Radio recording in ESXi - Sound issue

praetorian

Weaksauce
Hi guys,

I've setup my ESXi lab, with a Win7 VM, running Total Recording to record internet radio streams for personal consumption but i'm having an issue with getting this working reliably.

I haven't got a dedicated PCI card running on the system at the moment, well not until I convert to mATX; however, I can get the sound recording whilst I have an open RDP session running but when this is closed, as some of the streams are at 1/2am UK time, I get errors in the logs stating that sound couldn't be established.

I have a feeling its cause the VM is using my local hardware, rather than its own, to capture the sound recordings. If I add a dedicated sound card and then pass it through does anybody know if that will solve the issue? I'm buying a cheap Soundblaster from eBay so not a massive outlay but it may be slightly futile :(

My only option would be to either a) convert to another Hypervisor (Type 1) or b) move to a Type 2 Hypervisor which would be kind of going against the solution that I've built :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated

or maybe a USB audio device?
Maybe try disconnecting, instead of closing the RDP session?

Hi DB,

I've tried the disconnecting rather than closing the session completely; however, that didn't make any kind of difference unfortunately :( That was my first thought .. great minds :)

I'm going to try with a USB device, if I can find one that is compatible and cheap, otherwise I'll try a PCI pass through :)

One way to test if its going to work at all, is to have the console open. If you can get sound in the console in vSphere, then you should be good when you disconnect from RDP. I can't remember how I did it in the past, but I would think it would be possible. I'll do some investigating and see what I can find out.

Back