RagE's Summer Pics 2006 (new images November 17)

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
This summer instead of making a bunch of seperate threads, I figured I would just run a single thread and add pics to it as I go.

So here we go - Summer 2006

I got this extra-green grasshopper in a giant thorn bush in my back yard:
ghprspky.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 180mm Macro, F/18, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

Same with this cannibal:
canblfly.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 180mm Macro, F/11, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

Different grasshopper, same bush:
ghprspky2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 180mm Macro, F/14, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

I think this little fellow was trying to intimidate me. It was this "grabbing" position he was in that caught my attention in the first place:
thatmuch.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/20, 1/60, tripod mounted with dual flash

So much detail is lost in the downsizing. Here is a 100% crop of the little spider:
thtmchdtl.jpg

A little skipper butterfly:
fuzbfly.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/20, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

Last weekend marked the start of the "tadpole exodus" as the new almost frogs make their first trips up the beach. Unfortunately as the giant photographer would approach the tiny frogs they would do an about face and tear back into the water. I had to sit in a single place, not moving, until one came in range of the camera. I only got this single frog before my wife had had enough. (edit: I learned afterwards that this is actually a toad) Note the tail:
tpolplus.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, tripod mounted with flash

I don't know what the hell this is. Some kind of mutant grasshopper, I guess. They sure could jump! (edit: turns out it is called a "Camel Cricket" aka "Cave Cricket")
flshghop.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/22, 1/60, handheld with flash

This one was funny. Ever get the feeling you're in over your head? I think this little spider may have:
dav+gol.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/22, 1/60, tripod mounted with dual flash

And, of course, the mosquito. This image is cropped about 30%. I'm going to try for higher magnifications in the future:
bldsukr.jpg

More to come!

Fantastic pics, as always.

Seriously though, you guys that can get that close to bugs to take pics (I am assuming you aren't sitting in your lawn chair using a 5000x zoom lens) have some brass ones. That closest that I really want to be to those bugs is squashing them. Actually, I'd prefer not to be that close.

Amazing, as always. How's the bh-40 working out for you?

I normally dont post in here, but I just had to. Rage, those are som eof the most beautiful photos I have ever seen.

Nice pics for sure. Looking forward to the rest.

arkamw said:
Fantastic pics, as always.

Seriously though, you guys that can get that close to bugs to take pics (I am assuming you aren't sitting in your lawn chair using a 5000x zoom lens) have some brass ones. That closest that I really want to be to those bugs is squashing them. Actually, I'd prefer not to be that close.

Thanks!

With the 200mm at 1:1 ratio, I get about a 8" working distance from the insect (or whatever). So that would put your face about 15" or so from the subject - not really that close.

fugu said:
Amazing, as always. How's the bh-40 working out for you?

Thanks fugu.

I love the little BH-40! It was a tad awkward at first (since I am used to the Markins M20) but it didn't take long to adapt. I use the drop notch to point the lens downwards and since the Markins is a right-handed model, that puts the tension knob on the right side when the notch faces forward - kinda awkward. With the BH-40's 2 notches I get the best of both worlds.

Thanks to everyone else. Hope you guys like bugs 'cause I chase them all summer! Fuzzy and feathered things too but mostly creepy crawlies.

Here is the next wave of processed images:

Ever see a pile of white bubbles attached to a tree that looks like someone spat on it? Inside is a tiny little bug who blows those spit bubbles to conceal himself. However, after a rain, the bubbles break leaving an exposed little bug in liquid. Here he is:
spitbug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/13, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

Here is another in the "I've never seen one of these before" category:
spinebug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

Another one:
daisybug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/13, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

And a fly:
fly4.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, handheld with dual flash

More as I process

Oh, and remember the little RRS Groundpod I received last week? Well, it is indeed a sturdy little fellow. Check this out:

800gndpd.jpg

800gndpd2.jpg

My wife says it looks like a piece of field artillery :p

Wow. I've never seen such clear pictures of critters like this. Thanks for taking them and putting them up - they're amazing!

Freaking sweet photo skills going on here !! Keep up the excellent work. Thats a badass camera setup as well dude.

I guess this is the last of it for this week:

bunchberry.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 180mm Macro, F/14, 1/6, tripod mount

Lots of images to process this week. I experimented with my lighting a little more than usual last time out. I think some of the results came out pretty cool.

This first one is, I think, my favorite of the lot. Kind of Gigerish:
Gigerbug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/11, 1/60, tripod mounted with flash

The Chershire Worm:
sleepyworm.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/14, 1/60, handheld with flash

I backlit this fuzzy fellow with the setting sun:
glowpillar.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/8, 1/60, handheld with flash

stalkbug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/11, 1/60, handheld with flash

A good disguise:
bfly7.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Micro, F/11, 1/60, handheld with flash

A romantic moment:
robberlove.jpg

This little spider was so tiny I could barely see him much less focus. I bracketed my focus points and this one came out best:
antlunch.jpg

Lots more to come!

Next batch:

I was surprised to see that this flower-munching bug was actually furry and not shiny as he appeared:
flowereater.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/16, 1/60, handheld with flash

A little shallow on the DOF but I am trying hard to keep the backgrounds from going black:
bluedamsel.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/9, 1/60, handheld with flash

Not too often these guys will let you get close enough to stick a 90mm in their face at 1:1!
dragonsface.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro, F/22, 1/60, handheld with flash

This one is a little macabre. These ants found a dead grasshopper in a tree and took it down piece by piece:
bandits.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/10, 1/60, handheld with flash

PS-RagE said:
Oh, and remember the little RRS Groundpod I received last week? Well, it is indeed a sturdy little fellow. Check this out:
My wife says it looks like a piece of field artillery :p

holy fuck

so whats goin on over on mars, im sure you can see it with that bigass lens

I was going to ask what kind of lens was that and how much does it cost ??

Also how much for pictures of the lady undressing 20 blocks down from your house in the top right hand window lol

PS-RagE said:
Wow that is alot of jack for a lens but i'm guessing the distance and picture quality is amazing to say the least i'll keep that in mind instead of going on vaction honey i need this lol the woman down the street is kind of hot

Got a few unusual ones this week:

prickle.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 2000mm Micro, F/22, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

This guy looks like a deerfly but had an orangish body. He would hover loudly, checking me out. I put the camera in Manual mode so I could both stop action and get some DOF and let the flash light him up:
buzzbug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Macro, F/11, 1/500, handheld with flash

A pokemon?
pokebug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Macro, F/18, 1/60, handheld with flash

cherry web.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Macro, F/14, 1/60, handheld with flash

This was some good practice in profane language. This little guy was cold so was sitting perfectly still and I wanted to capture the morning light but, of course, a breeze kept blowing:
morningspider.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Macro, F/22, 0.77", tripod-mounted with focusing rail

This guy is really tiny. Those blossoms he is sitting on are yarrow. These images are the center half of the originals:
slinkybug1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Macro, F/32, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

slinkybug2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Macro, F/32, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

More tomorrow

These are a bit more "traditional" than the last couple of batches.

I believe this is a "carpenter bee". Can't say I'd ever seen these in Northern Ontario before:
c-bee.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 2000mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

I accidentially knocked this guy's lunch out of his mouth after taking this pic: :(
gotcha.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 2000mm Micro, F/25, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

deadaisy.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/16, 1/60, handheld with flash

This nest was in the pin cherry tree from the picture above:
crawling.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/32, 1/60, handheld with flash

The bush was just crawling with bees last weekend. Every flowering plant had three or four clinging to it:
twobees.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/25, 1/60, handheld with flash

Thanks!

Returned last Sunday from my annual week long (10 day) camping trip. Got a lot of images to process this time around. Here is the first wave:

The park was buzzing with these yellowjackets. They were eating everything in sight. There was a distinct lack of other insects in the park and although we did have a cold front hit mid-week, I'm pretty sure these guys were killing them off. This one was lying on his back in a pine tree eating another bug. I only got this single frame before he choked it back and flew away:
chewer.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/14, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

Here was one of their victims - he's missing a few parts:
chewed.jpg

Here is something you don't see too often (and probably never wanted to) - a slug crawling on a pile of bear shit! Yummy recycled blueberrys :cool:
bloopoo.jpg

Speaking of blueberrys:
blueberry1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/10, 1/15, tripod-mounted w/ focusing rail, reflector

Many of the insects left in the park (i.e. not eaten by yellowjackets) were really little so I had to increase magnification. This tiny little fellow was making a cocoon as I watched! Neat stuff at around 2X:
ccnworm1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at full extension with additional 68mm extension, F/20, 1/60, tripod mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

Now here is a little thing. This is a red spider mite. To the eye it doesn't look like much more than a dot. Can't guess at the magnification - 3X, 4X? I had about 1/2" working space. The background is my fingernail:
reddot.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at full extension with additional 68mm extension plus inverted 50mm, F/20, 1/60, tripod mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

A real closeup of a stinkbug:
microstink.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at about half extension with additional 68mm extension plus inverted 50mm, F/20, 1/60, tripod mounted w/ focusing rail and flash

Another in the realm of the tiny (around 2X). Saw quite a few of these strange little fellows. I'm not sure if this is something he carries on his back or if it is part of him. When they noticed you looking at them they would drop and hide under their "shells":
camobug.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at full extension with additional 68mm extension, F/16, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

A spider in the woodpile:
spider2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/16, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

A little caterpillar munching at his perch:
catchew1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at full extension with additional 68mm extension, F/22, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

Hey! What's going on under there?
catchew2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at full extension with additional 68mm extension, F/22, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

Lots more to come........

Great shots man. Now you got me thinking. I need to lean more towards the D2X, despite the extra weight and, cost. Have you used the 85mm f/2.8 PC Micro? Im wondering how good it is.

Joves said:
Great shots man. Now you got me thinking. I need to lean more towards the D2X, despite the extra weight and, cost. Have you used the 85mm f/2.8 PC Micro? Im wondering how good it is.

Thanks

If you are interested in macro, what you need is glass (or tubes) and a flash bracket - not a new body.

No, I have not tried the 85mm PC. It is a neat sounding lens but certainly has its limitations. Here is a good article on it.

PS-RagE said:
Hey! What's going on under there?
catchew2.jpg

That quote makes the picture so awsome i think i'm going to use that as my desktop wallpaper

Took a little time at the end of the day to process so here is some more.

Once again tried my hand at some LBBs (little brown birds):
lbb1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400 VR at 400mm, F/7.1, 1/60, handheld w/ extended flash

This guy was probably the biggest caterpillar I've ever seen:
bigcatrp.jpg

Some kind of bee?
beebug.jpg

A little spider in its web rolls up dinner:
spdrroll.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

This shy fellow didn't want to have his picture taken:
shyguy.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

I guess this is a lichen. Looks like something from War of the Worlds:
wowplant.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/16, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ flash

My wife thought I was nuts poking my 12mm lens at this hive..... actually I used extension on the 80-400 to decrease the minimum focusing distance:
hivehole.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400 VR at 400mm with 68mm of extension, F/14, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ focusing-rail and flash

Although not a good technical photo (kinda cluttered), I still like this one. Did I mention LBBs are rather hard to photograph?
lbb2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400 VR at 400mm, F/11, 1/60, handheld w/ extended flash

Heres one for the whole family! A hungry yellowjacket chews the eye from a roadkilled chipmunk :D
eyechew.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm, F/16, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

more to follow.......

PS-RagE said:
Heres one for the whole family! A hungry yellowjacket chews the eye from a roadkilled chipmunk :D
I loled :p

Nice shots. can't wait to see more. and I still envy your setup :mad:

OK - last batch for tonight.

An isolated clump of ground cedar :
gndcedar.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/5.6, 1/20, tripod-mounted

Yet another LBB:
lbb3.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400 VR at 400mm, F/5.6, 1/320, handheld with extended flash

Out with the Big Gun. Lots of woodpeckers in this park. This one was about 20 feet up a tree 40 feet away:
woodpkr2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 300-800 at 800mm, F/5.6, 1/160, tripod mounted w/ extended flash

Finally a cranefly that came out. These things glow like lightbulbs when you flash them. I've been trying to get a good pic of one all summer.
cranefly.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/16, 1/60, handheld with flash

An empty chrysalis shell:
oldcrys.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/16, 1/60, handheld with flash

Another spider in the woodpile. You'll see more of this guy - got a number of good pics of him:
spider3.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/20, 1/60, handheld with flash

Back to the world of micro. The spikey bush on the right is a single juniper moss bunch. This whole scene was maybe 10 mm high:
microscene.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 60mm micro at full extension with 68mm additional extension, F/14, 1.3", tripod mounted w/ focusing rail, diffuser

Thats all for tonight

Back