RAM problem or ?

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey, got a Asus Rampage 2 Extreme, i7 950 and 2 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1.5v 1333 2x4GB kit and the problem is that, no matter what combination or amount of sticks used on the mobo, the mobo will not post, but I do remember it working fine when I used my friends 3x4GB HyperX 1600 1.65v sticks on this mobo. Have reset the bios, and cold-booted, all the fancy lights on the mobo light on except the DRAM lights and that it boots up for 5 seconds before turning off and then booting up again with fans on full blast, graphics card as well, could it be that the G.Skill Ripjaw ram is faulty (which is a high percentage), or the Rampage 2 Extreme boards are very picky with certain memory and combinations of sticks used or maybe the board is somehow dead?

Honestly I'm out of options but would like this one to get working soon.

Thanks

My cousin had trouble with g.skill memmory.

Start with 1 stick find one that boots. Set timing manualy and voltage. Try at a lower frequency if all else fails.

Last edited:
My cousin had trouble with g.skill memmory.

No matter what brand of ram you purchase you can have problems. Same with harddrives. This comes from experience at work for the last 15 years.

Nope didn't work. :( The DRAM led's don't light up during boot up, graphics fan is on full blast and thats about it.

I'm thinking its definitely RAM related because the mobo is trying to initialize the RAM during bootup but failing to do so which is why it boots up for 5 seconds then shuts down then boots up again not to mention the DRAM led don't light up possibly indicating something wrong with the RAM.

According to your manual, slots 2 and 4 are the correct one for 2 sticks of ram. I did want to mention that your ram is not on the QVL for your MB. That said, the memory should work anyways.

According to your manual, slots 2 and 4 are the correct one for 2 sticks of ram. I did want to mention that your ram is not on the QVL for your MB. That said, the memory should work anyways.

Yep tried that combination already and others as well, still doesn't work. Although my RAM is not on the QVL for this mobo, the one that is qualified is the 6GB kit and mine should work.

Mobo is dead, CPU doesn't even heat up.....anyone have a cheap x58 mobo for sale?

EDIT: Forgot about the 3 year warranty, just registered but don't have my invoice or original box anymore, hopefully I can still go to my local center this week and get it fixed. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Back