RAM for P8Z68 not on QVL OK?

MinPins

Limp Gawd
I finally saved up enough to replace my aging PC.

I'm going with:

• ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3 MOBO
  • i7 2600K
  • Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA III SSD for the
  • Win 7 Pro 64 bit OS
  • two 3TB HDDs (RAID1 storage) that I bought just before the prices skyrocketed
I plan to run 16GB of RAM (4 x 4GB) but can't find an exact match on the ASUS QVL list for this specific MOBO.

The RAM I am interested in is two of the G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (2 x 4GB, 8-8-8-24 kit). However it is not specifically mentioned on the QVL list.

The G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2 x 2GB, 8-8-8-21 kit) is on the QVL.

Can I assume that the four 4GB sticks will work with no issues on this MOBO?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

It should be fine. Makers cannot test everything that is out on the market and probably take a reasonable sample from the major manufacturers for testing. I have 2 sets of the g.skill 9D-8GBSR 4gb RAM sticks on my Gigabyte Z68 with no problems. The exact type was not seen on the RAM list but similar ones were so I had no problems buying them.

Thanks.

I've been doing a bit more reading and from what I can tell CL9 1.5V non-ECC seems to be recommended for Sandy Bridge and also for the upcoming Ivy Bridge processors. Articles on Tom's and Anantech added that 1600 seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance with minimal performance gains seen using faster RAM for my intended uses.

Now thinking of getting something other than the CL8 I listed above.

Thanks.

I've been doing a bit more reading and from what I can tell CL9 1.5V non-ECC seems to be recommended for Sandy Bridge and also for the upcoming Ivy Bridge processors. Articles on Tom's and Anantech added that 1600 seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance with minimal performance gains seen using faster RAM for my intended uses.

Agreed. I would not bother with faster ram unless you can get a good deal as faster ram on average does not help performance. Faster ram will show up in benchmarks however it does not seem to have much effect on SB processors in the real world. Also I would not buy any ram that is > 1.5V since that is the maximum Intel recommended voltage.

Makers cannot test everything that is out on the market and probably take a reasonable sample from the major manufacturers for testing.

Before a board is on the market it is tested with a small sample of ram that is available at the time of the testing and this testing does not seem to ever be updated for the life of the motherboard. So to me if a dimm is on the QVL great if not just make sure it is the standard and you should be fine.

After a bunch of searching I decided to go with the Crucial CML16GX3M4A1600C9B.
It's a 4 x 4GB set of CL9, non-ECC, XMP, unbuffered, 1.5V, 1600 DDR3.
Unfortunately I just missed a deal on Newegg where it was only$60 after MIR.
I also like the low profile heat spreaders.

Back