Radeon X1950 Pro- Below $300's GPU

zim01

Gawd
From Extremetech

"As a single card, the X1950 Pro is a real winner. It's a single slot card with plenty of DX9 shading power and performance, easily besting the GeForce 7900 GS in practically all our benchmarks—typically by 15% to 25%. If you're only interested in buying a single $200 graphics card, the X1950 Pro is the way to go. Note also, that it will support the GPU-accelerated Folding@Home <http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html>project

Now what's your excuse? :)

molson3530 said:
No PCI Express :(
Otherwise, I would be all over that.

Overview GPU Specifications

Radeon® X1950 Graphics Technology - GPU Specifications
Features
36 pixel shader processors
8 vertex shader processors
Up to 256-bit 8 channel GDDR3 memory interface
Native PCI Express® x16 bus interface
Plug-and-play (native) CrossFire™

When you get, let me know how it goes :)

zim01 said:
Overview GPU Specifications

Radeon® X1950 Graphics Technology - GPU Specifications
Features
36 pixel shader processors
8 vertex shader processors
Up to 256-bit 8 channel GDDR3 memory interface
Native PCI Express® x16 bus interface
Plug-and-play (native) CrossFire™

When you get, let me know how it goes :)

Pretty sure he means that he has no PCI Express bus slots on his mobo :confused:

Hmm... guess I know which video card I'm gonna be using when I build my core 2 system.

The only question I had about the card was whether it supported GPU folding, this answers that :p

Also I think you mean "oops" ;)

the black knight always triumphs!

rogue_jedi said:
Hmm... guess I know which video card I'm gonna be using when I build my core 2 system.

The only question I had about the card was whether it supported GPU folding, this answers that :p

Also I think you mean "oops" ;)

yea sorry thinking opps= Obstinate particular person sucks
like word games, first letter m, wear's a dress, & loves Moosie

It's the first 80nm process GPU (funny how cpus go from 90 to 65, but it takes forever, and GPUs move down in process size in smaller increments but more often).. This is kind of exciting as it means lower power draw (they're saying ~75Watts) and less heat (hardocp's review pegs the heat as being lower than the competing card in their review, and credits it to the new manufacturing process.)

Now to assemble my GPU folding farm... >.> if only I had the cash.

Who knows the skinny on the next generation GPU's? R600 deals.

Price/preformance/memory/clock speeds/# of shaders etc.

kaleb_zero said:
It's the first 80nm process GPU (funny how cpus go from 90 to 65, but it takes forever, and GPUs move down in process size in smaller increments but more often).. This is kind of exciting as it means lower power draw (they're saying ~75Watts) and less heat (hardocp's review pegs the heat as being lower than the competing card in their review, and credits it to the new manufacturing process.)

Now to assemble my GPU folding farm... >.> if only I had the cash.

CPU's are manufactured by Intel and AMD. It takes longer to design a CPU then a GPU also, so it is in their best interest to change manufacturing processes less often, and have bigger jumps.

With GPU's they dont actually manufacture. So they rely on third parties getting their manufacturing processes down. That is one of the dictating factors in how small a process they can use. And it is one of the reasons why they are going to smaller intermediary processes more often.

Any guesses on the PPD the 1950pro will produce?

is this better than an X1900XT ?

someone is offering me a new in box X1900XT for $250 is this an ok deal?

I dont know !@$% about the ATi world :(

The ATI Radeon X1950 Pro sits at the $199 USD price level-- from the front page...

According to bit-tech's review, the x1900xt is better. However it is supposed to cost $100 more at MSRP than the x1950pro, I think... plus the x1950pro does crossfire better.

For folding though I'm not sure.

the black knight always triumphs!

FLECOM said:
is this better than an X1900XT ?

someone is offering me a new in box X1900XT for $250 is this an ok deal?

I dont know !@$% about the ATi world :(

NO GO BUY IT ASAP

sounds like a suped up 1900 GT as someone said before I think.

36 shaders hurts a bunch.
Improved cooling I think on the 1950 series, no hair drier deal

for 200 bucks, It's all a price point game. For someone looking for a cheap upgrade gaming card coming from nothing (me) not a bad deal.

I'm like Flecom, I know nothing about ATI cards anymore. Anyone want to give a quick rundown or post a link explaining the nomenclature? As I understand it only cards labeled with a 1900 will fold, correct? Or is it only certain 1900 cards? Also, for those of us who game a little too how about a comparison to nvidia cards, or which ATI = which nvidia? Or should I just look at the price points since this isn't the video card forum? :)

Currently only ATI 1900/1950 cards supported for FAH

1900 GT= 36 shaders = lowest preformance = cheapest (200-250 bucks I think)

1900 XT/XTX 256/512 cards : 48 shaders = fastest preformance. XTX = higher clock speeds. Generally, correct if wrong, you want a 512 meg RAM card. 300-400 bucks. Cooling might be loud.

1950 XTX = 48 shaders = GDDR4 RAM (moot for FAH I think, can't hurt) faster RAM = improved cooling = 400 bucks

I made all that up.

btw these new cards are nice with native crossfire. No need to have Master or Crossfire card just buy two of the same type.

There will be another video card being announced later this month at a lower price point that also supports Native CrossFire.

huh, something cheaper coming!

Despite the lower shade performance (36 compard to 48 for X1900 and other higher cards) I do like the price and the power performance (first 80nm card). It's shaving 48 watts at peak off the X1900XT 256MB numbers. My guess is it's the best PPDPW GPU out there.

Ohh well, just went and Moosed myself... Fricken broke ass I am.... :( :(

VGA SAPPHIRE 100176L X1950PRO R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$199.99)

Extended Warranty Fee: $0
Subtotal: $199.99
TAX: $0
Shipping and Handling Charge**: $11.71
Total: $211.70

:D

The other VERY interesting thing about these cards is that there will be an AGP version!

Certainly something to consider for those older boxen. Talk about a PPD upgrade. ;)

Linkage

Back