network on my PC I see a XT912_Verizon showing up under Phones in my network properties. It has very little info assigned to it, other than a mac address.

My wife and I both have iPhones...any thoughts on where this is coming from? I have WPA2 encryption on our network.

Change the WPA2 passphrase...

Are you sure the device actually had access to your network?

I've seen it where any device that attempts to connect, even if it fails, will still show up in the connected devices list. That's because it was in-fact "connected", briefly, while it was attempting to authenticate with your router. It probably never got beyond that point.

Your wife could have a second phone she didn't tell you about :eek: :p
Or there is someone else in the house!!!! :eek: :eek:

:rolleyes:

It'll stop 99% of people on this site.

This. If you're a networking professional then of course you know better than just to set it and forget it with MAC Address whitelisting/blacklisting, but it still works in damn near all consumer cases.

This... using MAC address filtering is beyond a waste of time, and is trivially countered.

ok well why not use both as both are counter-able with mac filtering it wont even talk to the phone until the mac gets spoofed

It is simple... use 5ghz or use AC... the only cell phones I know that have AC and 5ghz is the GNIII for now. there is probably more.

Change your SSID, dont broadcast it, use or setup a open source free radius server or use 802.1x protocol, or use WPA2 with a hard password and use mac filtering. No one will get on.

It is simple... use 5ghz or use AC... the only cell phones I know that have AC and 5ghz is the GNIII for now. there is probably more.

Change your SSID, dont broadcast it, use or setup a open source free radius server or use 802.1x protocol, or use WPA2 with a hard password and use mac filtering. No one will get on.

IDevices have 5ghz as well.

ok well why not use both as both are counter-able with mac filtering it wont even talk to the phone until the mac gets spoofed

Because WPA2 is better and is much easier to maintain than MAC filtering. Usually layers of security are good, but in this case MAC filtering really is not security at all and is just more hassle for the person who owns the network than anyone trying to access it.

:rolleyes:

It'll stop 99% of people on this site.

change-mac-address-w7-3.png

On this site, no.

On yahoo answers, yes.

IDevices have 5ghz as well.

Most current phones have 5ghz my droid incredible when I patched it to enable 802.11n had it my moms droid Razer maxx has it my gs3 has it the only thing none of them have is 802.11ac

Just change your WPA2 passkey, and forget about it.

Check back in a couple of weeks though to make sure your wife isn't the perpetrator.

MAC address filtering is a pain in the behind to maintain, especially if you have guests. I tried that once. I got my systems in, my tablets, and then phones. Then my dad came for a visit and needed to hook up. it took so long to get it in that he didn't have time to do what he needed. Then he had access for all of three more visit until I had to get a new router because the crappy old one died. I decided MAC address filtering was better off not used.

if you get a mystery device showing up on your network, like I did twice in the last 3 weeks, change the WPA password, for all the good that does. (One of my neighbors appears to be a slacker-hacker type, butting in on other people's networks for free internet. worthless trash.) Better yet, change the name and turn off name broadcasting so he can't even see the network there.

MAC address filtering is a pain in the behind to maintain, especially if you have guests. I tried that once. I got my systems in, my tablets, and then phones. Then my dad came for a visit and needed to hook up. it took so long to get it in that he didn't have time to do what he needed. Then he had access for all of three more visit until I had to get a new router because the crappy old one died. I decided MAC address filtering was better off not used.

if you get a mystery device showing up on your network, like I did twice in the last 3 weeks, change the WPA password, for all the good that does. (One of my neighbors appears to be a slacker-hacker type, butting in on other people's networks for free internet. worthless trash.) Better yet, change the name and turn off name broadcasting so he can't even see the network there.

If he is bypassing your key AND MAC address filtering, hiding the SSID while do absolutely nothing.

Turning of SSID broadcast is actually worse than MAC address filtering. Again it does nothing to prevent people from seeing your network, AirSnort and the like will see your network just fine. Why is it worse than MAC address filtering, because it is actually against the Wifi spec and many devices will not connect properly to your network. Again something that does not prevent someone from accessing your network one bit, but can cause problems for legit users.

Turning of SSID broadcast is actually worse than MAC address filtering. Again it does nothing to prevent people from seeing your network, AirSnort and the like will see your network just fine. Why is it worse than MAC address filtering, because it is actually against the Wifi spec and many devices will not connect properly to your network. Again something that does not prevent someone from accessing your network one bit, but can cause problems for legit users.

I didn't know about AirSnort. Great, even trying to hide is useless against these jerks.

Well, MAC address filtering is just as easily bypassed, too. the MAC addresses of your existing devices can be just taken from the air traffic and used to bypass security as well. I know that much. Plus it is a whole lot of work to maintain.

Is there any decent wireless security that doesn't cost a fortune?

I didn't know about AirSnort. Great, even trying to hide is useless against these jerks.

Well, MAC address filtering is just as easily bypassed, too. the MAC addresses of your existing devices can be just taken from the air traffic and used to bypass security as well. I know that much. Plus it is a whole lot of work to maintain.

Is there any decent wireless security that doesn't cost a fortune?

WPA2

Make sure that when you change your WPA2 password, that you use AES not TKIP, and that you use a passPHRASE not a password.

If you start seeing it show up again, just change your password once a month or so. Eventually whoever it is will stop connecting because of the sheer tediousness of re-cracking your WPA key.

If you have a wireless router with WPS capabilities you can be hacked with relative ease there. Disable it if you can, and reset your WPA2 key to something longer than 8 characters.

Back