Radeon VII prices...

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I have a Radeon VII that I haven't used much and am going to sell it. I just jumped onto eBay, to see how I should price it, and am shocked by what they're selling for, especially cards that don't work. In the last few days, there have been a number of "for parts or not working" that have finished bidding in the $470-$550 range. I can't figure out why folks are buying them in this condition, when you can get a working one for around $550 - $600.

I'm also shocked, and glad, my card has held its value as much as it has.

In most tasks the much cheaper 5700 XT seems to provide a much better value, so I'm not sure why they have held their value a well as they appear to have done on eBay. Perhaps due to rarity? I know that in compute-heavy applications they can edge out the 5700 XT.

In most tasks the much cheaper 5700 XT seems to provide a much better value, so I'm not sure why they have held their value a well as they appear to have done on eBay. Perhaps due to rarity? I know that in compute-heavy applications they can edge out the 5700 XT.
Frame buffer and compute mostly, they're video editing beasts. I'd love one.

The radeon vii puts most other cards to shame, depending on the task load. For gaming? No idea.

The VII is still 5-10% faster in games than 5700 xt, even when overclocking is taken into account. This is especially true at higher resolution and IQ where the mem bandwidth and VRAM capacity is more important.

The marginally faster gaming performance coupled with the suberb compute capabilities have kept the cards resale value strong.

I was using one for a while before moving to a 2080 Super, and in my view, the gaming experience is about the same. The VII was actually much more stable in some games with texture mods.

Is the AMD Radeon VII, the best GPU from AMD, for gaming at 4k, at the moment ?

I have a Radeon VII that I haven't used much and am going to sell it. I just jumped onto eBay, to see how I should price it, and am shocked by what they're selling for, especially cards that don't work. In the last few days, there have been a number of "for parts or not working" that have finished bidding in the $470-$550 range. I can't figure out why folks are buying them in this condition, when you can get a working one for around $550 - $600.

I'm also shocked, and glad, my card has held its value as much as it has.
I've never understood this either. I buy a lot more dead graphics cards than I imagine most people do, and I even have the ability to repair them (sometimes), and I've never understood why the prices on ebay are so high. Like... who's buying them? What are they doing with them?

From experience, compared to a 2080, the Radeon VII is a hair slower at 1440p and under. It's on par with the 2080 in most situations at 4k. However, in games at 4k with high vram usage, it keeps stable FPS while all 8gb cards will be all over the place.

It really can't keep up with a 2080ti at any resolution/setting in the majority of games.

In the end, the Radeon VII is still the best choice if a) you're playing at 4k, and b) you don't want to spend $1000. This, couple with it's compute prowess is why prices for the VII have remained high.

Thank you
Right now I have the RTX 2080 ti, I do play 95 % flight simulators at 4k.
Main reason I'd go for AMD? Try not to laugh :
dithering.
I have some color banding, and I can't find a way to fix this
It's pretty annoying especially when I fly very close to the clouds
Last year I purchased the AMD Radeon VII and I didn't really give it a good test
Sent it back because of the poor performance
I did fly X-Plane 11 at that time ( now, too ) but meanwhile, X-Plane 11 updated to Vulkan and a lot of users, even the developers, encourage to buy AMD cards
Second flight simulator I play is DCS World
And 2, 3 others but the next one, which comes later this year, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 would be the greatest, and I have absolutely no idea about which GPU would be the best choice : AMD or nVidia
When I tested the AMD Radeon VII, last year, with X-Plane 11, I was a bit disappointed about the performance but I was really surprised that the color banding disappeared 90 %
The clouds and skies were looking amazing
That's the reason why I asked about AMD
I own right now, 4 different 4k TV's
1 Samsung Q9FN 55 inches - amazing TV. Maybe the best Samsung TV, in the history of the TV's :)
1 Samsung Q90R 55 inches - amazing TV, as well. Very hard to compare it with Q9FN
1 Samsung JS 9090 55 inches - older model but it's not bad
and the TV in the living room, Panasonic 75 inches,I'm not sure about the model - didn't really use it as PC monitor. Just some short testing
It's hard to believe, all of them has color banding
I even tried with more than 10 different nVidia drivers
No go.
I also tried with :
1 RTX Asus Strix 2080 Ti
1 RTX MSI Trio 2080 Ti
1 GTX Gigabyte 1080 Ti
1 GTX Gigabyte 980 Ti
Changed 4-5 different HDMI 2.0 cables
Installed Windows 10, fresh
Played with many different settings in nVidia control panel, TV settings.
Hundreds of different types of settings
Couldn't find a solution
I was even thinking about installing Windows 7 on the Z390 chipset. It's possible but it requires a lot time, PS 2 mouse and keyboard for the installation, PCI e card with PS2, etc
Thank you, I'll keep searching for the best solution
After all this, I came to the conclusion that the main culprit for the color banding, is the nVidia software

Last edited:
I looked up VII prices and was just shocked at how many were "parts not working". That put me off.

VIIs are also the best Eth crypto GPU miners by a mile, as well.

Wow! I sold my card a few days after posting this, for $500 locally. I had it up for $600, dropped it to $550, and finally someone offered $500. Looking now on ebay, it's like prices have jumped up $100+. They're selling for $600-$700, used. Oh well, at least I didn't have to deal with ebay fees, shipping, and a potential buyer that had an "issue" with my card.

Wow! I sold my card a few days after posting this, for $500 locally. I had it up for $600, dropped it to $550, and finally someone offered $500. Looking now on ebay, it's like prices have jumped up $100+. They're selling for $600-$700, used. Oh well, at least I didn't have to deal with ebay fees, shipping, and a potential buyer that had an "issue" with my card.
I'd take $500 in hand over 10% ebay/paypal fees & chance of being scammed in a heartbeat. You did good.

I just sold mine to a user here for $500 shipped. I saw they were going for $700 but I’d leave rot in my basement before using ebay for the reasons you mentioned.

Thank you
Right now I have the RTX 2080 ti, I do play 95 % flight simulators at 4k.
Main reason I'd go for AMD? Try not to laugh :
dithering.
I have some color banding, and I can't find a way to fix this
It's pretty annoying especially when I fly very close to the clouds
Last year I purchased the AMD Radeon VII and I didn't really give it a good test
Sent it back because of the poor performance
I did fly X-Plane 11 at that time ( now, too ) but meanwhile, X-Plane 11 updated to Vulkan and a lot of users, even the developers, encourage to buy AMD cards
Second flight simulator I play is DCS World
And 2, 3 others but the next one, which comes later this year, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 would be the greatest, and I have absolutely no idea about which GPU would be the best choice : AMD or nVidia
When I tested the AMD Radeon VII, last year, with X-Plane 11, I was a bit disappointed about the performance but I was really surprised that the color banding disappeared 90 %
The clouds and skies were looking amazing
That's the reason why I asked about AMD
I own right now, 4 different 4k TV's
1 Samsung Q9FN 55 inches - amazing TV. Maybe the best Samsung TV, in the history of the TV's :)
1 Samsung Q90R 55 inches - amazing TV, as well. Very hard to compare it with Q9FN
1 Samsung JS 9090 55 inches - older model but it's not bad
and the TV in the living room, Panasonic 75 inches,I'm not sure about the model - didn't really use it as PC monitor. Just some short testing
It's hard to believe, all of them has color banding
I even tried with more than 10 different nVidia drivers
No go.
I also tried with :
1 RTX Asus Strix 2080 Ti
1 RTX MSI Trio 2080 Ti
1 GTX Gigabyte 1080 Ti
1 GTX Gigabyte 980 Ti
Changed 4-5 different HDMI 2.0 cables
Installed Windows 10, fresh
Played with many different settings in nVidia control panel, TV settings.
Hundreds of different types of settings
Couldn't find a solution
I was even thinking about installing Windows 7 on the Z390 chipset. It's possible but it requires a lot time, PS 2 mouse and keyboard for the installation, PCI e card with PS2, etc
Thank you, I'll keep searching for the best solution
After all this, I came to the conclusion that the main culprit for the color banding, is the nVidia software
The problem is you have no control over how the sim is coded, one cannot use a vidoegame as a calibration reference. Your visual fidelity is only as a good as the source. I recommend getting a colorimeter such as a Spyder and calibrate your monitor. Second the quality of 4K and 8K varies depending on source. Use my link to the video below to look for banding, the Red system is well over 100K with the lenses.

I never use a video-game as a calibration reference
I'd buy a good calibrator, but I'm not sure if it's recommended for a TV as pc monitor.
If I have one, and I calibrate it, all the nVidia Control panel options ( gama, contrast and brightness ) are disabled, right ?
The calibrator creates a ICC color profile ?
I'll watch your video, thanks

The problem is you have no control over how the sim is coded, one cannot use a vidoegame as a calibration reference. Your visual fidelity is only as a good as the source. I recommend getting a colorimeter such as a Spyder and calibrate your monitor. Second the quality of 4K and 8K varies depending on source. Use my link to the video below to look for banding, the Red system is well over 100K with the lenses.

I've had dithering issues with 1080 Ti's when using HDR. They would do 8bit + dithering vice HDR 10 or 10 bit. It was very noticeable, noisy in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider. What was weird was if the monitor was set to the monitor 144hz refresh rate it would use 10bit. Any other refresh rate vice the default refresh rate, the driver would enforce a dithering mode. This was before adaptive sycn was supported by Nvidia and I was using adaptive Vsync and was trying to lower the refresh rate to match up to the capability of the 1080 Ti's, mGPU. It seemed when it was using the right 10bit mode, performance was lower then with the dithering modes, if this is due to any limitations to how Nvidia does color or any other type of compression I do not know. In any case it was very noticeable to point where it did make a difference. Ended up getting the 5700 XT due to support for Freesync 2 is better and putting a 4K on the the SLI rig. The 1080 Ti's will probably end up on a TR build in progress and I will be able to test this out with the newer drivers. As a note, Vega's never had a banding/dithering mode enforced and has always looked better color wise over Nvidia (maybe just a default driver setting better suited for me).

Last edited:
I looked up VII prices and was just shocked at how many were "parts not working". That put me off.
do you imply they have a high failure rate or perhaps people sells as non working and they sell them as high as MSRP?

do you imply they have a high failure rate or perhaps people sells as non working and they sell them as high as MSRP?

I guess I'm implying that there seemed to be a lot more bust Radeon VII available than those that were working. 'Spares and Repairs' is a must have tag when selling a Radeon VII it seems.

Caveat Emptor!

Back