RAM - which is best

masscrazy

Weaksauce
So i've been noticing the price of RAM is getting higher.

I plan to buy the AsRock Fatal1ty Gen3 z68 board. This will be in a few months time. But since RAM is cheap but increasing I though I'd get it while its relatively cheap.

I belive the board supports DDR3 - 2133(OC), however I've got a few I think should be ok, just need your guys opinions.

I wana get 16GB.

G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V - at £37.27 - x2
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz 9-9-9-24, 1.5V - at 73.25
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) - at £59.99 x2
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit - at £34.99 x2

Not too sure, im gona get it from ebuyer/overclockers/scan.

Read the reviews people give.

Very helpful thanks :rolleyes:

What I was after was opinion on the RAM. What should I go for, what is the best of the ones I've chosen. Maybe a reason for not going with Corsair or Gskill or Kingston?

I've had very good luck with the G.Skill Ripjaws series myself. Whatever you get I would at least make it 1600mhz or faster for a little more future proofing!

Reviews give opinions of the RAM...

Awesome advice :rolleyes:

And no they dont since RAM just works, usually people say works great! And also none of these have any reviews, except the g-skill and everyone says, works great.

Thats why i'd like some opinion and a discussion possibly.

It either works or it doesn't. And people reviewing also can chime in on the reliability. Other than that, it's all the same shit. The places you're looking aren't the only places selling such items. There are bigger places like Newegg where just about every product has reviews and ratings, which you can read, and then purchase the stuff from wherever else you want.

buy some samsung UDimms 30nm memory chips 2 x 4gb DDR3 they run at 1.35v

which you run that 1.5v you can clock them easily at 2133mhz 10-10-10-28
the 8 gb kits cost around $55 at microcenter or newegg

All I can say is, stay away from OCZ since they are no longer in the memory business.

Memory speed isn't really a bottleneck on current generation systems. If you aren't doing mission critical number crunching that has to be performed in a set amount of time, don't worry too much about the speed.

Also, I recommend G.Skill and Mushkin. Although, I've heard good things about Corsair.

The last few years I've been having really good luck with G.Skill, never gave me any problems on any builds I have performed for myself and friends, and I don't usually check QVL lists unless I am buying Asus.

I had a Mushkin stick arrive DOA just last month, FWIW.

Lots of people really like G.Skill. My last experience wasn't all that great with them quite honestly. I ordered 3 kits of 2133MHz RipjawsX (2x2GB each) for my x58 setup, they were advertised as "special for SB CPUs" or some crap, but I figured hey, memory is memory and even if I can't run it at 2133, I should AT LEAST be able to run it at 1600. Oh how wrong I was, that memory wouldn't even POST, no matter what settings I changed in the BIOS, @ 1333MHz. It would only run at 1066. The only consolation is that it would run @ 5-5-5-15 timings.

I eventually replaced those three kits with a set of Patriot Viper sector 7 3x4GB sticks. They worked flawlessly. Plugged em in, set BIOS to XMP profile 1, and wouldn't ya know it, they booted right up and ran perfectly. No errors or anything.
I read a review of the same sticks on TPU and found that they were able to get them to 2049MHz with little more than an FSB increase. Great sticks.

Then I ran some Patriot ViperFins on my original AM3 setup (sig rig) and I was able to run them easily @ 1600MHz 7-7-7-21-28-1T timings at advertised voltage with my CPU-NB OC'd to 2700MHz. I was fairly impressed that the memory and the controller could handle this considering the C2 stepping.

At any rate, you may want to check out this Patriot Xtreme division 4 16GB 1866MHz kit. It's a little over $100, but if it's anything like my last two kits from them, it'll be sure to please and easily run at advertised specs.

Good luck.

PS: Their customer support is awesome as well! Easy to deal with and very helpful.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i don't understand why you need to buy flashy over priced ram?

why not just buy some samsung u-dimms DDR3 ram with 30nm memory chips at 50% less cost. These sticks do 2133mhz 10-10-10 28 @ 1.5v ? it cost $55 for 2 x 4gb 8gb kit.

this ram is 100 times better than any of the ram dimms you have suggested !

G.Skill sniper series and ripjaws x semm's to be the exact same thing so , did somebody can tell me whats the difference

Bought and paid for the g.skill 1600mhz 99924 8GB x2 for £75. I looked yesterday it was 37.74 on ebuyer and it went up by £4 to £41. Luckily amazon uk still had it for 37.

Will use in a few months when I build my machine. Will either sell or keep depending on ram prices.

I don't think you should have any issues. I've been using G.Skill and Corsair RAM for years and I have never had any problems. Good RAM.

I don't think you should have any issues. I've been using G.Skill and Corsair RAM for years and I have never had any problems. Good RAM.

Indeed. Saying that my corsair xms2 packed up few weeks ago. Im sure i have some warranty on it. How does one go about getting them fixed by corsair?

Indeed. Saying that my corsair xms2 packed up few weeks ago. Im sure i have some warranty on it. How does one go about getting them fixed by corsair?

I just RMA'ed some DDR1 with Corsair, it was pretty easy. I was able to do it all through their web site without needing to call anyone. There is form somewhere on their site to start the RMA process, should be easy to find.

I just RMA'ed some DDR1 with Corsair, it was pretty easy. I was able to do it all through their web site without needing to call anyone. There is form somewhere on their site to start the RMA process, should be easy to find.

Awesome, I have two kits. One i bought brand new the other I bought second hand. I dont know which stick(s) are having issues and really dont want to open my machine and test.

Is it possible to RMA both?

Considering the prices,I would go with the g skill memory.I personally would consider some cas 8 1600 myself.

Awesome, I have two kits. One i bought brand new the other I bought second hand. I dont know which stick(s) are having issues and really dont want to open my machine and test.

Is it possible to RMA both?

I'm not sure, they didn't ask for proof of purchase. They did ask for serial numbers and the date of purchase however.

Back