RAID Woes with Asus P6T Deluxe (v1)

MavericK

Zero Cool
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but we'll try here.

I recently rotated my i7 920 build out of "main PC" use, so I was going to reuse it as a storage / VM box to play around on. Using the Asus P6T Deluxe original version with the SAS controller.

I did a full CMOS reset and started from scratch with a bunch of 2 TB drives I had around. But I'm running into some weird issues with the storage setup on this motherboard.

If I have the Marvell controller(s) enabled for the SAS ports to work, I am able to get into the controller and create a RAID there between two drives. However, none of the other drives plugged into SATA ports seem to show up. This is with the storage configuration set to AHCI.

If I set it to RAID, I am prompted with an Intel RAID menu where I can attempt to create a RAID between the other 6 SATA ports (SAS ports apparently disabled by doing this). This would be (almost) fine, except with 5x2 TB drives trying to create a RAID 5, it puts the total storage as being something like 800 GB (???). Should be around 8 TB I believe.

So, I'm not really sure how to configure this, or if what I want is even possible. I'd like to have the SAS controller be a RAID1 with two drives (as a boot/OS logical drive) and then have the rest of the SATA ports be a RAID 5 with the remaining drives. But I can't seem to figure out how to get that to work.

I know it's an old motherboard, but does anyone have any experience with this? I've tried searching elsewhere but there's not a lot of data on the whole storage subsystem on this board.

Ran into a similar problem on my P9X79 Deluxe. The probably ended up being that hardware RAID was not possible across the two storage controllers on the board. I had to make sure that the drives I wished to setup RAID for where either on the Intel controller or the Marvell controller.

Yep, different controllers, different raid setups, youll have to use one controller for the array.
Regarding the 800Gb when trying the Intel raid....is that what it shows in the raid controller/setup, or in Windows?

Yep, different controllers, different raid setups, youll have to use one controller for the array.
Regarding the 800Gb when trying the Intel raid....is that what it shows in the raid controller/setup, or in Windows?

In the RAID controller / setup. I managed to get it working by just manually setting the size. Ended up just going with an 80 GB SSD boot drive I had around, then the 5x2TB for the RAID5. Seems to be working okay so far.

I had a similar issue, different board..forget the model, but it would say 80mb in the raid bios, but actual size in disk management

Back