Rampant Speculation about Quake 4

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
Well the purpose of this thread is for people to voice what they think Quake 4 will be like. We all know Doom 3 sucked in everything but graphics, so hopefully Raven can learn from this and make Quake 4 what it should be.

To be quite honest I always found Quake to be the most interesting out of the two anyway. Quake 2 was a great game in its time, I think its also around the time I got my first 3d accelerator ... a Pure 3D =)

SO what do you guys think ? More tactical ? More Action ? DO you think we will all go white blind from the brightness level, as they try to make up for Doom 3's exceedingly dark levels ?

in the couple of screenies i've seen, it looks alot like doom 3, but i'll reserve my final judgement for when the game is released.

More multiplayer is my hope. Quake3 is far and away one of the best multiplayer FPS I have ever played. I like many of Raven's previous game and with id's guidance I am confident this game will be great. Now, when it comes out is another story. I am just hoping for sometime this year.

mr.fishie said:
in the couple of screenies i've seen, it looks alot like doom 3, but i'll reserve my final judgement for when the game is released.

/prays to the strogg

Please dont let Quake 4 be as bad as Doom 3.

its going to be squad-based. there was an article about it in a gaming mag around the time doom3 came out. i dont have the actual mag, just read the scans.

i dont really like squad-based shooters.

The revue I read said, yes it would be squad based, but there would be numerous points where you would be alone and have to fend for yourself.

bonkrowave said:
Well the purpose of this thread is for people to voice what they think Quake 4 will be like. We all know Doom 3 sucked in everything but graphics, so hopefully Raven can learn from this and make Quake 4 what it should be.
First rule of journalism, never give your readers their opinion. I don't think Doom 3 sucked, but with that being said, I do hope that Quake 4 is better than Doom 3 was. I'm looking forward to it. Not sure what to expect at this point though.

Bane said:
First rule of journalism, never give your readers their opinion. I don't think Doom 3 sucked, but with that being said, I do hope that Quake 4 is better than Doom 3 was. I'm looking forward to it. Not sure what to expect at this point though.

Yes you are correct, I thought it was widely acepted that doom 3 sucked. It had amazing graphics but I found the experience to be boring.

/allows his body to be "processed" by the Strogg.

obs said:
More multiplayer is my hope. Quake3 is far and away one of the best multiplayer FPS I have ever played. I like many of Raven's previous game and with id's guidance I am confident this game will be great. Now, when it comes out is another story. I am just hoping for sometime this year.

Quake 4's focus is mostly on single player story.

I enjoyed D3, and, understood the purpose of how they used the darkness.

Q4 shouldn't have as much need of so much darkness.

TheGamerZ said:
You have proof of this info somewhere? With the huge popularity of Q3's multiplayer aspect, I find it very hard to believe that it would be single player only with Q4.

Well, from the screenshots of it so far, it looks like a mod for D3. Same models and everything. I'm praying they totally rewrite their netcode and have their own multiplayer setup. I'm sure the multiplayer won't be nearly as fun as Q3 was. Part in fact to how shitty the D3 engine was for MP. I'm expecting slow lumbering gameplay like D3 had.

I do have have faith in Raven though. They've pulled off other big miracles. Here's hoping they do so with the D3 engine.

Who thinks and hopes that Raven will incorperate an updated version of their GHOUL Technology????? i hope so.. that was my favorite part of SOF 1&2

I thought Doom3 kicked ass. And I hope Quake4 is more like Quake1 or 2 than the fruity Quake3 :p

Special.K said:
Who thinks and hopes that Raven will incorperate an updated version of their GHOUL Technology????? i hope so.. that was my favorite part of SOF 1&2

Oooooooh. That would be sweet! I didn't think of that. I wish more games used that. It was awesome. :D

TheGamerZ said:
In the mag article they talked about this and said they are indeed going to be working hard on the multiplayer. Looking back at SoF2, I can definentely see Raven doing this. SoF2 is one of the very few games with a single player campaign I finished in addition to a MP game I played long after.

I did read in the article, I saw that, they would be focusing on single player much more then they did with Quake 3 ... but hey ! Q3 didn't have any single player anyway.

They equated it to quake 2, where single player was a very big part.

/remembers the birth of particle effects in Q2 ... a little over used but cool none the less.

bonkrowave said:
/prays to the strogg

Please dont let Quake 4 be as bad as Doom 3.

Doom3 wasn't bad...it just got repetitive which turned it into shit. And the end guy sucked at well. Overall I would say it was just as good a "B" class shooter games but it wasn't the "A+" game that it was supposed to be. :(

quake is tired.. unless q4 turns out to be a monster amazing game with supurb gameplay AND performance than I don't think I care anymore.. and I played q1 and q3 for years.. I can only shoot a RL or GL or RG or whatever so many times before it's just plain BORING..

Wolf-R1 said:
Doom3 wasn't bad...it just got repetitive which turned it into shit. And the end guy sucked at well. Overall I would say it was just as good a "B" class shooter games but it wasn't the "A+" game that it was supposed to be. :(
I agree totally.

Badger_sly said:
You have proof of this info somewhere? With the huge popularity of Q3's multiplayer aspect, I find it very hard to believe that it would be single player only with Q4.

I never said it was multiplayer only, I just said the main fucus was on the single player campaign. PC Gamer had a 10 page preview a couple months back.

Techx said:
quake is tired.. unless q4 turns out to be a monster amazing game with supurb gameplay AND performance than I don't think I care anymore.. and I played q1 and q3 for years.. I can only shoot a RL or GL or RG or whatever so many times before it's just plain BORING..

So you didn't play Quake 2 & Expansions? That was the best one! Q3A was boring as hell for me.

Ya for the first little bit, while the graphics were blowing my mind, It was good and alright ... but yeah it got boring real quick .... not enough variety of enemies I thought.

I remember there being bursts of cool .... like the first time I saw that dog thing, and the hell knight, should have been more scripted sequences.

TheGamerZ said:
So you didn't play Quake 2 & Expansions? That was the best one? Q3A was boring as hell for me.

I thought Quake 2 was easily the best too. Although the original quake was damn fun multiplayer ... back when I was in highschool with my comp in my room and my internet comming through my phone line, I used to stay up all hours playing. I think it was my first real frag fest.

Back