RAMs for Intel i7 2600K CPU and a motherboard with Z68 chipset

beyonddc

Limp Gawd
I am planning to build a new computer with Intel i7 2600K CPU and a motherboard with Z68 chipset.

I would like to get 16 GB of RAM (4x4GB), I narrowed down my choices on RAM and would like some opinion.

1) CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
Timing: 9-9-9-24
$89.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347

2) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
Timing: 9-9-9-24
$88.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

3) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH
Timing: 7-7-7-21
$84.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231442

I am all ears on other recommendation. My budget is no more than $100.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm currently using an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2600k too. I had the Corsair Vengence but I had some problems. First the heat spreaders get in the way, you are limited for CPU coolers. I had boot problems later. Can't be 100% sure it was the Corsair memory but I could return them to get something with smaller heat sinks. This is what I got.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360527

It is the Kingston Hyperx Genisis, this also supports the XMP profile if you want to use it. My board is dual channel so yours might be too. I got two of theses, running 16GB ram now, overclocked system @4.5GHz. I can't speak for the other choices.

Be very careful with that RAM: It requires a DIMM voltage of all of 1.65V just to even run at its advertised speed and timings. And as IntelEnthusiast stated in the various forums here at the [H], any DIMM voltages above 1.575V can cause severe and permanent damage to the LGA 1155 CPUs.

And as the Kingston site noted, that RAM came out before Sandy Bridge was even conceived. In fact, Kingston does not sell any RAM faster than DDR3-1333 that is designed for a DIMM voltage lower than 1.65V.

So, it may work fine if the RAM is "underclocked" to DDR3-1333 or even DDR3-1066 at that 1.5V. Bit pushing it to anywhere close to its advertised speed will require voltages that are higher than what the LGA 1155 CPUs can handle.

Last edited:
check the samsung ram i suggested you won't find a better deal.

Be very careful with that RAM: It requires a DIMM voltage of all of 1.65V just to even run at its advertised speed and timings. And as IntelEnthusiast stated in the various forums here at the [H], any DIMM voltages above 1.575V can cause severe and permanent damage to the LGA 1155 CPUs.

And as the Kingston site noted, that RAM came out before Sandy Bridge was even conceived. In fact, Kingston does not sell any RAM faster than DDR3-1333 that is designed for a DIMM voltage lower than 1.65V.

So, it may work fine if the RAM is "underclocked" to DDR3-1333 or even DDR3-1066 at that 1.5V. Bit pushing it to anywhere close to its advertised speed will require voltages that are higher than what the LGA 1155 CPUs can handle.

How can I check that. My temps are great on my CPU. I sometimes run it on auto, sometimes its at [email protected]. I have been trying both to see if theres a difference. The only difference I see is I'm not rebooting anymore, not doing any unwanted behavior. And its on ASUS's compatible vendor list @1.65v.
ETA: Just checked Kingston's site, it's also approved for my motherboard.

Last edited:
Hey fmkenner, I actually bought the same Kingston RAM you bought from Micro Center. I posted my RAM specification on other forums and the feedback I got is similar to what E4gle said. Be very careful with the RAM voltage and preferably underclock it back to DDR3-1333.

I haven't open my RAM yet so I plan to return back to Micro Center.

I also end up purchasing Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA for my motherboard.

Regarding with the Samsung RAM. The voltage is 1.35v. Would this be fine running on my board?

I did more research on the SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) MV-3V4G3D.
. The kit itself is very low profile so that's a plus. It will definitely fit when you have a huge heat sink.

However the default CAS latency is 11-11-11-28. Is this bad?

Most of the RAM is saw, their CAS latency is at the 9's.

ETA: Just checked Kingston's site, it's also approved for my motherboard.

It may be "approved" for your motherboard, but it's actually disapproved for that particular CPU by Intel itself. You see, the memory controller is in the CPU itself, not the motherboard. And the "approved for your motherboard" automatically means that the memory controller is not in the CPU, but a separate controller on the motherboard. Unfortunately, all recent CPUs have their memory controllers completely integrated into the CPU itself.

Last edited:
I did more research on the SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) MV-3V4G3D.
. The kit itself is very low profile so that's a plus. It will definitely fit when you have a huge heat sink.

However the default CAS latency is 11-11-11-28. Is this bad?

Most of the RAM is saw, their CAS latency is at the 9's.

no those are like ultra tame timings i have this exact kit running at 1.5v @ 2133mhz at 10-10-10-28 at the stock 1600mhz speed if you raise the voltage to 1.5v you can get really good timings at cas 7 it even says this on the back of the packaging

also this runs at command rate of 1T which is nice

those Gskills seem really good iam just scared with rebadged ram if it can even run at those rated specs because there is only a few manufactures of the actual ram chips and samsung is one of them those samsung udimms are a new 30nm memory chip technology and they are rock stable even when oced.

no those are like ultra tame timings i have this exact kit running at 1.5v @ 2133mhz at 10-10-10-28 at the stock 1600mhz speed if you raise the voltage to 1.5v you can get really good timings at cas 7 it even says this on the back of the packaging

also this runs at command rate of 1T which is nice

those Gskills seem really good iam just scared with rebadged ram if it can even run at those rated specs because there is only a few manufactures of the actual ram chips and samsung is one of them those samsung udimms are a new 30nm memory chip technology and they are rock stable even when oced.

Thanks for your recommendation. I went with gskills because it has more reviews. The Samsung ram does looks very promising but it didn't get alot of review.

I ordered a set of the Samsung RAM after seeing some awesome things about them.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159320

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...R3-capable-of-2400MHz.-Perfect-for-SFF-builds.

It definitely looks awesome

the samsung ram is magical
i stumbled on to them i was on newegg looking at ram that ran on less than 1.5v and read some customer reviews saysing how they overclocked really well and were very surprising.

I think this shows you that 99.9% of all the ram people buy is because of marketing and binning. Only a few manufactures actually make the ram. So if you buy let say corsair vengance ram then your paying for a 20 or 30% mark up for ads and flashy colored heatsinks.

this samsung ram is based off of 30nm tech do and most of that over priced flashy ram is running 50nm and this samsung ram can be had at microcenter for $45 for 8gb kit

I have 4X4 of the 1.65 DDR3 1600 Kingston ram that MicroCenter had on a really good deal a while back. It clocks fine at it's specified specs with 1.5v. I currently have it running at 1333 - 9,9,9,24 1T though, as I continue to tweak my overclock.

the samsung ram is magical
i stumbled on to them i was on newegg looking at ram that ran on less than 1.5v and read some customer reviews saysing how they overclocked really well and were very surprising.

I think this shows you that 99.9% of all the ram people buy is because of marketing and binning. Only a few manufactures actually make the ram. So if you buy let say corsair vengance ram then your paying for a 20 or 30% mark up for ads and flashy colored heatsinks.

this samsung ram is based off of 30nm tech do and most of that over priced flashy ram is running 50nm and this samsung ram can be had at microcenter for $45 for 8gb kit

Yeah, I stumbled upon the Samsung kit while on techpowerup last week, and I was super stoked about them. They should be arriving soon, maybe Monday/Tuesday. I hope they OC well for me!

My current kit is a set of G Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1866 [email protected], and they OC like crap. I've tried upping voltage all the way to 1.59v, and the best I ever got was [email protected]. Above that voltage, I never was able to tighten the timings. Weak sauce IMO.

I have 4X4 of the 1.65 DDR3 1600 Kingston ram that MicroCenter had on a really good deal a while back. It clocks fine at it's specified specs with 1.5v. I currently have it running at 1333 - 9,9,9,24 1T though, as I continue to tweak my overclock.
Yea I have the Genisis version of Hyperx, running it no problems. I have 4 profiles in OCing I'm playing with. 4.5Ghz, 4.6Ghz, 4.7Ghz, 4.8Ghz. I have tryed both settings here.
1333 9-9-9-24@ 1.5v, and 1600 9-9-9-27@ 1.65. Haven't decided which I prefer. I think on my higher OCing it likes the 1333 settings. I figure you can buy what you want, I'm having great luck with this board and memory choice, I did my research and I'm a user. This board is real user friendly and it seems to play nice with this ram. Oh and from what I'm reading, you dont see much difference in OCing your ram.

Heat/Voltage are 2 separate issues AFAIK.. low of the former doesn't necessarily mean the latter can't be too high

Back