Raja Koduri Discusses Leaving AMD for Intel in Interview

Well he seems to be saying in the article that he didn't have the money, assets, manpower, etc at AMD to accomplish what he set out to do. That's why he went to Intel.
yes i got that from the article :) , still it's not an excuse, now he is saying resources, when he fails at intel he will find another excuse...all talk

I always wondered how such high position could leave, go with competition, bring talents & etc. and not trigger the non-competition clause in almost all contracts I signed in my career. Those are difficult to enforce and are at the lower levels but I can't imagine it been difficult to prove he used previous resources or contact at that level...

Anyway, good on him, bring something to the market now !

Like others said, they don't have a lot of teeth in reality, and in the few cases that they do, the new company can settle out of court for the previous company to drop charges. Basically intel can stroke a check to AMD to have them void the non-compete if it comes to that.

Makes perfect sense! Hire someone, pay them greatly over two years while setting them on a path to failure.

Keep telling yourself that.

It's called politics and this kind of nonsense happens all the time. You keep telling yourself that situations like that don't exist.

This is the same guy who thinks those graphics in the indian Bahuballi movie are state of the art.
Not getting my hopes up for anything spectacular with him at the helm.

This is the same guy who thinks those graphics in the indian Bahuballi movie are state of the art.
Not getting my hopes up for anything spectacular with him at the helm.
Plus AMD is doing great! Like pentium vs athlon again

Until I see the [H]Review, it's all just Bitboys vaporware.

Raja flat out lied launching the RX480. I don’t even know why someone would hire him.

This guy loves to talk, and be "creative" with the truth. His "talent" is on display in every modern AMD graphics card, and nobody likes them, or thinks that they lead the market... I don't see Intel having GPUs any better than 3rd on the list. But I do see lots of Intel money being siphoned off to India, just like the "B team" he setup for AMD a few years ago, and various other Indian "projects"

Hmm let's see, amd budget for the past year in r&d = 1.4bn, this was greatly boosted thanks to Ryzen, nvidia's budget = 2.1 bn, Intel's =13.1 bn, so we can see a difference right off the bat.

During 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017 amd's graphics were indeed in austerity r&d wise as total budget was of only 1bn/year and it was mostly focused on the cpu division (this gamble paid off hugely, no kidding tho), so I can see him feeling that indeed he didn't have the resources available to do what he wanted, now if Intel's pockets are enough or not to put out a good show can't be known in advance, gotta wait for the product to arrive.

In any case I hope that they do some smart testing with the increased budget to try and produce energy efficient gpu's, even if their top offer gives middling performance if their perf/watt comes to be top or near top of the line then they will have a killer product money wise.

in all honesty i never saw the talent in raja, although he has the expertise in graphics engineering, i think his intel products will flop, i really don't see him bringing a " wow " arch, gave me the vibe of all talk and no walk when he was at AMD.

I see Raja as kind of a one hit wonder. We'll see what he does at Intel but he really talked up a game and failed miserably at AMD, hopefully he doesn't do the same at Intel. There's always new talent that comes and creates something that is mind blowing. Raja's days might be behind him in that respect.

Until I see the [H]Review, it's all just Bitboys vaporware.

thx for reminding me of them :D
that was some hype at the time !

if Raja can create the same excitement (with or without the vaporware), that might be fun :)

Back