RAM works in one slot, not the other?

Hvatum

Gawd
I've got two sticks of Ballistix in a Asus M2N-SLI with X2 6000.

Both of the 1GB sticks work, but only when I put one in the first slot and the other in the second. If I reverse their positions then the board does not boot and I get a Video Card error beep code.

Otherwise the computer is totally stable and I utilize the full 2GB in both Linux and Windows. Should I RMA the RAM or is this just some weird problem?

In dual channel or single channel mode?

It is probably some weird problem compatibility-wise with the RAM and the mainboard. It can happen, depending on the board and RAM. Check the manual to see what slots they have to be in to get them recognised and running at the right speeds/timing.

But if they work fine when they work, I don't see a problem with the sticks :)

Did you test each stick by itself in each slot using memtest?

If I put the stick "B" in the first slot then it doesn't boot, regardless if there's a second stick or not.

If I just put stick "B" in the second slot then it boots fine and passes memtest86, even if there is no stick in the first slot.

Is this something I should worry about?

In dual channel or single channel mode?
Yeah, dual channel mode.

It is probably some weird problem compatibility-wise with the RAM and the mainboard. It can happen, depending on the board and RAM. Check the manual to see what slots they have to be in to get them recognised and running at the right speeds/timing.

But if they work fine when they work, I don't see a problem with the sticks :)

That's good to know :)

Guess I will just keep running it and only address it if some other problem pops up. My PSU is a Seasonic 600 if anyone is curious. This Ballistix seems to have odd problems for lots of people though. Not sure why that is... mine is running at 1.9V so it's not the voltage. Upping the voltage doesn't change the problem.

Back