Rails not fitting rack?

criccio

Fully Equipped
What am i doing wrong here. The rack is a 27U 800mm x 800mm Cheetah, and the one server installed so far is a Dell Poweredge 2900. The rails where sent with the server, from Dell. As you can see, they arent letting the back door of the rack to close. If you need some more specific info, just let me know.

IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

IMG_9932.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

I will have a look at my Dell 2900, are you using the versa rails?

EDIT

Our racks are just over 810mm deep and we can close the rear doors (we don't though) we use the Sliding Rapid/Versa Rack Rails and use the Versa installation. (flip the rotating bracket over to the 3 bolt system on both ends.)

It looks like you are not the only one with this issue

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=310-8194

I alsways use HP/Compaq or Dell racks as I know that they can all use Dell, HP and IBM rails.

Also tell your friend to load racks from the bottom to the top, its safer that way.

Dell sells two kinds of rack rails, the versa rails (for third party racks) and Rapid Rails (for their own racks.) Looks like you just got the wrong ones.

Alright, thanks guys. I was posting this for a friend so I'll let him know.

Dell sells two kinds of rack rails, the versa rails (for third party racks) and Rapid Rails (for their own racks.) Looks like you just got the wrong ones.

Just wanted to point out that the rails are basically the same. The versa rail is a round hole rail design for 3rd party cabinets such as older based cabinets. The rapid rails are for square hole racks (newer generation) and dell cabinets. It appears that you have a very shallow rack and that is your main problem right there.

The best you can do is either A, look at universal rails such as the gruber rail system, or B, leave the doors off the cabinets.

Also, if you are looking for more 2900 rails, I have 4 full sets still sealed in boxes tha I want to sell for cheap.

Just wanted to point out that the rails are basically the same. The versa rail is a round hole rail design for 3rd party cabinets such as older based cabinets. The rapid rails are for square hole racks (newer generation) and dell cabinets. It appears that you have a very shallow rack and that is your main problem right there.

The best you can do is either A, look at universal rails such as the gruber rail system, or B, leave the doors off the cabinets.

Also, if you are looking for more 2900 rails, I have 4 full sets still sealed in boxes tha I want to sell for cheap.

Thanks Ockie, I will pass this info along. And do you have 4 sets of Versa or Rapid rails for sale?

Also tell your friend to load racks from the bottom to the top, its safer that way.

I agree. They need to re-rack the server and think long term for adding these in. I hate it when the system engineering guys get the wrong rails for me. I have to look around for anything they may work. When I can't they have to order them once again. I make them wait and or course they want to throw in the server into production that day. It happens.

Ok, well I agree, you have the wrong rails.

Thanks Ockie, I will pass this info along. And do you have 4 sets of Versa or Rapid rails for sale?

I believe they are all rapid rails because thats what we order for all of our cabinets and would be most suitable for your cabinet (since you do have a square hole rack).

Another option you have is to replace the rack, they are not very expensive and you can get a proper rack for your systems.

As for the rack loading comments (top down or bottom up) that is pure personal preference. I prefer top/middle down for the reason that all my cabinets are bolted down (no tipping) and also it makes it easier to service (assuming you don't load the entire rack right away), also, it's a good defense against flooding (this shouldn't happen, but it's just an extra precaution if you have the space to do so).

Also, I noticed that you have a solid rear door, I would highly recommend you replace the rack or toss the door, unless if you are isolating and transporting your hot air (containment)

I had the same issue with a rackmount PE 2900 in our APC racks at work. I just left the back mesh door off.

Back