Ram compatibility - Z490 Aorus Pro Ax - Gskill question.

mgty23

Gawd
Last edited:

Nasgul

Weaksauce
I've built Intel systems for the last 20 years and to this date and I've never experienced any RAM compatibility issues, so those should work.
Although personally, I wouldn't go with G.Skill, I'd highly recommend going with Corsair instead, the LPX line should be great too.

CAD4466HK

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the same RAM on a MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk.
XMP profiles worked out the box an was able to get them to run @ 3600 stable for several benches.
From what I've seen, Z490 isn't to picky about RAM. I'm sure they will work just fine on your mobo.

mgty23

Gawd
Oki thank you very much :)I will buy that ram then. GSKILL i had good experience in past. So i will choose

F4-3200C16D-32GVK​

mgty23

Gawd
I have question. That memory is rated XMP 2. But it will be possible to choose XMP 1 ?

Nasgul

Weaksauce
It seems like XMP would depend on your motherboard and RAM, so can't be really sure until you buy the motherboard and RAM. Just set the XMP at the rated speed. If not manually set it at that speed.
And again, that thing where I was only able to run my 3KMHz rated G.Skill kit at 2,933MHz in my new motherboard was annoying, because the moment I set it at 3K, it wouldn't boot properly, unless I hit the reset button 3 times.
Might have been the Z170 chipset as well, so who knows but either way, it'd all depend on RAM and motherboard which profile you can choose, and nevertheless make sure to run it at the rated speed with or w/o XMP.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I don't know where you see 1 and 2. If there's a second set of timings they are almost always bone stock compatibility timings/speeds to ensure boot. On first boot, just go into the bios, and set the XMP to whatever profile you see that has 3200Mhz speeds.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
xmp 1 profile and xmp 2 profile

Without having the RAM in front of me, and using google, it might have two different sets of profiles, but from what I can see, they are just two different sets of timings (likely with the same speeds). One is probably validated with the board, and the other is slightly tighter and may or may not work depending on the quality of your CPU memory controller.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106270-XMP-1-and-XMP-2-difference

Most memory only has 1 XMP profile and that's the advertised rated timings/speeds.

mgty23

Gawd
When i boot to UEFI bios there will be to choose 2 profiles of XMP 1 and XMP 2 profiles or only one?

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
When i boot to UEFI bios there will be to choose 2 profiles of XMP 1 and XMP 2 profiles or only one?

I have no idea. Why don't you boot it up and tell us? Most memory only has ONE XMP profile. I have no idea where you are getting 1 and 2 from. I don't remember seeing multiple XMP profiles in a while (like since DDR3 days). XMP 2.0 is just an Intel marketing gimmick.

I will tell you that you already wasted too much time worrying about only 3200Mhz memory on an Intel system. If you were concerned about 4400+, then maybe you'd have something to worry about.

Nasgul

Weaksauce
On my ASUS, it's both 1 and 2 but I think I choose the one that it reads the frequency the RAM is rated at. I've never paid that much attention to that, I just click and see the frequency and leave it alone.