RAM price gone up?

When I got my first Vengeance DIMM back in December 2012 the price was just under 40 dollars, 39 dollars. Now I want to add another and the price for the same DIMM is some 55 Dollars, and that's for ONE STICK, for a 2x4 kit the price is well over 60 dollars, a Ballistix/Vengeance I found was 66 dollars for 2x4 kit.

what is going on???

Are you trying to upgrade your system w/ more Vengeance sticks? I haven't noticed much of a price difference in the 2x4GB range. Price at Amazon is exactly what I paid last year for a pair I'm no longer using ($62).

Last edited:
Yup, 8GB kits (2x 4GB) of DDR3 hit as low as $25 during the Christmas 2012 sales. I just knew that was going to be a historic low point, so I grabbed some. Not regretting it! Finally some payback for buying some DDR2 when it was at its most expensive; I think I paid over $200 for a pair of 2GB sticks.

Ram prices just keep climbing. I've been eyeing some ddr3 1866 ripjaws 4x8GB sets for some time and they have climbed from about 230 to 310 in the past 2 months.

Now I wish I didn't return a 16GB (2x8GB) kit I bought. I didn't feel the need for it.

I bought a 16gb kit of gskill Ares 1333 ram 2x8gb for $60 back in September same kit is $110 lol, crazy.

One of the biggest manufacturers of DRAM in Japan recently went bankrupt, this is the sole cause.

I bought 2 sets of 64gb of corsair dominator platnuim before the price jump when it was at a all time low.

There was warnings it was coming.

Don't feel too bad, I paid over $350 for two 1GB sticks of OCZ Titanium DDR1 back in 2005, around the time when DDR2 was just emerging.

Don't feel too bad, I paid over $350 for two 1GB sticks of OCZ Titanium DDR1 back in 2005, around the time when DDR2 was just emerging.

Heh, yeah I was pretty close to that. I got 2x1GB of DDR1 for about $280 in early 2006 and thought it was a steal at such a cheap price.

Bought 2x4GB of DDR3 (1333) in late 2011 for $30 at Microcenter. It's more expensive now, but still a whole lot cheaper than it was in the olden days.

Yeah, sorry. My bad. I started saving to build a new PC.. I have super bad luck, and prices usually spike on parts when I'm trying to buy. :eek: :p

What's the reason for them going up over summer?

I try to always buy my RAM on black friday. So friggin cheap.

I paid $640 of 1995 dollars for 4 * 4 MB (16 MB total)....

At 3% annual inflation that is $1156 today...

Ram pricing went up because the supply of them are lower than how it was about 8 months ago. We had a huge surplus of DDR3 hence the pricing was lower. Now the manufacturers have cut back on the production so the supply of DDR3 is less.

They are preparing and testing out DDR4 for computing in the next year so DDR3 will become similar to DDR2 within the next 2 years.

I went over to Newegg to get some DDR2 and nearly fell out of my chair.I paid 25.99 for 2 1GB sticks of Crucial PC2-6400 6mos ago and now the price is practically double.

I feel everyone's pain as well. Not as bad as others. Picked-up a new Asus (K55N) laptop for my wife. Wanted to pop-in 8GB (4GBx2 A-DATA) & I paid $37.99 for it 9 months ago. Now it's $67.99! I bought it because I was afraid it might go up in price again.

Sucks! But...$30.00 in my world is nothing in the big scheme of things. It is what it is.

bought a pair of 8GB ballistix sticks for $90 back in november, now I cannot find the same kit for under $140 :/

I have 8gb of DDR3 in the kids comps(3), 32gbs of Samsung ddr3, and another 16gb of some other ddr3. I bought more then I needed so I could have extra. ;)
I have 32gb of ddr3 just sitting there waiting for a system!

I bought 2 sets of 64gb of corsair dominator platnuim before the price jump when it was at a all time low.

There was warnings it was coming.

I loaded up on 8gb sticks when prices bottomed out. Glad I did.

I paid $30 for 8gb of Samsung wonder ram back before the prices jumped up. Now they don't even sell this memory in the US anymore, so the price is even higher. I lucked out

Yeah, sorry. My bad. I started saving to build a new PC.. I have super bad luck, and prices usually spike on parts when I'm trying to buy. :eek: :p

samething for me...
I've been holding back for a complete upgrade, hoping the price will decrease..and how wrong that turns out to be :(

I can't believe how the prices have gone up for mem lately..

I bought my 32gb of Crucial Ballistix a month and a half ago for $200, now they $300.. eww.

November 2012:

on6.png

June 2013:

ncwn.png

Ha Ha Ha @ invoices!

Ram is what's holding me back from building my new system. I was ready to commit and start buying the parts then I remembered DDR4. I jumped the gun on the Phenom ii 940 and got stuck with that ddr2 system. Not happening again. On the bright side, ddr2 will probably hit some lower prices then as well and will be able to upgrade that sucker. ...just because...

I was ready to commit and start buying the parts then I remembered DDR4.

DDR4 is still a long way out. I am expecting Q2 2015 at the earliest on the mainstream platforms (non lga2011) with the Intel Skylake platform. AMD probably needs DDR4 more than Intel however it will most likely come at a premium and also the FM2+ platform is not even out yet any that will not support DDR4 so to me this means at least 2 years before AMD will be using DDR4 in its APUs.

I am feeling lucky right now. I put together my system in my sig in October 2012. The 16gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM cost me $70 at the time. I just looked on newegg, where I bought it, the same kit today costs $165! Wow.

yes the pricing is crazy now. The production of them has slowed and there are only 3 major companies making them now. Samsung being 1 of the top three is making ram for smart phones due to the higher demand.

On the other hand, I'm able to get a an i5 for just over $200, a quality asus board for under $150, and a 770 gtx for $400 (which outperforms a 680). $750 for the big stuff, gives me a lot of wiggle room for other components.

It does suck that just a few months has seen a 100% jump in RAM prices.

Back