Rampage V Extreme CPU fan header and D5 pump.

Johnyblaze

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

I have the Rampage V Extreme and two EK D5 PWM pumps. The issue I have is that when I plug either D5 pump into the CPU or CPU OPT fan header, the pump does not spin, it goes down to 0%. When I plug the pump into a chassis fan header, the pump runs at it should and goes to 100% (~4,700 RPM).

This behavior occurs with either of the D5 pumps so I assume they're not at fault. I would like to use the CPU headers as it will be a bit of a failsafe should a pump die, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong and why they don't spin at all when I connect them to either CPU fan header. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not one hundred percent sure about that specific model, but... You should be able to use speedfan to configure a custom fan curve based off of the chassis header. If it isn't PWM you just have to hope that the fan header / motherboard has the ability to regulate voltage.

The issue is likely due to the temps and the default curve not being sufficient to power the pump. You will need to disable Q-Fan control in UEFI, or set a manual fan curve. Both things are available for you to set/tune.

Thanks guys. I'll try to disable Q-Fan on those headers and will report back. Also, the pump gets power from a molex plug and only gives the motherboard RPM signal via the fan header.

Is the pump three or four pin? If it is powered by molex you could just feed it 5v and it should run nice and quiet all the time.

PWM was too low by default. I turned it up and it works great now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Back