Radian RMS-200/RMS-300 vs Intel OPTANE 905p for ZFS SLOG

bao__zhe

Weaksauce
Hi all,
I recently come across these devices called Radian RMS-200 and Radian RMS-300. Looking at the description and spec, it seems to be a "spiritual successor" to Zeus RAM and a perfect fit for a ZFS SLOG device. However Radian does not specify the latency of it.

On the other hand I already have a Intel OPTANE SSD 905p 480GB U.2 form factor used as both SLOG and L2ARC. Intel specifies the write latency to be <11μs.

As such, my question is: shall I get a RMS-200/RMS-300 to be used as SLOG and leave my 905p just for L2ARC, or there is no (measurable) improvement in doing so? And if the Radian devices worth it, which one is the better choice for ZFS SLOG purpose?

Thanks!

P.S. before anyone asks, I do need a separate SLOG device for my ZFS ZIL.

Intel Optane is the fastest NVMe with around 500k write iops, only RAM is faster and the RMS 300 is build on RAM. Latency is nothing to concern with RAM. Random write iops is an indicator of latency. As the RMS has more than twice the iops, I would expect latency to be less than halve of the Optane (if you can trust the specs).

The real question is propably not if it is faster than Optane but how much and is this worth the money. For production use powerloss protection is also an item for Slog. While you can expect a very good behaviour, Intel guarantees plp only on the datacenter Optane DC 48xx.

Ah thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know, and PLP is something I missed to consider. The cost is ~$150 on eBay so acceptable.

Just wondering has anyone used it for ZFS SLOG? It seems too good to be true...ending my decade long effort of finding the perfect (and cheap) ZFS SLOG device @_@

Back