Raid cross OSes

cinohpa

Limp Gawd
I currently use Windows a lot, but I'm slowly moving towards open source oses as I am a programmer.

I'm wonder if I set up my OS on a small HD and then slowly add more hds after my initial bild, will I be able to set up raid on it after the fact or does the Raid need to be set up with the OS?

Also, do I have to do Raid separately for both OSes or is there some way I can have the drives/paritions with my OSes in one place and then separate drives dedicated specifically to RAID on their own regardless of OS?

I guess it would be kind of hard because windows can't read the format Linux uses, but if I set up raid for the windows system will I be able to work it in any way that the linux boot still experiences a speed or redundancy benefit?

Thanks.

for what you want to do, I would recommend hardware-based RAID.
with software-based RAID, I'm not sure if (or how) it would work.

I would also recommend installing your OS'es on a disk separate to the RAID array.

and yes, you can add more disks after-the-fact, you will just need to pop into the RAID controller BIOS and rebuild the RAID array to add in the extra disks.

If you format the RAID as NTFS, I know there's an app to allow Linux to use NTFS partitions, and that would be your best bet.

Back