Rainbow Six Siege Surpasses 20 Million Players, 2.3 Million Daily Active Users

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Rainbow Six Siege has hit 20 million players, which some say is a very impressive achievement in today’s intense shooter market. Operation Health was an initiative started by the development team this summer to issue a series of fixes and upgrades to improve the overall experience, and it appears to be working, being that the game manages to attract over 2 million players daily.

Rainbow Six Siege has grown. Its original roster of 20 Operators has expanded to 30, and 16 globe-spanning maps currently serve as the battlegrounds for the ongoing fight between attackers and defenders. And now it has another number to celebrate. Rainbow Six Siege recently hit the 20 million registered player mark, with more than 2.3 million players signing on every day. “Our community is growing and so is our ambition to make Siege a shooter that is here to stay,” says Nicolas Lefebvre, Product Director. “The next few weeks are very exciting as it marks the culmination of Operation Health and the release of our next season set in Hong Kong.”

I am glad Siege is getting recognition, the development team really looks like it cares about the game.

As much as I don't enjoy this type of game. Siege looks well designed and very fun to play.

I love me some Terrorist hunt mode in this game. Great game to play at LAN parties.

Did they crackdown on hackers? I wanted to play but every stream that my buddy in my old gaming clan did was a highlight film of how to hack a video game and tick everyone off. He tried to convince me how the game was so much fun that getting killed every other match by a hacker was fine. ;) Needless to say I skipped buying it.

That was in Season One though. That's why I'm curious about the state of anti-cheat in the game today.

Did they crackdown on hackers? I wanted to play but every stream that my buddy in my old gaming clan did was a highlight film of how to hack a video game and tick everyone off. He tried to convince me how the game was so much fun that getting killed every other match by a hacker was fine. ;) Needless to say I skipped buying it.

That was in Season One though. That's why I'm curious about the state of anti-cheat in the game today.

They definitely improved the anti-cheat, hackers still slip through occasionally but it wasn't bad as it was the first couple of months of launch.

Nice, I'll go back and check it out. I loved the beta but launch was fucked and I got a refund.

Went back a couple of months later and it was not fun, it felt like cheats, could have been me being incredibly bad but it was definitely a 'oh fuck off' moment when I'd put multiple rounds in heads and they'd just breathe in my direction and I was dead.

I play it on the PS4. Annoying team killing assholes for terrorist hunt is annoying as he'll, but the game is a blast past that point.

Game is really fun, I usually stick with casual and terrorist hunt and have a great time.

What's the story on the unlocking of operators? Do operators have different skill sets or is it more or less different skins? The "Starter Edition" is $15 but only unlocks 4 operators with additional girding need to unlock the rest.

I'm a cheap sob, so $15 sounds OK as long as the operator deal doesn't limit the gameplay.

This game sucked balls when it first released, but it has really become something pretty awesome...other than the hackers and assholes in ranked (as well as some balance issues).

Honestly though, I haven't played it in several months so maybe a lot of that has been alleviated by now.

What's the story on the unlocking of operators? Do operators have different skill sets or is it more or less different skins? The "Starter Edition" is $15 but only unlocks 4 operators with additional girding need to unlock the rest.

I'm a cheap sob, so $15 sounds OK as long as the operator deal doesn't limit the gameplay.

It's not bad, though only one of each unique operator is allowed per team so that may severely limit your choices (and yes, they do have different abilities and playstyles). There's a generic operator that you have to use otherwise, that has no special abilities but I believe you can customize their weapon loadout more. So it's not terrible, and if you play a fair amount then grinding for the other operators is not too bad. The costs for unlocking the DLC operators with in-game currency are kind of insane, though. At least they allow you to buy DLC operators with in-game currency in the first place.

I thought the game would be dead by now on PC at least. How is it? BF4 is still relevant online so I don't feel much of a need for it, and I do like Rising Storm 2, but I recall a basic R6 Siege for only $15.

That being said, a real R6 sequel suddenly became even 1 million percent less likely, up from 1/2 a million percent unlikely. :p

Anyone thinking about the Starter Edition at $15 should just wait for a sale, the game has gone to $20 before, and the grinding needed for operators with the starter edition leaves you behind in enjoying one of the unique aspects of the game.

I like to think the popularity is because it has single-player and co-op Terrorist Hunt capability...people still want those things.

Back