RagE's Summer Pics 2006 (new images November 17)

Only had time to do a few tonight (still quite a number to go):

woodpkr3.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 300-800 @ 800mm, F/5.6, 1/125, tripod-mounted w/ extended flash

wowplants.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm macro, F/13, 1/3, tripod-mounted

lbb5.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 300-800 @ 800mm, F/5.6, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ extended flash

sapdrop.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/8, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

lbb4.jpg

Nikon D2X, Sigma 300-800 @ 800mm, F/5.6, 1/60, tripod-mounted w/ extended flash

Very impressive pictures.

I also love how you put the hardware used in the corner. Too many pictures are posted here and are stripped of their exif info. I always look for it but never see it in most pictures.

Dale, please excuse the uncouth question but after viewing your shots for the last few years I simply have to ask: do you do this all for personal enjoyment or do you somehow monetize these shots? Cause your work is so much better than I see in macro books and magazine shots and you seem to get so much joy out of it.

Sam

Thanks for the compliment. It is pure hobby for me. Every weekend, I pack all my gear and my family up and head out into the woods. Mornings and evenings I wander about feilds and trails looking for subjects. I post the images here, at Nikonians and on my website and that is it. I rarely print but this year I think a few more will hit the walls of my office.

That is fantastic. I have to remind myself that when it comes to some other hobbies, powerboating for example, our gear prices arent that big a deal. So comparing that Monster Zoom to a 30' Cuddy Cabin the lens holds its value a lot longer, produces lasting output, and is a lot more portable =)

Thanks for sharing your pics, they truly are an inspiration to us other hobbyists.

Sam

How do you put the exif data in the frame of the picture? Is it a simple photoshop filter or do you manually have to do it the long way? I have never touched a photoshop filter (except of the built in color adjustments) in my life but I am sure they make it easy because that is what I hear people talk about all the time.

And boy, this really fits the definition of expensive hobby if you really do own that Sigma zoom.

Staples said:
How do you put the exif data in the frame of the picture? Is it a simple photoshop filter or do you manually have to do it the long way?

It's not in the frame

Staples said:
How do you put the exif data in the frame of the picture? Is it a simple photoshop filter or do you manually have to do it the long way? I have never touched a photoshop filter (except of the built in color adjustments) in my life but I am sure they make it easy because that is what I hear people talk about all the time.

And boy, this really fits the definition of expensive hobby if you really do own that Sigma zoom.

If you look, you will see the EXIF is not within the frame but typed under the image.

All of my colour corrections, levels etc are done with Nikon Capture. I use PhotoShop to clone out dust bunnies, crop, resize and unsharp mask .

Indeed it is, bar none, the most expensive hobby I have ever had. I love gadgets and there are so many........

Well, this is the last of them for that trip:

This is a Spruce bug. Apparently, they have fuzzy faces: :confused:
woodbug2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/18, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

daymoon.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400 VR @ 95mm, F/11, 1/180, handheld

Here is another of that little spider:
spider4.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/20, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

lbb6.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400 VR @ 400mm, F/6.3, 1/60, handheld w/ extended flash

I've been wanting to get a pic of a loon in this position since, well, forever.
loon.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400 VR @ 400mm, F/6.3, 1/250, handheld

As I was walking by a fellow's campground, he says to me: "you wanna see a tree full of squirrels?" I was just starting to smile and nod when a squirrel popped its head out of the tree, and then another. So I hunched down and shot his squirrels moving closer and closer until I got this:
squirell.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/8, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

antbloom.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/16, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

A beaver's skull:
skull1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 60mm micro, F/8, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

skull2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 60mm micro, F/8, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

Jumping spiders are hard to get pictures of (for obvious reasons) but are even harder when your assistant (aka wife) won't pay attention and keeps saying: "aw, isn't he cute!" :rolleyes:
spider5.jpg

spider6.jpg

So there we have it. A ten day trip to Esker Lakes Provincial Park. This weekend? Back to Kettle Lakes Provincial Park of course! ;)

The detail on the skull is amazing, as is everything else...

But then, what else have we come to expect from you ;)

I hate you Rage! First, I see this thread during the free weekend and have to drop $15 for the lifetime [H] subscription so that I can keep an eye on this thread....not to mention GenMay is a pretty cool place anyway. Now I have a Canon 20D on its way to me! AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! I HATE YOU!! LOL....great shots man. I hope to be half that good one day!

PS-RagE said:
If you look, you will see the EXIF is not within the frame but typed under the image.
I'll be damned. I thought it was ontop of the white border around the picture.

Well, summer is dwindling away and my subjects are becoming fewer. Here is from last weekend:

Still quite a few of these guys left:
dragon6.jpg

A team of ants trying to move a dead beetle:
antwork1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm macro at full extension w/ 68mm additional extension, F/20, 1/60, +.7 EV, handheld w/ flash

antwork2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm macro at full extension w/ 68mm additional extension, F/20, 1/60, +.7 EV, handheld w/ flash

A yellowjacket attacked and killed this caterpillar as I watched - pretty brutal. Once the caterpillar was dead, the yellowjacket flew off :confused:
brutal.jpg

After shooting the yellowjacket attack, I looked down and saw this little guy peering up at me from the top of the mirror box so I put him down on this dead log:
spider7.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/22, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

Baring his fangs:
spider8.jpg

This, BTW, is the equipment I shlep on my back into the woods every morning/evening for these images:

macrokit.jpg

D2X body
200mm f4 macro
90mm f2.8 macro
60mm f2.8 macro
80-400mm VR (just in case)
62mm polarizer
Kenko extension tubes
SB800 flash
SB600 flash
SC-29 remote cable
flash extender (goes with the 80-400)
RRS B85B and B87B flash brackets w/ multipurpose rail and extender bar
Kirk focusing rail
Remote release
Right angle view finder
22" reflector and diffuser
Plamp
Spare battery and CF cards (12G total)
Gitzo 1340 tripod w/ Markins M20
RRS groundpod with RRS BH40

All jammed into a Lowepro MiniTrekker (a surprisingly capable little backpack).

Perhaps this weekend I'll see if I can get an image of all my equipment. I need one for my website anyhow.

Every weekend now I can see more of my season slipping away. My subjects are getting harder and harder to find. I have often found spiders to be the most elusive of subjects but strangely last weekend they seem to be almost all I saw.

This guy is as big as he looks. He was in a hurry and didn't want to stop to have his picture taken. I had to keep redirecting him so he wouldn't climb up the tree and out of sight:
spider10.jpg

As I followed the big guy climbing away up the tree, I found this furry little fellow:
spider11.jpg

Peering into the spider's lair. Shortly after I took this pic, an ant crawled straight down the "chute". The spider grabbed him so fast, I couldn't focus on time:
spider9.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/29, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

A tiny little jumper. This image is about a 1/3 crop :
spider12.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/25, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

Just how bright is your flash. I am reading the exif data and I am seeing stuff like f/29 at 100ISO and a shutter speed of only 1/60 of a second. Maybe I should invest in a flash if I will be able to pull off macro shots that fast.

I mostly use a Nikon SB-800 with a max GN of 184. Since most of my pictures are taken within two feet or less, I can use those tiny little apertures. The trick is to use a flash bracket to get the flash right out over the end of the lens and a diffusion dome to soften the shadows. I will typically run the flash at -2/3EV to keep as much ambient light as possible (try to keep backgrounds from going black) and prevent the "over-flashed" appearance of my subjects (who often are coated with fine white hairs).

The rest from last weekend:

This little fellow was "barking" - probably telling his buddies there was easy pickin's at this location:
chipmunk2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm micro, F/5, 1/60, handheld w/ flash

A tiny little moth
minimoth.jpg

Another robber:
redrobber.jpg

If you look closely at this "branch" you will notice it has a face:
stickworm.jpg

My first 'Macro' shot, inspired by this thread!

237407518_f06343983e.jpg

It was handheld with a Canon 20D and a Tamron 28-75 DI which claims to have macro capabilities tho this is the first time I have put that to use. Obviously its not a true Macro lens but until I save up for the 100 2.8 Macro it will have to do.

Sam

wow, great pics, i'm surprised that i've never seen these before
keep up the good work and keep posting plz!

All week I've been going through my "rejects" from the summer and found I'd passed on quite a few good ones the first time around. So here is a new batch for your entertainment:

Untitled1.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro, F/16, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled3.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/14, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled4.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro, F/16, 1/30, tripod

Untitled5.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/11, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled6.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/11, 1/20, tripod

Untitled7.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/16, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled8.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro, F/16, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled9.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled10.jpg

Theres more!

Untitled11.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at full extension plus 68mm additional extension, F/16, 1/60, tripod-mounted + focusing rail with flash

Untitled12.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm Macro at full extension plus 68mm additional extension, F/20, 1/60, tripod-mounted + focusing rail with flash

Untitled13.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/13, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled14.jpg

Untitled15.jpg

Untitled16.jpg

Untitled17.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 60mm Micro, F/11, 1/60, tripod-mounted, diffuser and reflector

Untitled18.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 6", tripod-mounted, polarizer

Untitled19.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/6.3, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled20.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/20, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled21.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400VR at 400mm, F/7, 1/125, handheld

Untitled22.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 80-400VR at 400mm, F/7, 1/250, handheld

Untitled23.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/16, 1/60, +.7EV, handheld with flash

Untitled24.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/18, 1/60, +.7EV, handheld with flash

Untitled25.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/20, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled26.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/22, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled27.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/7, 1/5, tripod-mounted, polarizer

Untitled28.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/29, 1/60, handheld with flash

Untitled29.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/25, 1/60, -.3EV, handheld with dual flash

Untitled30.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm Micro, F/25, 1/60, -.3EV, handheld with dual flash

NICE PHOTOS, all of them, i went through all 4 pages, i even scared my aunt with the spider pics, so close and detailed, you do a great job of catching them at work.

question out of curiosity, u said u go through woods n what not in mornings etc, and being that you even got a pic of a slug in bear shit, do u carry a firearm?man id hate to come across a bear.
Im not sure if u have, but have u ever got a pic of any bears up there in Canada?
I like all the insects, jus wish u coulda maybe got a live beaver, heh, or some deer etc..., would like to see more wildlife permitting they dont smell or hear you, but you do have 1 hella nice Camera rig/setup.

A firearm huh? :D I'm already carrying enough equipment without adding that to the load. Besides, I don't think the Park Rangers would really appreciate anyone carrying around a rifle.

Anyhow, bears in Northern Ontario are black bears - rather timid creatures. You can often smell them (bears really stink) but don't often see them. So far I have only seen one on one of my hikes and didn't get a very good pic of him. Other times I have seen them is from the truck and by the time you get stopped they are long gone. Moose do that too. A beaver is very high on my list but so far I haven't been able to get close enough to the dams.

I love your macro work, Rag. Would you mind sharing how you've set up your flashes for some of those shots?

Most of the flash work looks like this:

90macro.jpg

getting the diffused head right over the end of the hood. I will try to rotate the flash head so the flash is facing the subject head on.

In some cases, I will use two flashes with the second used to illuminate the background. The second flash can either be diffused and mounted on the bracket with an extension or I'll just stand it on the ground. It all depends on how far the background is from the subject.

Dale, have you considered making a Blurb.com or other similar book of your work? I'd buy a copy!

Sam

Rage your my hero! even when I first started case modding years ago I was oggleing over you tower of rage..

even though you shoot nikon

Kadath said:
Dale, have you considered making a Blurb.com or other similar book of your work? I'd buy a copy!

Sam

I had never heard of Blurb before before but that service is really cool! I'll definitely be doing that. Thanks!

I am about to order two copies Dale! Are you willing to sign a copy if I was to ship it to you and include cash for shipping back? =)

Sam

OK, I put my money where my mouth is and ordered the two copies. For anyone else considering doing the same use coupon code: freeshiptaf for free slowboattochina shipping.

My mom's as big a fan of your photography as I am, she's gonna be thrilled. How many pages is it? It's gotta be more than 80 cause I paid less for mine 80 pager (which I didnt make public cause its mostly family snapshots, not fine art, or any art tho theres a few in there I'm pretty proud of) =)

Sam

Back