RAM just went down... good replacement for Corsair?

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
So, I just survived worse scare with machine I ever had. Was browsing the [H] review of 660TI, when suddenly machine froze with blackscreen. When I reboot, it went past loading the windows logo, and then went black. Cleared CMOS, resotred all defaults in BIOs, nothing happened. Launched the rescue mode, it loaded... restored windows to some earlier point. Still didn't help. Launched rescue mode once again, got new chipset drivers, new BIOS and nvidia drivers.

Still freezing, so I narrowed itdown to hardware. Removed GFX card, and launched from onboard solution - didn't help. Removed one of the RAM, and boot the machine with only one piece. Then a smoke and stink of melting plastic started. Immediately switched off, and removed the RAM. Tried the 2nd piece of RAM, and computer booted without problem.

I'm getting RMA on that kit, but even if it's replaced, I'm selling it, and getting some other memory. What would be good replacement for lov-voltage 2x4GB 1600mhz Corsair RAM? Was thinking of Kingston Greys CL9 1600mhz, or G.SKill Ripjaws - would be mild oC, maybe to 1800mhz, no more.

Last edited:
On top of Corsair, I recommend GSkill, Crucial or Kingston. These would all have what you are looking for. There also is the popular 1.35V 30nm Samsungs.

Do you think the problem may have been caused by the board, instead of the memory? I'd imagine the burnt stick is shot regardless, but it may be worth testing the slots too.

I have always had Kingston ram. Recently switched to GSkill Ripjaws and am quite happy with them. I also like Corsair stuff.

The usual: When in doubt, get Samsung or no-heatsink Crucial.

If you can't easily identify the true maker of the chips on the module and prove that those chips aren't overclocked (G.Skill and about everybody else overclocks), avoid the module.

Do you think the problem may have been caused by the board, instead of the memory? I'd imagine the burnt stick is shot regardless, but it may be worth testing the slots too.

If there aren't any black burnt marks on the sticks then I really doubt it to be the rams.

Gskill! I've had trouble with Corsair too. I've had NO problems with Gskill!

I HAD been buying Mushkin exclusively for myself, and buying G.Skill exclusively for people I build other computers for.

Mushkin always has the best binned parts, however, of the 10 or so kits I've purchased from them... _ALL_ but _TWO_ of the kits either came with a bad stick or had a stick go bad in a short period of time. I'm at the point where I'm dealing with these 999057 kits and quite literally 6/6 of the original sticks they sent me died within a month, and 4/6 replacements they sent went bad within two weeks. Totally unacceptable.

As a contrast, out of the 50 or so kits I've purchased from G.Skill, I have not once received a bad stick of ram from them or had one go bad at any time.

On that note, I'm going to be buying G.Skill for myself from now on, regardless of the fact that they don't make parts in the same league as Mushkin Redline.

Got the new set of g.skill ripjaws clocked to 1600mhz - they work flawlessly in the same slots in which Corsairs were. Though I had some trouble to start them up, had to reset the BIOS, as board was using voltage/XML profile from corsair set and was undervolting new memory.

Haven't overclockers them yet, as I'm now on business trip in Berlin, but I think I'll just keep them on original settings.

As far as Corsairs are concerned, I tested them on another board and it seems that one stick is working, the other is not.

Back