Ram to pair with C2D - E6600

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm either going 2 or 3 gig dual channel, so 2x 1GB alone or with 2x 512 MB as well.

I'm not up to what exactly is what as far as the ratings go, and I won't be doing anything close to aggressive overclocking.

What rating and timings should I be looking for in ram so it isn't insanely priced but also isn't the bargain value bin modules. Again, minor O/C would headroom would be nice, but in the end I'm really not interested in turning my cpu into something 3 tiers higher with a large O/C.

Thanks for any help.

Since you said you wont be doing insane ocing. I really wouldnt look any further than one of these kits.

Gskill 2gb 4-4-4-12 $129

Gskill 2gb 5-5-5-15 $109 (err now $129) free ship Unfortunately, these were $109 the past week, now back to $129

Corsair 2gb 6400C4 4-4-4-12
$129AR free ship

OCZ 2gb 6400 rev2 4-4-4-15 $112AR! free ship

All 4 kits are PC2-6400 800mhz mem, which still allows at least a 3ghz overclock or so. Im not sure which would be the best. If it were me, id go with the gskill or ocz. That ocz is a bargain at $112AR.

So look for PC-6400 with 4-4-4 timings is pretty much the answer I take it?

So that's basically a quad pumped 200mhz FSB ram, but doesn't the E6600 run at 266mhz FSB?

I long for the days when this stuff was easy to figure out :confused:

Ouch! Us Canucks get ripped on the prices.. Those corsair modules you linked are listed at $280 up here ><

lol really? Didnt know you were in canada. You are prolly not valid for any of those rebates then. You poor Canadians. Go for some memory that is cheap, who also ships to Canada. :p

And no, you dont have to get 6400 mem. You can go for the lower stuff if you know for sure you are not ocing at all. Pc2-6400 mem is so cheap lately, it seems pointless to me to even bother with anything lower. At least at 800mhz if the memory was unable to go any higher, you could still achieve around 3.0-3.2ghz cpu OC if you wanted to down the line.

At least at 800mhz if the memory was unable to go any higher, you could still achieve around 3.0-3.2ghz cpu OC if you wanted to down the line.

PC2-6400 RAM will give you the head room to allow you to overclock your E6600 to at least 3.6Ghz. I'd get a set of G.Skill HK 2x 1GB; that should suit your needs fine.

Canadian Deals going on at the moment:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....R22GK&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1061
2GB OCZ PC6400 Platinum Rev 2 149$Can after Mail in rebate

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21778&vpn=PDC22G6400LLK&manufacture=Patriot&promoid=1061
2GB Patriot PC 6400 Extreme Performance 179$Can After Mail in rebate

New specials each Tuesday. You missed the Buffalo Firestix sale this week for 129$ Canadian eh. They sell them 189 I think atm those are good too.

I was searching on newegg and I saw the numbers "6400" and "4-4-3-5" all on one product. I freaked...until...the page loaded... :( .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

Wait a minute. I'm clueless here. Why are people getting timing of 4-4-3-5 on pc6400? I thought it should be like 4-4-4-12 minimum or something. Anyone? Memory is so confusing these days. :rolleyes:

4-4-4-12 isn't a minimum, certainly if one considers overclocking; people have a lot of luck with those G.Skills and they're meant to do around 500Mhz in low voltages (about 2.2v)- don't quote me on this, thought, it's just what i think i remember reading some place.

4-4-4-12 isn't a minimum, certainly if one considers overclocking; people have a lot of luck with those G.Skills and they're meant to do around 500Mhz in low voltages (about 2.2v)- don't quote me on this, thought, it's just what i think i remember reading some place.

I was just thinking going from 12 to 5 is extremely huge. I'm comparing it to cas.

im in the same boat but do i HAVE to get ddr2 w/ the e6600? i have a chance to get that cpu but i would like to use my ddr sticks still. is that possible? if it is, is there a big proformance loss i will have using ddr instead of ddr2?

im in the same boat but do i HAVE to get ddr2 w/ the e6600? i have a chance to get that cpu but i would like to use my ddr sticks still. is that possible? if it is, is there a big proformance loss i will have using ddr instead of ddr2?

It is possible, but i think there's only 1 motherboard which will let you do it (or something stupid like that). Seriously, though, with the price of DDR2 RAM now there isn't really any reason not to get any.

Back