RAM pricing looking good right now?

Been like that since November?

Bought two individual crucial 8gb ddr3 for less than $25 each via Jet deals back then, using them as dual channel 16gb just fine.

2 issues at play here:

A) Supply & Demand
B) Production/available qtys in the sales channels

Many users are increasing the amount of DDR3 they have in their older generation of machines instead of upgrading to a Skylake/DDR4 systems. This is good as it raises demand, which causes mfgr's to dump more into the channel, which lowers the cost per unit shipped for wholesalers and ultimately end users.

This is also good because it will speed up the transition to DDR4, meaing the mfgr's will begin making more sticks, which will again cause them to dump more into the channel, and therefore lower the c.p.u.s..and cause end-user prices to fall also.

The only bad part of this is that it will also cause the mfgr's to eventually slow down and then halt the production of DDR3, which will lower supply, raise demand and therefore prices for everyone who procrastined on buying more while the prices were falling....

in other words....Economics 101 and capitalism at their finest... :D :cool: :p

yeah if your around long enough you remember this happening from SDRAM to DDR, DDR to DDR2 and then again with DDR3...

Just have to buy loads of it at the right time :)

yeah if your around long enough you remember this happening from SDRAM to DDR, DDR to DDR2 and then again with DDR3...

DDR3 is finally a/near the historical lows of 2012 which is nice. Laptop RAM was $55 per 2x16GB. I saw it hit $60 a month or two ago. Desktop was ~$65-70 per 2x8GB in 2012 and it has hit that again so we are lucking out that both DDR3 and DDR4 are both reasonably priced. DDR4 will continue to drop through this year.

I am thinking about grabbing a 32GB kit for my current system, but that would mean I have to unload the current 16GB kit I have since it is 4x4GB..I think I might just toss the 16GB kit into its blister pack and sit on it for a few years instead of selling it now for ~$35 I would be offered in the FS/FT forum..

yeah maybe a trade for some other gear you need? I am sitting on 2 32gb DDR3 kits that would sell for $100 now and I bought them at more than double :eek:

Yep. been there done that, during the PC100 to 133 to DDR1 transition, and each cycle after that :)

I remember paying about $45 each for 16x 512mb sticks of PC133, and getting $125 for each them a few years later when I moved to a brand new machine and production had almost entirely stopped.

Yep. been there done that, during the PC100 to 133 to DDR1 transition, and each cycle after that :)

I remember paying about $45 each for 16x 512mb sticks of PC133, and getting $125 for each them a few years later when I moved to a brand new machine and production had almost entirely stopped.
thats why i always buy the largest and best DIMMs they have the best resale value

Can you summarize what kind of user would see real benefit from upgrading from 8GB to 16GB?
Is this just for heavy gamers or video editors, etc?

Can you summarize what kind of user would see real benefit from upgrading from 8GB to 16GB?
Is this just for heavy gamers or video editors, etc?

I'd say it's not really even a "what kind of user?" question as much as "are you running low on RAM?" question. Pull your system monitor and look at the graph. Are you maxed out? Then more RAM is good times!

However, yea, editing photos and/or video, application development, and a desire to run virtual machines are all contributing factors to the need for more RAM. I don't think there are many games out there that will be problematic on a machine with 8GB of RAM.

I'd say it's not really even a "what kind of user?" question as much as "are you running low on RAM?" question. Pull your system monitor and look at the graph. Are you maxed out? Then more RAM is good times!

However, yea, editing photos and/or video, application development, and a desire to run virtual machines are all contributing factors to the need for more RAM. I don't think there are many games out there that will be problematic on a machine with 8GB of RAM.
Also if you are an Opera/Chrome tab/window/session saving (Opera 12 feature) whore....guilty as charged :D

If you do a lot of things and leave things open so you don't have to reopen them you can use a lot of RAM. 16GB is the go to for most people today. 8GB can have issues with todays stuff even if you don't go crazy with anything.

32GB is future proofing and gettign 2x16GB allows for expansion and I know when I buy used PCs i refuse to by any with small cap sticks because i will have to throw those out and get new RAM. If you sell your PC later no one wants to buy 4x2 or 4x4GB used PCs. Buying a rig with useless RAM means its no longer a good deal.

Upgrading to a i7-6700k, $94 for 16GB (2x8) DD4 PC4 25600 G.Skill

So Yeah.... The good stuff is still expensive...

Lookin pretty good I'd say, 8GB of DDR4 3200 for 50 bucks at newegg. Back in my day 512MB of DDR1 cost damn near 150 bucks!

2 issues at play here:

A) Supply & Demand
B) Production/available qtys in the sales channels

Many users are increasing the amount of DDR3 they have in their older generation of machines instead of upgrading to a Skylake/DDR4 systems. This is good as it raises demand, which causes mfgr's to dump more into the channel, which lowers the cost per unit shipped for wholesalers and ultimately end users.

This is also good because it will speed up the transition to DDR4, meaing the mfgr's will begin making more sticks, which will again cause them to dump more into the channel, and therefore lower the c.p.u.s..and cause end-user prices to fall also.

The only bad part of this is that it will also cause the mfgr's to eventually slow down and then halt the production of DDR3, which will lower supply, raise demand and therefore prices for everyone who procrastined on buying more while the prices were falling....

in other words....Economics 101 and capitalism at their finest... :D :cool: :p

Transitions from one memory tech to another don't happen as quickly as they used to. I am old enough to remember the 30-pin SIMM to 72-pin SIMM transition, and then to DIMMs, DDR and DDR2. All of those transitions happened quickly, with little overlap. New motherboards and processors quickly changed to the newer standards, and people buying the older memory were limited to those who were upgrading older systems.

That is not the case anymore. Really, this started to change with the DDR2 to DDR3 transition. When it first came out, DDR3 was very much an optional item that was adopted only by enthusiasts and in high performance scenarios. We're seeing the same thing again with DDR4, which has been available to the public well over a year and yet I can walk into Microcenter tomorrow and buy either an Intel or AMD based motherboard for an in-production processor that uses DDR3. There are various reasons why this is the case now, but the bottom line is that the old market mechanics for memory no longer apply. I expect both DDR3 and DDR4 to remain cheap and plentiful for quite a while.

There was also a smaller gap between introductions of the new gen. SDR to DDR, DDR to DDR2, DDR2 to DDR3, the time between any of those was what? A bit less than four years? But DDR3 to DDR4, the former was available 2007, the latter just 2014.

There was also a smaller gap between introductions of the new gen. SDR to DDR, DDR to DDR2, DDR2 to DDR3, the time between any of those was what? A bit less than four years? But DDR3 to DDR4, the former was available 2007, the latter just 2014.
SDR was around for a very very long time IIRC.

Back