Rails and Molex to PCI-E Y-Cables

astyler

Gawd
Hi, I've got a GPU requiring two 8-pin connectors for power.

My PSU, Corsair HX620, has two 6-pin outs and a bunch of molex/sata outs. It's modular, and within the specs required for this card.

The GPU came with two Y connectors that each convert two 6-pin PCI-E into 1 8-pin PCI-E.

The internal board for the modular plugs is shown here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=21

Basically, one PCI-6 out is on Rail1, the other PCI-6 out is on Rail2. There are modular/MOLEX outs on Rail1 and some on Rail2.

If I hook up a cable with two molex outs to each rail, I'll have 2 molex on rail 1, 2 on rail 2.

Is there an optimal/safe way to hook this up to my PSU? I have Y-cables that can convert 2 molex into one PCI-6.

My current option I am considering is each PCI-8 connector comes from one rail: One comes from Rail1 PCI-6 + 2 Rail1 Molex. The Y-cable for the molex is plugged into two molex outs from the same cable. The other PCI-8 is all on Rail2.

Another option is something more balanced. Maybe the Molex to PCI-6 cables each plug into both rails (the Y-Cable plugs into two different Molex cables). Then they are each paired with a PCI-6 to make a PCI-8.

The last option is both PCI-6 into one PCI-8, and both Molex->PCI-6 adapters into one PCI-8.

Thanks for any help.

From the article you linked, they seam to say that it is all one 12V rail which basically means it doesn't matter as long as you stay under 40A at all times. FYI if you have been using the PSU since you got it new, it might not be able to hold anywhere near that amount now. I wouldn't want to load it over 30A for any length of time, just to be on the safe side.

Back