Radiator fans reccomendations?

Atara

Limp Gawd
I've searched a bit on this topic and it's a bit overwhelming, I've looked at a couple of the 30+fan roundups and can't come to a decision. I've currently got some gentletyphoon 1450rpm fans that I was planning on reusing for my radiator (Swiftech MCR220-QP). But now I'm looking for some higher cfm fans with good static pressure that I can turn down when I want them quiet. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've searched a bit on this topic and it's a bit overwhelming, I've looked at a couple of the 30+fan roundups and can't come to a decision. I've currently got some gentletyphoon 1450rpm fans that I was planning on reusing for my radiator (Swiftech MCR220-QP). But now I'm looking for some higher cfm fans with good static pressure that I can turn down when I want them quiet. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My swiftech kit came with some high cfm delta fans that have treated me well and undervolt pretty well. But I'm planning on adding another mcr220 this weekend and i'm going to replace the 2 deltas with GT 1850's and if they are too loud to slow em down via fan controller. I got 4 of em used off the FS forum for a pretty good price compared to how much they cost new. My thoughts are buy higher speed fans and if they're too loud, slow em with a fan controller. Also gives you the flexibility to run em faster at a lan or something if needed.

Yeah that's what I want to do (buy higher cfm fans and control voltage) but I'm not sure what fans to purchase.

Yeah that's what I want to do (buy higher cfm fans and control voltage) but I'm not sure what fans to purchase.

You can use GT1850s and undervolt them or just reuse your GT1450s.

Delta = High CFM = LOUD.

If you're happy with your current GentleTyphoons, and just want some higher CFM, then I'd say go with the higher 1850RPM versions, and undervolt them when you want silence. Either that maybe yate loon D12SM-12 medium speeds, or panaflo 120x38 1700RPM.

The Gentle Typhoons are great fans.

I have 6 1850 rpms on 2 MCR320-QPs. I can turn 2 fans off and turn the other 4 down to around 1000RPM and my Core I5 750 peaks out around 55C under OCCT at 4.0 Ghz.

I also have a GTX295 on the same loop, but it was at idle during that test.

If you can go with 38mm fans, then either Panaflo or Sanyo Denki (San Ace).

plus one for GT's 1850rpms. have 4 of these in push pull and they work great

Are those 25mm or 38mm thick fans? Thicker fans have more static pressure which can make a huge difference in there cooling ability on a radiator.

rall9x makes a very good point and I agree completely.

Anytime someone mentions wanting a more powerful fan I have to recommend looking at 38mm thick ones. The larger blades and usually a motor with more windings are a significant improvement in the ability to provide static pressure at the same rpms compared to a 25 mm thick fan. This usually means that at the same RPM and about the same noise level a 38mm will deliver more CFM and do it even with rad with close/tight fin spacing. Of course you have to look at mounting etc as that extra 1/2 inch of fan thickness can be an issue but its like having a V8 under the hood instead of a V6.

Also (IMO) but going a litte bit out on a limb, in general the 38mm fans are higher quality units.

Comparing my San Ace H1011 fans to GT 1850's, I'd say the GT's actually perform better for the amount of noise they produce.

Of course if I wanted to turn it up, there is no comparison: The H1011's really BLOW! - and they do it better than any other 120mm fan I've tried.

My other favorites:

Yate Loon: Multiple versions are good.
Zalman ZM-F3: although may not provide enough airflow

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/724577-well-dressed-megahalems-65-fans-112-a.html - here's ehume's massive test on the megahalems, which presents some restriction. Note the performance of the Yate Loon fans, and the Coolermaster fans.

Scythe GT and Sanyo Denki are performing the best, however. I'm not sure how the Sanyo low noise does undervolted, but the GT 1850 seems to hit a sweetspot at 9-10v, so the results would be even better than recorded there (GT 1850 at 1450 RPM = less noise than GT 1450; on average).

I have an Ultra Kaze 3000 on my H50 running about 2000rpms. Its still pretty loud, but it pushes a ton of air.

Back