Raid 0 - we all know hard drives die and will but would you do if you did not care ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
It is not ultra important NAS just for personal ripped dvds and blu rays on Plex. Even if one of the drives dies I still have backup just not on the NAS itself.

What would you do ?

Have double the storage space with raid 0 or use raid 1 for extra caution backup ?

Been running RAID-0 for a decade or so, with up to 12 SSD (3 raid-0 28 disks) drives both OS and data storage as well as scratch disks.

currently use 2x NVME boot disk and 4 NVME for storage.

is there a risk of failure, hell yeah, has it happened yes a couple of times, sir!

Is it worth it? to me yes it is.

To you maybe not?!

Do have additional backup strategy to cover those incidents where it does fail

good luck

henrik

Been running RAID-0 for a decade or so, with up to 12 SSD (3 raid-0 28 disks) drives both OS and data storage as well as scratch disks.

currently use 2x NVME boot disk and 4 NVME for storage.

is there a risk of failure, hell yeah, has it happened yes a couple of times, sir!

Is it worth it? to me yes it is.

To you maybe not?!

Do have additional backup strategy to cover those incidents where it does fail

good luck

henrik

Yes I do have an additional backup strategy to cover these incidents where if it does fail.

My main question is do I have to start all over on my Synology NAS when it does happen ?

Also sorry if I am able to prevent it from happening a few days or weeks before somehow is it possible to just replace one of the raid 0 hard drives then continue where I left off ? Or no ?

I've used Raid-0 many times with good results.

I wouldn't use Raid-0 just because you "need more space". I'd use it if you actually need the improved sequential transfer speeds. Like for example, my secondary file server has a bunch of older 5400rpm drives. They are so slow that, individually, they can't even max out a gigabit LAN connection. So I run them in pairs.

One thing I do however is monitor the drives SMART info on a regular basis. If one of the drives starts developing reallocated sectors, then I usually break up the raid-0 at that point, even if I continue to use the drives individually. Unfortunately it's not always as easy to check the SMART info on drives that are in a NAS.

ng4ever

how many drives are you thinking of using?

if you want redundancy then you need to look at a different raid setup

that is a NO to your question above. You need to start over again if you pull a disk/drive
describe your intended setup or what gear you have to play with

It is not ultra important NAS just for personal ripped dvds and blu rays on Plex. Even if one of the drives dies I still have backup just not on the NAS itself.

What would you do ?

Have double the storage space with raid 0 or use raid 1 for extra caution backup ?

Is this NAS connected by a standard gigabit link? If so, youre limited to a theroetical max of 125mb/s anyway, which in the real world is much less. Most decent drives nowadays can hold 100mb/s sustained through the duration of a read/write operation, so unless you desperately need the extra space, I would say just go RAID1 as you wont get any benefit performance wise from RAID0, and it is objectively a less reliable solution.

RAID0 uses stripes to increase capacity and read/write speed. SSD controllers have been using this technique for generations to increase capacity per drive.

Back