Rads to cool a 3930K?

Vegasr

Gawd
So I'm putting together my new build consisting of a 3930K, goal is to OC to around 4500. I have two options on the radiators. First is using two seperate 120 swiftech rads in one loop with a 355 pump. The second is a 120.3 using a 655 pump. I would perfer to use the two 120 rads as it would be easier but would hate for it not to be enough cooling.

Recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited:
2x120 would be fine, especially with 2 fans on each. 120x3 would give the option of less noise as you could use slower (quieter) fans, (or increase the cooling, though that probably wouldn't gain you much overclocking room, just cooler temperatures). Remember people cool them using all in ones. which are just a single 120mm radiator, double that will be fine.

Flow restriction would be probably be slightly higher on the 2 radiators, but it would be unnoticeable (so why did I even mention it :confused:). Either pump would be fine with either, a single/dual rad and a CPU block is a low restriction loop.

Thanks for the input. I might be able to add a second fan to one of the 120s, but not both.

Here is a pic of my setup when it was running full tilit. Gives an idea of how the rads are setup.

img6054pt.jpg

By vegasr at 2010-12-13

In terms of performance, either setup will handle that cpu with no problem. Whichever suites your needs more should be your choice.

In terms of performance, either setup will handle that cpu with no problem. Whichever suites your needs more should be your choice.

Thanks, I should be working on it tonight so will be a game time decision.

This is my old rig with the 360 in the bottom :) Your PSU is to long for a 360 to fit in the bottom but I'm sure a 240 will fit np. Probaly could go with a 280mm rad down in the bottom as it's wide enough. Give you a little more cooling.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks..Wish I had never sold it. Was one of my favorite builds. And it was so quite couldn't even hear it running..

This is my old rig with the 360 in the bottom :) Your PSU is to long for a 360 to fit in the bottom but I'm sure a 240 will fit np. Probaly could go with a 280mm rad down in the bottom as it's wide enough. Give you a little more cooling.

Just curious as to how you routed the PS cables since the 360 rad seems to be almost touching the PS.

Back