Rambus Ram, confused, help if you can...

dmaster79

Weaksauce
Okay, I've run across a Gateway that a friend has laying around, but wants to upgrade so they can put windows xp on it. It has a P 4 chip with only 128mb of Rambus Ram, go figure. I understand it is insanely expensive, and must be installed in pairs. My question is when you go to a site that sells it or lists it as 128mb stick, just 1 stick for say $100 bucks and well you need to buy 2 of these which makes it $200 bucks now since it has to be in pairs, do you now have 256mbs or are each of these only 64mbs which make them 128mb. Not to sound stupid, but I know virtually nothing about this Rambus Ram, just that it exists. Also how do those Crimms things work, or I think that it what I've seen them called, where you install just a blank so you can use just 1 stick. Do they work in every situation, cause any problems..etc...any help you can give on this subject would be greatly helpful...Thanks

Rambus memory must be ran in pairs, just like the older simms of yesteryear. They specs must match and if there are 4 ram slots on the board and you are only using 2 you must purchase crimms (continuity rimms) to fill the blank slots. The best price I have found on Rambus memory is on ebay. If you purchase 2 128Mb sticks you will have a total of 256MB available.

Novensu

Novensu is right. I had been using RDRAM (4x128MB Samsung PC800) with a couple of different i840 & i850 mobo's going back to 2000(Supermicro PIIIDRE, Abit TH7-II).

Capacities are similar to what you see with DDR (64,128,256,512) and are used in a dual channel configuration. the only difference being that you do need to populate any open slots with the CRIMM's (usually supplied with the mobo).

Also, you supposedly cannot mix capacities or it won't boot (I've not experienced this, but that's what I've read).

Sorry to crap on the thread, but I didnt think anyone would still be using RAMbus. Is there a specific reason you stick with this kind of memory, or do you just not have enough $$$ to upgrade.

ShaolinDragon said:
Sorry to crap on the thread, but I didnt think anyone would still be using RAMbus. Is there a specific reason you stick with this kind of memory, or do you just not have enough $$$ to upgrade.

because we were dumb to invest in the initial launch, and are pissed that it flopped.

the machines we still have work for our purposes currently, and we wont be upgrading beyond them yet.

(running 4x256 pc1066 Rambus)

Thanks for all the good info. So tell me if anyone can, what do you think I would expect to pay for 2 sticks of 128mb? In my case it is not my computer so it is up to the owner on rebuilding it. If it were mine I probably would since I love to have lots of ram. In their case its not an option, but with only 128mb about the only option Operating system wise is what came with the computer, Crappy Windows Me...which I would rather burn. If anyone knows some good cheap sites besides ebay to get this ram that would also be helpful...thanks again!!!

If you are willing to buy off of Ebay, you can find a better deal, I saw an add for Tiger Direct that was advertising a single stick of 128 for around 130.00.

Novensu

Back