RAM + Heat = BSOD?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
I keep getting BSODs with "page_fault_in_non_paged_area" message. Here is my original thread. :( When i run MemTest, 7 passes i get no errors. Can memory "malfunction" or "crap out" when its under stress and heat? Yes it is OCed to 499 MHz with 0.5v bump, 5-5-5-18.

I have a nice ventilated case V1000Z, but it is kinda cramped in there... but i do have a Delta fan in there AFB1212VHE which can push 129CFM at 3200RPM...

When i leave the main fan on 8v ~ 2220RPM i get the BSODs from time to time on demanding games like L4D and Crysis, but when i crank up the fan to 3000RPM system looks stable, no BSODs... CPU btw and the GPU are all in the safe limits (CPU around 41-46C and GPU around 65-70C)

I know the RAM gets hot in general but when its in extremes it fails? So by increasing the air flow in the system it helps the RAM? Can some one confirm? :confused:

Last edited:
Anything that gets hot can cause a problem if too hot, cause less heat or remove more heat .
No brainer really :)

Yes but it's tricky with the RAM, there are no sensors or temp thresholds for the RAM..... And how do i know if it's "too hot" or not? No brainer.... I think not, genius....

There are sticks with heat sinks and there are without...

does machine run stable at stock clocks?

run prime95(small fft) or occt to stress cpu, run furmark and/or rthdrimbl to stress gpu. See if either of those give you any issues.

have you already removed all hardware not necessary for boot of machine?

Yes but it's tricky with the RAM, there are no sensors or temp thresholds for the RAM..... And how do i know if it's "too hot" or not? No brainer.... I think not, genius....

There are sticks with heat sinks and there are without...

I suppose nothings a surprise for me any more.
But you dont need to be a genius to know that somethings too hot if a fan blowing on it helps prevent crashes.

Whether ram has heatsinks or not doesnt mean its immune to overheating problems.
As you are overclocking, when you get BSODs, one of the first things you should suspect is heat/overclock.

Have not tried Prime95 small fft, but IntelBurn, FurMark go without a hick up. Even tried both at the same time for an hour, rock solid.

The thing is the only new things that were introduced to the system was the same motherboard (PSU blew up fried my 1st one) new video card,and new case... well and PSU, buts it's not the PSU. It's either the ram is hotter in this case, something is wrong with video card which regular testers cant detect... or the new mobo is screwed up form the beginning... i got the mobo new though.

Same OC was on my old system, worked fine. Actualy if i think about it the BSODs started when i introduced the GTX 280...

Here is the story, its up to you if you want to read it or not... my Antec 500 SP2.0 blew up and took out the mobo, so i bought the same mobo, new from eBay also got a top PSU on the market made by Delta Electronics Inc, (Antec Signature) and well an upgrade, a GTX280 along with the new case. The last thing was the GTX, before that i had my old HD4850 in this new setup, and it worked flawlessly. Then when i got GTX280 i got a BSOD in Crysis... so i immediately thought that the video card is fubar... it's was new but sometimes new things are bad. Thing is no matter what test i throw at the video card it pasess. I even tried IntelBurn and furmark torture test, system is stable. But when it comes to gaming here and there i get the damn BSOD.

My best guess would be is... when i switched everything to the new case, things were fine, but when i got a GTX with extra C in to the case RAM craps out under the stress...

And yes under stock clocks system is stable. But it was stable before the new setup though... with those clocks, different case and video card though. It HAS to be the RAM.

And it appears to be when i crank up the system fan to 3000RPM works fine in games, so far... only played for 3 hours so far.

I'm still not sure :(

Did you try different drivers to see if that helped the Crysis crashes?
I found a few drivers that wouldnt let me run the Crysis Warhead timedemo, it would always crash before one run completed.

The fan profiles on recent NVidia graphics cards are also a bit miserly, they ramp the fan speed up far too slowly.
Maybe the card was getting too hot (being below the throttling temp can still be too hot).
Theres another thread on exactly this somewhere and RMA replacement cards have the same issue.
Try setting a higher fan speed manually as that may be all thats wrong.

Failing that, start from scratch, re-evaluate the best stable overclock.
You may not be able to run stable at the old speed, its up to you to test and find what is stable now.
Components that have been subject to extreme stress (like after a PSU death) can quite possibly not work as well as before.
Also using different supporting components (ie PSU/motherboard...) can give different results.

You are correct that there are other parts on a gfx card that can overheat which do not have sensors.
ie the video memory and voltage regulators.
If upping the video card fan speed sorts it, no worries.
If not, blow a fan permanently at your gfx card.
I have done this in many of my overclocked machines and my current machine has one 80mm fan blowing on my memory, chipset heatsinks and the back of my gfx card, just for good measure.
It was essential when clocking my X1800 card as the voltage regulators overheated without extra air blowing on them!

Sometimes its too late to fix heat related problems, especially when overclocking as the damage can already be done.
Heat related damage can make components produce even more heat for the same voltage/clock speed.
The fix is then to get better cooling or reduce the overclock, often the latter is the only solution.

Just out of curiosity, but did you complete clean off ATi driver before installing that 280? Sounds like driver problems. Maybe a clean window install?

Just out of curiosity, but did you complete clean off ATi driver before installing that 280? Sounds like driver problems. Maybe a clean window install?

lol yes. and it's not the driver problem as stated by the expert in BSOD (check my BSOD thread) and i have to agree with the guy.

Back