'Rainbow Six Siege' Scandal Shows Cheating Still Undermines eSports

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can understand someone cheating like this if they were a teenager but an adult in a pro league? Neither Ubisoft or the Electronic Sports League have taken action on this so maybe it is an isolated incident. Either way, the video below is pretty damning.

Cheating has plagued video games since their inception, but with the rise of eSports, it's more important than ever to keep it under control. Individual players and carefully organized teams are competing for money rather than egos now, and no recent incident better illustrates the legal troubles with stamping it out in official competitions quite like the campaign against a player accused of cheating in the Pro Leagues for Ubisoft's multiplayer shooter Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.

This has kind of turned me around on e-sport, it really is a sport. So why would it be different from any other professional sport?

I mean sure, less chemicals but still..

Professional Competition + Money = Cheating

Yep. Straight up cheating. I wonder how this guy internally justifies his actions.

This has kind of turned me around on e-sport, it really is a sport. So why would it be different from any other professional sport?

I mean sure, less chemicals but still..

Professional Competition + Money = Cheating
Normal sport chemicals are ones that help shape your body into something that would benefit your play, steroids, creatine, HGH, etc.
eSports uses chemicals that effect your mental state during the actual event, usually ADD chemicals like Adderall or Ritalin.

Both sports of hacks, whether it's pine tar to help your pitching, or a software hack to help your game.

Rainbow Six is rife with cheating. I stopped playing ranked matches because every-time we played clans where cheating and not even trying to hide it.

The really sad part is that UBI doesn't do shit about cheating. Their implemented Fair Fight system is useless.

Yep...and look at the cheating in Division. Ubisoft either just doesn't give a shit, or are too incompetent to deal with the issue.

Rainbow Six is rife with cheating. I stopped playing ranked matches because every-time we played clans where cheating and not even trying to hide it.

Even in Casual it is pretty bad. Ranked has the added frustration of taking 15+ minutes to get into a match a lot of the time.

Help me out here guys, because I really don't understand the problem. Okay, I get that people are cheating in casual play but in most sports when you compete for real you use a pre-set, standard, environment. That might be a snooker table (that's on the TV right now), or a football pitch, or a race track, or a dart board, or whatever, but it's the same for all contestants. Why is this different in professional e-sports? Mandate a standard set of hardware platforms with a standard Windows and game image and keep them regularly updated with patches. And charge for it.

Help me out here guys, because I really don't understand the problem. Okay, I get that people are cheating in casual play but in most sports when you compete for real you use a pre-set, standard, environment. That might be a snooker table (that's on the TV right now), or a football pitch, or a race track, or a dart board, or whatever, but it's the same for all contestants. Why is this different in professional e-sports? Mandate a standard set of hardware platforms with a standard Windows and game image and keep them regularly updated with patches. And charge for it.

Technically they are people are just still finding ways to get around it. eg. Deflating footballs

Yep...and look at the cheating in Division. Ubisoft either just doesn't give a shit, or are too incompetent to deal with the issue.

Even in Casual it is pretty bad. Ranked has the added frustration of taking 15+ minutes to get into a match a lot of the time.

yes it has been lately because ubisoft from my understanding un-banned everyone who was banned for hacking they claim they had no real proof of them cheating. That is basically telling the community cheating is ok as long as they are making money off the game and esports.

Last edited:
eSports just needs a tom brady, so these news will then go underneath the table as if it's just whatever, and the winners will still keep their prizes.

The irony of ubi punishing the division cheaters and not rainbow 6 shows how shit of a developer they are.

Why don't they stream the game? I mean, Nvidia's streaming service is down to what latency now? Probably REALLY low, almost perfect. I don't know about intercepting the data, but I doubt you could do much around that. Then you can control every aspect of it, guaranteed no cheating.

I can understand someone cheating like this if they were a teenager but an adult in a pro league? Neither Ubisoft or the Electronic Sports League have taken action on this so maybe it is an isolated incident. Either way, the video below is pretty damning.

Cheating has plagued video games since their inception, but with the rise of eSports, it's more important than ever to keep it under control. Individual players and carefully organized teams are competing for money rather than egos now, and no recent incident better illustrates the legal troubles with stamping it out in official competitions quite like the campaign against a player accused of cheating in the Pro Leagues for Ubisoft's multiplayer shooter Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.

Ubisoft has been clear on how they handle cheaters. They don't care.

I don't know why we don't yet have a machine learning AI based anti-cheat engine. Doesn't need to be done in real-time (that's expensive). But it could process the log of the game against known game parameters. When BF3 had their cheaters, it was obvious because their own stat engine would show which ones were cheating (they'd have accuracy stats outside the plausible parameter of the game).

We'll use TheDivision as an example:

Teleportation: Did player move from coordinate A to coordinate B in X time? Is that possible within legal parameters of game? Save log, ban player.

For anti-aimbot, it's trickier, but players with abnormally high amounts of headshots could be flagged and have random samples of their kills (5seconds surrounding them) saved for review. You could then see if their cursor is snapping to heads programmatically.

Last edited:
Why don't they stream the game? I mean, Nvidia's streaming service is down to what latency now? Probably REALLY low, almost perfect. I don't know about intercepting the data, but I doubt you could do much around that. Then you can control every aspect of it, guaranteed no cheating.
It's a bit difficult to stream something real time that takes 50GB of hard drive space.

Honestly, if they are ever going to do e-sports right, they need to do more events where everyone is present for the game. It could be a conference room in a hotel or an event center selling tickets, it doesn't matter. Everyone gets the same PC with same hardware and a freshly imaged hard drive. This may require a bit more money invested into the system, but that shouldn't be too hard to come by. IMHO, until this happens E-sports will be nothing more than a hobby and shouldn't be considered "Professional".

There are already a small handful of events like this, but they need to be extended to everything looking for "official" and "professional" e-sports status.

Last edited:
The narrator in the video is describing Remote Radar by Artificial Aiming which allows you to have an ESP hack display on a remote device like a Tablet, Phone, PC.

Last few years everyone caught cheating in counter-strike has openly said upwards of 80% of the pro's are cheating, they've just been smart enough to avoid detection or there is so few of them using the exploits they've not been caught

Considering in the last major scandal the amount of ppl using the hack only numbers in the 20's, and were paying between $2K-6K a month to use the hacks its a super lucrative business if you can't get caught

The hilarious thing is you should watch CS matches where they have fresh computers, new profiles etc with no way possible for them to be hacking, they play like pubbers and stop getting all those miracle shots

best part of the article...

Clever tells me he also recorded a video of his last match against the Astral team in which he positioned the monitor on the other side of the room in clear sight and sent it off to the ESL. As luck would have it, his team lost the match, but he notes he was "inhibited with the hate of a community for a solid week" that affected his and his teammates' gameplay.

I have always thought the fact that men get paid enormous amounts of money to play games so people can watch was an example of how fucked up we are.

Physical or mental...it's a fucking game. Who gives a fuck?

Who cares? The people whose games are ruined by these assholes. Gaming for money should be lan only or with a real time broadcast with a third party watching. Being old, I recall playing in the world championships of BFV against a German team called K2? I think. We were unable to SPAWN bc as soon as we did we were head shot. They won the match with perfect scores and went on to win the whole thing. This was via internet. It was utter bullshit. My team had spent a lot of time doing things like firing mortars to a pixel point on the map to hit near a spawn point. However, nobody could shoot the length of the entire map through jungle for a head shot. Yet this team did it every time. Yeah. A bit salty about that.

The guy's obviously doing something with a second screen. Why would anyone constantly look away from their monitor while playing an intensive online game? There's no rational reason except if he's using that second monitor to cheat. UBIsoft needs to look into this or stop hosting competitive online gaming with R6: Siege.

This is why we can't have nice things. Hard for me to believe that after all these years of gaming and rampant cheating we are always behind the 8ball. I am all for finger removal of proven hackers in a paid esport event.

Back