Rampage III Gene memory slot issues?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I picked up a "supposedly" broken RIII Gene with an i7-920 and 7GB of RAM for super cheap.

It has 2x2GB and 3x1GB sticks on it, and originally when I booted it up it only showed RAM in the red slots (B slots). It would not POST with RAM in the A slots.

I spent a little time, fiddled with updating the BIOS which was about 5 versions out of date and then kept putting the RAM in with different configurations and randomly it just started to work.

I now have 14GB (I put two 4GB sticks in and took a 1GB out) running memtest, whats the chances it will keep working? Any ideas what might have caused this issue? I looked at the traces all around with a flashlight and checked the pins, there seems to be no damage. Seems fairly common for X58 boards to have failed memory slots but this is the first one I've seen that came back to life.

My Gene II has always been picky with ram, to the point of being unable to run any 4gb sticks unless only one is used. That said using mismatched ram is probably not the best idea, I would consider trying the 2 4gb in dual channel and if that works maybe pick up a third for triple channel. For my board though I can only use 2gb sticks, especially while overclocking.

Yeah I don't intend to run mismatched sticks for actual use I just wanted to stress the IMC so I loaded up all of the slots with what I had. Its all running at 1066 right now. I was just surprised it started working because according to the guy I got it from it hasn't had the A slots working for 3-4 years. I picked up the whole lot for $40 so I figured if it was really dead it would make a nice decoration.

Damn congrats! Now you need to get a 6 core xeon for it!

You say that as if I didn't already order an X5670. Currently installing Windows 7 on it in its current config, I want to test the stability a little more. It managed 6 hours of Memtest with all 6 slots filled and no errors.

Back