Rage HD iPhone Gameplay Footage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to one of you guys, we have some actual gameplay footage of Rage HD for the iPhone for you guys today. The game looks good, now all they need to do is get the PC version of the game out and we’d be all set. :p Thanks again to stagueve for the video.

holy shit.....

that is damn impressive for something running on a cell phone.

Technically impressive but I have no desire to play this kind of game on a 4" screen.

3.5" screen lol.

I'm fine playing something like this on a mobile screen, the size isn't an issue, controls are.

Controls are a problem too. It's just that now that I'm used to stuff like 3D Surround a 3.5" screen just isn't worth it for this kind of game to me.

when will stuff like this come to android?

JC mentioned that he is looking into it on his twitter. It will only be compatible with phones that have discrete gpu's obviously.

It's really impressive what such small portable hardware is capable of now. Great $2 impulse buy!

Yeah, but now Duke Nukem has to get delayed again to switch to this engine.

This joke brought to you by The Year 2005.

I tried it a little while ago. Graphics are extremely impressive... gameplay is very similar to Doom Resurection for the iphone (on rails, uses the accelerometer and gyro for aiming)

all in all, it's a pretty fun game. I wonder how well it would run on a 3G though

Definitely getting this.. First FPS I've seen done right on a cell phone.

JC mentioned that he is looking into it on his twitter. It will only be compatible with phones that have discrete gpu's obviously.

It's really impressive what such small portable hardware is capable of now. Great $2 impulse buy!

Good because I havent really found anything worth getting on android, but have 20+ games on my iPhone 4. My droid X is jealous.

3.5" screen, shit controls. what a great idea.

I would rather crumple up paper and try to throw it in a trash can.

lol damn too many iphone haters here. You gotta admit, that is impressive for such a small device that the graphics would compete with Wii :D

Yeah, but now Duke Nukem has to get delayed again to switch to this engine.

This joke brought to you by The Year 2005.
Haha I chuckled...

I tried it a little while ago. Graphics are extremely impressive... gameplay is very similar to Doom Resurection for the iphone (on rails, uses the accelerometer and gyro for aiming)

all in all, it's a pretty fun game. I wonder how well it would run on a 3G though
I wonder how many people will continue post how much controls suck without realizing this first? I wonder...

I'm surprised that as supportive of open formats and critical of closed systems as Carmack is, that he'd put the game on the iPhone first.

Unless you jailbreak your iPhone, you can't even have a decent controller for this thing and you'll have all those beautiful graphics covered up by your thumbs on a 3.5" screen.

Controls are a problem too. It's just that now that I'm used to stuff like 3D Surround a 3.5" screen just isn't worth it for this kind of game to me.

Yes, well you may have missed the point of gaming on this type of device. Well, in any case, I wish you good luck bringing your 3D surround gaming system complete /w three monitors into your doctor's office while your waiting who knows how long to speak with him/her for a 5 minute visit.

Great iPad game for $2. Graphics are good and the ideal of a shooter on rails works better than a regular FPS on a Tablet/Touch Screen.

Yes, well you may have missed the point of gaming on this type of device. Well, in any case, I wish you good luck bringing your 3D surround gaming system complete /w three monitors into your doctor's office while your waiting who knows how long to speak with him/her for a 5 minute visit.

Nothing wrong with mobile diversions, that wasn't what I was trying to say, I was simply saying that this type of game just isn't well suited for a mobile device I believe, but then there are games that just work, like Angry Birds, just works well on a phone. An first person just works well on a high-end PC. And while Angry Birds would work fine on a PC I just isn't really the right platform for it.

There are a ton of things I can do on a phone or even my W100 or even tm2 if I'm going to want to do a lot of things for an extended period of time. But I just wouldn't play Rage on them is all.

But yeah this whole multi-monitor thing has just grabbed me, along with 3D in certain games.

I just tried it on my iPhone 3GS (no high res display like the iPhone4) and its a little harder to control since the dodge button is on the left and I accidently hit it while aiming. Objects are also smaller, so health packs and ammo are harder to pick up. However since its a shooter on rails I think it does work well for mobile devices. Its easy to pick up and play. Much better than Duke Nukem 3D since you don't have to worry about moving the character around and aiming all at once. Really its like an advanced version of Annie Shot (duck hunt style) which I think works well on mobile devices.

when will stuff like this come to android?

Despite the rumours, probably never. For whatever reason, John Carmack has always loved to suck Apple's cock. This contradicts his supposed 'open platform' stance, so I assume he's just being given tons of Apple cash.

Joking? Nope.
In software and web-based architectures, an Open Platform describes a software system which has published external programming interfaces that allow using the software to function in other ways than the original programmer intended, without requiring modification of the source code. Using these interfaces, typically known as an Application Programming Interface (API), a 3rd party could integrate with the platform to add functionality. An Open Platform does not mean it is Open Source. An Open Platform can consist of software components or modules that are either commercial or open source or both.
Open source? Nope. Open platform? Yeah.

Back