Rampage III extreme -dual 8 pin ATX 12V ?

HighYield

Gawd
Usually I am on top of these things before I get the board, but I have a Rampage III mobo and was wondering what to do with the 2 8-pin ATX 12v power plugs. Do you need to have them both plugged in to power up the board? I would think that one would be plenty. I have never seen this before. My power requirements I would imagine would be pretty light with just a i7-930 and a single video card.

I plugged in the molex at the bottom for PCIE stability and was able to overclock my Sapphire VaporX-Toxic from gpu 1000 to gpu 1050 and mem from 1100 to 1200 without any BSOD so I think that one adds stability. I use xfire mode on 2 of these. 4 video cards might require both molex connectors or one molex and both 8 pin but I have seen some info where you can plug in the 8 pin and in the other a 4 pin - notice the caps included on the 8 pin so it only shows 4?

I was on a Rampage II Extreme with I7-975 at 1.45v CPU at 4.48ghz before around 38c Idle and now am on the Rampage III Extreme with I7-980X with 1.34 CPU @ 4.48ghz and way lower temps (CPU at 25c Idle) all round and increase PCIE clock to 110

I plugged both 8 pins in because I didn't have anything else to do with the other cable :p

I plugged in the 24 pin, the two 8 pin and one molex "EZ-Plug" connector simply because I could and figured I had the connectors available, so might as well.

The bottom molex "EZ-Plug" I cannot plug in due to the motherboard tray bracket blocking half the opening. As I don't plan a 3 or 4 way SLI/X-Fire setup any time soon, I'm not too worried atm. I'm looking at upgrading my two 8800 GTX's though to something better very soon (prolly 5870).

And just so people know, the case with the tray/bracket issue is the TJ09 from Silverstone.

Problem.jpg

I just plugged in the 24 pin, one 8 pin, and one 4 pin "ez connect". It works fine with just the 24 and one 8 pin though.

I just plugged in the 24 pin and one 8 pin connector and it is working fine. I just have a single GTX260 so the electrical requirements weren't too much. I'm running an [email protected] 24/7 at 100% load and it is doing pretty well folding bigadv work units. As soon as I can get some better cooling I'll push it a little more. This poor rampage III extreme didn't know the horrible life of torture it would face in my possession.

does it matter which 8 pin connector head you use? I chose the one that's closest to the top case fan.. but my R3E is not loading.. I don't see any power or any light indicators that I have power at all.. I wonder if my board has problems? I just received it yesterday from newegg and my previous asus MB was working. Does anyone know what the problem could be I just bought a new MB, PS, and new RAM chips even when I push the power button nothing loads and also if I manually push start on the MB nothing loads.. If the MB was working would I still be getting some light indications on the board?

Back