Ram fails because I don't overclock

Sinster

Gawd
Has anyone heard of this before?

I've been building computers my own computers for 15 years and never had problems with ram failing. I'm on my 3rd RMA in 3 months Crucial Ballistix I know it's not the top of the line.. Here is the e-mail from Crucial techs

Thank you for contacting us. I'm questioning if the Ballistix modules are right for you since you are not "overclocking" and not utilizing that key function of the Ballistix modules. Maybe the Ballistix modules aren't for you and you would be better off going with our Crucial modules that are not meant for "over-clocking". I could swap out the Ballistix modules for Crucial standard 1066 modules (CT12864AA1067) if you would like or do you still want to go with the "over-clocked" Ballistix modules? Please let us know and we will set up the RMA accordingly.

Because I keep receiving fault RAM they want to downgrade me. I have had OCZ and Mushkin in this machine and they haven't failed. In fact when the Ballistix keep going south on me I throw in my Mushkin and keep trucking one.

Gigabyte GA MA790X-DS-4 rev.1
AMD 9850
8800GTX
X-Fi
PhysX Card

It's because you're 'overclocking' memory is certified for operation at higher than spec voltages e.g. the 'overclocking' memory requires 1.9v instead of the DDR2 spec 1.8v
you may need to up the voltage in the BIOS manually to 1.9v to get the memory to work because teh SPD on the memory (the thing that makes your BIOS use the manufacturer provided default voltage) is not being read out properly by your mobo or because your board does not support higher voltage settings (e.g. DELL/HP/IBM/etc OEM boards will not allow BIOS voltage tweaks).

given enough voltage most memory will overclock fairly decently providing the PCB layout and chips are good quality.

anyway, go with 'normal' memory or go buy Kingston ValueRam which does the job just fine. stay away from 'overclocking' memory unless you want to play with BIOS settings.

Voltage as per 3 different techs and a e-mail 2.2v. Well Crucial from what I read my mobo should play nice with the Ballistix.

One last thing, the board you are using, i've had strange problems with memory compatibility, try using a un-ganged configuration (e.g. not dual channel)
So put 1 memory module into each seperate channel instead of into the same 2 sockets occupying the same channel. read the manual if you need an explanation.

I'm in unganged configuration..
I always sent my memory timings and voltage manually. The voltage was set to 2.2v as recommended by Crucial Techs.

Can you test the ram in another board? As then that would either tell you it's the board or the ram real easy. Also you can try another bios , lower if you have issues with the latest.

Crucial seems that they are trying to help you since you are having so many issues. If the ram is less expensive then the other then i would explain that to them if not try it and see.

Good Day

Can you test the ram in another board? As then that would either tell you it's the board or the ram real easy. Also you can try another bios , lower if you have issues with the latest.

Crucial seems that they are trying to help you since you are having so many issues. If the ram is less expensive then the other then i would explain that to them if not try it and see.

Good Day

The ram fails in my 590i as well. Well from what I've read on other forums. That people are on their 6th RMA with Ballistix.
As far as the bios goes I've tried 3 BIOS's. I'm going say it's my ram because my Mushkin doesn't have an issue or hasn't had an issue. I should stay with the Mushkin but this is only PC6400 ..

I've seen a massive amount of problems with Ballistix RAM over the past few months. It seems like there's something wrong with the chips themselves; I really doubt it has anything to do with your system considering the myriad of similar problems that other people are having. I suggest you stick with the Mushkin in your system, or go with some sticks from a different brand until Crucial irons out the issues they've been having.

How long did your RMA's take? Crucial has had my set since the 15th! and I haven't heard word yet of a replacement sent out, just that they're processing them or something.:mad:

That's a little long. My first time was about 2 weeks. 2nd time they crossed shipped and now they are jerking me around..

That's alright Ram is dirt cheap. I ordered some Reapers.. Crucial will never get another dime from me.

haven't read your entire thread but mostly i had this prob. with high speed mushkin ram. it was the voltage being too low. try starting out with only 1 stick and get into the bios really quick and make the adj. or use some old ram to boot, adj., turn off, swap, boot. should be good. and run memtest for a while to make sure you're ok bad sticks of ram are more common than you may realize =)

e: even if you are running at stock speed the boot voltage makes a difference my old set of 996535 wouldn't even boot barely with only 1 stick b/c the bios ram voltage was at ~1.8. key is to use older ram, boot stock, change the bios, it'll restart, swap ram, reboot at correct voltage.

op you may already realize this but perhaps it's some benefit to other readers. high voltage ram in my exp. needs that voltage to even operate properly. also mushkin forums has a lot of peeps with same thing, pro ram that dies 4-6 mo. happened with me too i had to rma the mushkins so it's not just a specific vendor methinks

Back