Radom freezes, dont know whats causing it

Stayfr0sty

Gawd
Im getting random freezes on desktop. Dont know whats causing it. They mainly happen when system is idle and monitor is in sleep mode. Very rarely when gaming.
See specs below in signature for system specs.

Ive tryed running memtest and windows memory diagnositic, both come out clean.
OCCT on CPU and it comes out fine.
Game generally dont crash but I still suspect video or maybe even PSU as culprit. Freeze is happening at defaults so I know OC isnt causing it.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Is this causing a complete system hang where all you can do is restart the machine or does it just stutter?

I know I had a similar issue when I first got a P67 board (I know, yours is AMD but still) and I ended up RMA'ing my memory which was apparently okay and never gave me issues on my AMD build before it. The system would completely hang usually when idle and would kill all ethernet activity throughout the house. Had this problem with multiple P67 boards until I RMA'd the memory. Pretty strange.

Try turning off the C-states and possibly upping the memory voltage. I'm not sure if this will help but, its worth a shot.

I strongly suggest that you should isolate the problem by checking one by one your devices.
1. May I know what is the firmware version of your hard disk? (If you create Raid).
Change you check if your hard disk belong to this WD Veloriraptor firmware. (not sure maybe check to try).
Maybe you can update your firmware to try or check with WD.
WD Velociraptor Raid problem links:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1452275
2. Maybe you may as well change the power supply to check?
3. If you remove Asus Sonar sound card and used onboard to check?
(This can isolate if sound card problem).
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273841-28-asus-xonar-please-plug-audio-device
4. Also check your memory if two dimms install only?
5. Try to update your chipset driver from GBT website:
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#dl

Last edited:
I strongly suggest that you should isolate the problem by checking one by one your devices.
1. May I know what is the firmware version of your hard disk? (If you create Raid).
Change you check if your hard disk belong to this WD Veloriraptor firmware. (not sure maybe check to try).
Maybe you can update your firmware to try or check with WD.
WD Velociraptor Raid problem links:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1452275
2. Maybe you may as well change the power supply to check?
3. If you remove Asus Sonar sound card and used onboard to check?
(This can isolate if sound card problem).
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273841-28-asus-xonar-please-plug-audio-device
4. Also check your memory if two dimms install only?
5. Try to update your chipset driver from GBT website:
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#dl

1)No RAID should I sitll try updating firmware?
2) I have 3 PSUs laying around but they dont have 2 x 6 pin connectors for my video card.
3)I can try running onboard sound to test, but I highly doubt its that.
4) Havent tried only 2 DIMMs yet, but the problem is so random that I dont know when its gonna happen, sometimes It happens after days.
5) I update chipset drivers with latest cats.

1. If you did not create Raid , maybe it was not necessary.
If I where you I use the latest firmware or check with WD so I can work on my drive without any doubt.
2. Maybe if you have other PSU just try.
3. Please let us know the result of your testing using onboard sound.
Or try other sound card to check.
4. It OK, maybe check it later after confirm above is OK.
5. Please do also try to update your motherboard bios to F7c. http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#bios

Do a fresh windows install, sounds like your OS got tweaked somehow. timing not right for a PSU problem, or RAM for that matter.

Do a fresh windows install, sounds like your OS got tweaked somehow. timing not right for a PSU problem, or RAM for that matter.

Everytime I do a fresh windows Instlal the problem seems to go away but come back after a few weeks. I dont want to format again.......

I put back in my sound card, I cant stand onboard sound. Cant play BF3 without it. Am running with only 2 DIMMS though.

Well I just frooze with 2 dimms.
Am trying the other 2 now to see if it still happens.
Just sucks that the freeze happens like every 2 or 3 days.

Definitely sounds like a ram issue to me I would try swapping it if it is not too costly for you. Try one dimm at first then add on after that i have run into this before

Do you have any other sound card to check?
--> uninstall previous Asus sonar driver and then restart your system.
Try to update your sound card Asus Sonar or firmware to check?

Just a putting this out there there but hows the airflow in your case? I have seen systems freeze from the NB getting to hot on more than one occasion. Manufacturers don't always use the best coolers on them. Try directing a fan on the NB and see what happens.

Well I guess RAM is ruled out, I just frooze with other 2 dimms.
Im getting like a white greyish screen and sound loops and everything else freezes.

windows 7?
Yes I run windows 7

Do you have any other sound card to check?
--> uninstall previous Asus sonar driver and then restart your system.
Try to update your sound card Asus Sonar or firmware to check?
I have onboard sound but not gonna run with that I cant stand it. Ill check for newer Asus drivers and firmware.
Just a putting this out there there but hows the airflow in your case? I have seen systems freeze from the NB getting to hot on more than one occasion. Manufacturers don't always use the best coolers on them. Try directing a fan on the NB and see what happens.
I doubt it thats, something I noticed when the crash happens CPU usage is always at 16%, im starting to think its something software wise.

tried updating the mobo bios?

Its been happening with last 3 or 4 bios I updated too.

You said a white grayish screen, right?

Thats the videocard crashing.
It was an (in)famous problem with the 5800-5900 series cards. Basically, if ANYTHING in the system were even slightly unstable, you would get a GSOD (gray screen of death) caused by the card crashing.

Did you put EVERYTHING (CPU, RAM (yes, RAM) and videocard all back to pure stock settings before testing?

If you did, then you will need to RMA BOTH the videocard AND Ram.

I dont know if there is an incompatibility between your motherboard and the video card. It *IS* the videocard causing it, though.

You said a white grayish screen, right?

Thats the videocard crashing.
It was an (in)famous problem with the 5800-5900 series cards. Basically, if ANYTHING in the system were even slightly unstable, you would get a GSOD (gray screen of death) caused by the card crashing.

Did you put EVERYTHING (CPU, RAM (yes, RAM) and videocard all back to pure stock settings before testing?

If you did, then you will need to RMA BOTH the videocard AND Ram.

I dont know if there is an incompatibility between your motherboard and the video card. It *IS* the videocard causing it, though.

Ohh boy, that was my initial assumption. That it was video card.
Thing is, this card has already been RMAed.
Btw you say I need to RMA ram as well? Why whats wrong with RAM?
Ohh well will call Diamond tomorrow about an RMA.

Open the Event Viewer, and tell us what error you got as last, after the freeze?

Open the Event Viewer, and tell us what error you got as last, after the freeze?

Nothing showed up in event viewer.
I think it may have been the infamous grey screen bug. New bios so far no freezes, Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bf3.exe
Application Version: 1.3.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4fa421a5
Fault Module Name: atidxx32.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.17.10.451
Fault Module Timestamp: 5008be70
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0032c8d8
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Hmm well I think flashing bios solved grey screen issues, I havent locked up since.
Just getting a few crashes in bf3 thats all. Trying to pinpoint the cause of that.

after about a month my velociraptor causes a system hang. I think the drive may be failing. I have it as a third HD for recording Fraps videos and such. I have to use chldsk /r to fix it and it's fine for a while. Not know if it is related but worth a shot.

Back