RAGE PC Stuttering w/ Cat 13.4

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
I updated my video drivers today to 13.4. I was running 12.4 or something from last year which worked fine with Rage except it used only one video card instead of both of my 6850 cards.

Now when I go to play Rage 64 the game stutters real bad... 1 second it moves and 5 seconds it locks up... repeats over and over. I have fiddled with all the settings in the game and nothing helps.

Googling turned up information from like 2011 about disabling Catalyst AI and that fixes it, but I can't seem to find that setting in 13.4 CCC.

any suggestions?

Have you tried disabling crossfire to see if it's really the drivers or a crossfire issue?

Have you tried disabling crossfire to see if it's really the drivers or a crossfire issue?
Yep, that was the first thing I tried.

Or maybe try 13.5 beta on the AMD website.

I have been having a heck of a time with AMD's drivers. I get flickering on the desktop with everyone of them I have tried up until these 13.4 drivers. That's why I was on the 12.8 drivers so long.

Just tried Rage 64 and 0 stuttering. Do you have FRAPS running? I remember that causing stuttering for me last year. 13.5's here and 3TB 7200 rpm Seagate hard drive.

I was just trying it with FRAPS off and I noticed that when I quit the game, it instantly restarted. I think Steam is trying to start more than one instance of it.

EDIT, maybe not.

Last edited:
After the game got going it didn't stutter for me. It took 5 minutes to launch the damn game before I could see the first menu. Do you have that problem? In BF3 some of the guys have to disable Hyperthreading for some reason to get it to run properly. I'm not sure why though. And you have to have FRAPS unloaded completely with RAGE running. Otherwise it freezes every few seconds for me when I tried it last year.

After the game got going it didn't stutter for me. It took 5 minutes to launch the damn game before I could see the first menu. Do you have that problem? In BF3 some of the guys have to disable Hyperthreading for some reason to get it to run properly. I'm not sure why though. And you have to have FRAPS unloaded completely with RAGE running. Otherwise it freezes every few seconds for me when I tried it last year.

The reason why is that Rage is a buggy mess. I recently was asked by a friend to build a gaming PC for him , which I did , he then proceeded to ask me to optimize some games for him that he wanted to play (he's be out of the gaming world for a while but now has lots of free time) and one game he asked me to install was Rage which I almost told him flat out "NO" since my hatred for it is pure and burns with the fury of a million suns..

However I owed him for a favor he did for me recently so I went a head and did it. It took me hours to figure out the stuttering problem , and it came down to fucking FRAPS. He wants to record his games so he can upload to Youtube and show them to friends at his work to entice them into getting gaming PC's as well (I know , weird logic) so yea...

First thing first, have you rolled back to the old driver and tried to see if it runs? I understand that it worked before but other factors may of changed things on your PC in the past year. You need to verify the old drivers work first.

I've always had rage stutter problems, seem to remember it being related to the use of the megatexture tech,

While it wasn't exactly stuttering, I do get shit performance in this game with my 7950. That in conjunction with the 1990 textures made this game unplayable for me. I enjoyed it much more when I played it at my cousins house, but then again I didn't have a PC for 2 weeks then.

It was FRAPS and MSI Afterburner.

I was screwing with my overclock, turning it down, and I started to get flickering at the desktop. I ended up BSDing twice. Booted to safe mode and uninstalled MSI Afterburner and rebooted. I applied my overclock using AMD Overdrive and started the game. Still stuttered, alt tabbed out, killed FRAPS, and it ran like a champ.

So, either MSI Afterburner or FRAPS causes this. Odd thing is that it ran fine with both until I updated my drivers... must be a combination of newer drivers and something that either of these programs hook into.

You had more luck with RAGE than I did. With and without crossfire on I couldn't get more than about 3 fps. That was money not well spent.

You had more luck with RAGE than I did. With and without crossfire on I couldn't get more than about 3 fps. That was money not well spent.

It still isn't running very good, after I posted above, I was playing and it started stuttering more and more about 10 minutes later.

Back