RAM Seems to Cause Boot Issues with DOCP Mode

GameLifter

Gawd
I finished up my new build the other day and after playing around with it I ran into an issue where the computer sometimes wouldn't boot up all the way after a shutdown. The computer would power on, fans would spin, CPU cooler and RGB lights on the RAM would light up, but all I would get was a black screen, no BIOS startup screen. After lots of troubleshooting, I think I narrowed it down to the RAM when run at it's DOCP/XMP speeds. So far I haven't run into any issues when the RAM is set to it's stock speed. My specs are below:

ASUS Prime X570-P
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 GB GKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 16-16-16-36 1.35v (unstable at these settings)
MSI Ventus 2080Ti OC Edition
Corsair RM850X
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

I tried manually setting the DOCP speeds in the BIOS and got the same results. Should I try to RMA the RAM or is this more of an issue with my motherboard? Is this a common occurrence where RAM isn't always stable at its factory OC settings?

Will the RAM run at 3200mhz if you set it manually? Also if you try that make sure your inifnity fabric is half your RAM speed. Though in my experience that doesnt have an effect on wether or not it boots if they arent 1:1.

Will the RAM run at 3200mhz if you set it manually? Also if you try that make sure your inifnity fabric is half your RAM speed. Though in my experience that doesnt have an effect on wether or not it boots if they arent 1:1.

I haven't tried running it at 3200Mhz but I ran the DRAM calculator and it came up with 3200MHz with a cas latency of 14.

try setting the ram to 1.4v

Tried it and a slight CPU overclock but got the same results. Would the AMD Chipset Drivers help any?

Just set it to 3200MHZ with 16-16-16-36 timings and so far it's been booting fine. Looks like the advertised speed of 3600 with tighter timings causes the booting issue.

Try 16-18-18-36 and see if it makes a difference. 16-16-16 is pretty aggressive.

Try 16-18-18-36 and see if it makes a difference. 16-16-16 is pretty aggressive.

I'll try that later. The thing is that this RAM is advertised as being able to do 3600 at 16-16-16-36 which is what is in its DOCP profile. Shouldn't it be able to hit this just fine since it's rated it at these speeds and timings or is it common for RAM to not be able to always run stable at it's DOCP settings?

I'll try that later. The thing is that this RAM is advertised as being able to do 3600 at 16-16-16-36 which is what is in its DOCP profile. Shouldn't it be able to hit this just fine since it's rated it at these speeds and timings or is it common for RAM to not be able to always run stable at it's DOCP settings?
sometimes the board is picky.

Take off the CPU oc no need for that. However, this worked for me when I was dialing in ram speed on my 3800x. Under AMD overclocking enable SOC/UNCORE OC MODE. Try this with your xmp settings or manually setting the main timings.

Last edited:
Alright, I think I found the solution. I did some more Googling on my specific motherboard brand and RAM OC issues and came across this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?116381-TUF-X570-Gaming-unstable-using-DOCP-profile/page2

The solution on the last page to change VDDCR SOC Voltage to offset mode, + seems to have worked. I've shut down and rebooted four times and each time was successful when before about 3 out of 4 times it wouldn't boot with the DOCP settings.

What a pain in the ass troubleshooting this has been. I greatly appreciate everyone's help and hopefully I won't have any more issues with this build going forward.

Alright, I think I found the solution. I did some more Googling on my specific motherboard brand and RAM OC issues and came across this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?116381-TUF-X570-Gaming-unstable-using-DOCP-profile/page2

The solution on the last page to change VDDCR SOC Voltage to offset mode, + seems to have worked. I've shut down and rebooted four times and each time was successful when before about 3 out of 4 times it wouldn't boot with the DOCP settings.

What a pain in the ass troubleshooting this has been. I greatly appreciate everyone's help and hopefully I won't have any more issues with this build going forward.

ASUS resently released a BIOS update for most thier branch of X570 motherboards. It fixed my issue, which is somewhat the same as yours, everything above 3200MHz on my memory was a no boot. After BIOS update, it's working like a charm. I'm on a Strix X570-f mobo with 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO. Running them in D.O.C.P. now.

ASUS resently released a BIOS update for most thier branch of X570 motherboards. It fixed my issue, which is somewhat the same as yours, everything above 3200MHz on my memory was a no boot. After BIOS update, it's working like a charm. I'm on a Strix X570-f mobo with 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO. Running them in D.O.C.P. now.

I noticed that they basically released two different bios revisions back to back. Glad they fixed the issue they created quickly. I guess I'll flash the newest one on my X570-Pro when I get a chance.

Nice! I saw the other thread on here about the new BIOS update but haven't yet tried it. I should, but I'm worried it might makes things worse. Maybe I'll get braver and try it later.

Back