Radeons and Multiple monitors... any known issues?

Evil Scooter

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm thinking of migrating to a single 6800XT when available.

I've been running a pair of 1080ti's in SLI to push 3 Omen 32" Freesync monitors for a bit now.

It's been a challenge to keep it running at times and nearly every reboot the taskbar shows up in a different location despite being locked.

A driver update will typically cause me 30minutes or so getting SLI and the screen spanning to work properly and the focus back on the center display.

Anyone running multiple displays on team RED's hardware able to share known issues?

I can only speak to using dual monitors on a daily basis but I haven't had any issues at all. Once i set my main monitor and told it to extend, it just works. I even unplug and replug my monitors constantly while running due to having a work laptop that I someone's like to see on my main screen or screens. I can unplug either or both and hook them back in any order without incident. I have done this on everything I've used in this box r9 fury nano, 280x, rx 560, rx 470, and an rx 580. My son uses a Vega 64 with duals and never has issues except some weird sleep issues with windows/and. But while running no problems. I don't have anything newer, but I have had 3 displays plugged in without issue but that's not my normal use. I can't speak to the 5x00xt series so hopefully you'll get some more comments.

I'm thinking of migrating to a single 6800XT when available.

I've been running a pair of 1080ti's in SLI to push 3 Omen 32" Freesync monitors for a bit now.

It's been a challenge to keep it running at times and nearly every reboot the taskbar shows up in a different location despite being locked.

A driver update will typically cause me 30minutes or so getting SLI and the screen spanning to work properly and the focus back on the center display.

Anyone running multiple displays on team RED's hardware able to share known issues?

A lot of your issues come down to using SLI. Multiple monitors are less problematic on systems with a single graphics card.

Had a shitload of problems with my multi monitor setup using Vega 64 as recent as March of this year

I have a very specific issue with my 5700, but have found a workaround. If I am mining on the card and switch inputs on the main monitor over to my work computer its fine, but as soon as I switch back the driver crashes and I have to wait a while to get my screen back. There are 2 work arounds. 1) Don't mine crypto coins... 2) Lock my personal computer before I switch inputs on the monitor. This makes me think it's more of a windows bug than a driver issue. As long as the computer is locked I can switch back and forth throughout the day with no problems.
Other than that I've had zero issues with my multiple monitor setup.

A lot of your issues come down to using SLI. Multiple monitors are less problematic on systems with a single graphics card.

Quite possibly right... hoping a single card will do the trick.

Think the last team red cards I had in my system was a pair of 7970's.

Memory clocks go to max clocks on most radeon cards without HBM with multimonitor setups.

^^ First I've heard of the memory issue, my desktop resolution is 7680x1440-60hz.

I can't recall any issues with AMD and multiple monitors with or without CFX or two cards. Had 1440p 144hz HDR combined with a 3440x1440p non HDR at 60hz monitor setup with 5700XT -> no issues

Currently have two monitors on 2x 1080Ti, 1 4K 10bit 60hz FreeSync and the second is the 1440p 144hz HDR Freesync. Previously I had a number of issues with Nvidia with two monitors, desktop Icons moving to the wrong monitor, task bar, one monitor going black etc. Currently zero issues with this setup including being in SLI with Nvidia including having HDR on one monitor, different frequency, FreeSync etc. Now the 4K monitor GSync and the 1080Ti does not work well together, the 144hz monitor and GSync is working well.

Having different resolutions (non-native) on the monitors/displays can really mess everything up - things will be moved - displayed wrong - or not at all. Make sure you have your displays at native for starters and work out from there. Once I realized this, I was able to set up monitors, tv's extra screens fairly straight forward.

Having different resolutions (non-native) on the monitors/displays can really mess everything up - things will be moved - displayed wrong - or not at all. Make sure you have your displays at native for starters and work out from there. Once I realized this, I was able to set up monitors, tv's extra screens fairly straight forward.
I use to have that issue, not so now with Nvidia. Not sure who is better at this time, AMD or Nvidia both seems to work as expected. My AMD card is on a single monitor at this time so do not know with the last several drivers if things have changed.

Back