Radeon VII Owner's Club!

Just got my ASRock Radeon VII delivered. Installed it immediately! Interesting to see it is a fair bit smaller than my Asus Strix Vega 64.
20190221_131054.jpg

Have not messed with it much, but some quick OC tests have shown that at least with Timespy Extreme, it is 8% faster with OC over stock Radeon VII clocks and 28% faster than my Vega 64 when it was OC'd. OC settings used: 1950 core @ 1.1v, 1100 HBM and modified fan curve (50% fan at 75C - 65% at 95C), stock power limit. I cannot say if these settings are stable or not, will need more time.

20190221_131508.jpg

Last edited:
Looks at this overclocking nightmare! Think I pushed her too far...

View attachment 143367
This isn't Holiday Inn.
Congratulations!

Would you (or anyone!) mind measuring both cards and telling me their length?
I can find four different lengths and nothing on AMD.com, so I'd rather trust someone around here to give me an accurate measurement!

Thanks.
I know Newegg listings show the length and height. Hopefully accurately.

I just measured mine. It's 10.5 inches.

I'm using a XFX Radeon VII card, not sure if the different brands are different sizes.

You think this is a safe overclock?

upload_2019-2-22_2-7-17.png

Needless to say the game crashed, not sure how it got clocked that high.

Still trying to tweak the overclock, but I think there is a lot of room here and I'm seeing over 10% improvement but I need to get it stable.

Current settings I took from a guy on Reddit: 2000 core @ 1088 voltage, memory at 1200. Then I added a fan curve for 100% at 75C and power limit 10%.

I'm also using memory timing 2 (I believe this helps but I'm not 100% sure what it does).

So far the games that have worked are Far Cry 5 (Ultra 4K HDR), Deus Ex (Very High 4K) and Crackdown 3 (Custom Ultra/High 4K HDR).

Granted, have only tested for about 2 hours but things are looking positive. I'll have to put in some more time to see if it will last.

I do not think that my example is the best overclocker. I can bench at 2000Mhz, but it is not very stable unless I start to pump it with 1.2v. But after some fiddling and gaming last night and I think I am going to settle at 1901Mhz @ 1030mv on the GPU and 1200 HBM for now and see if I have any issues (So far none). Faster than stock, runs pretty quiet and cool.

V106 bios out now for Radeon VII. Seems to have changed some things on the memory side. Not sure what exactly.

On the plus side my Powercolor Radeon 7 is running a nice 1950 core and 1200 hbm at 1022mv.

Pt. 2 will have the benches and thermals.

Pro tip: Do not use IC Diamond Graphite thermal pads with the Radeon VII.

The reason you don't use the IC Diamond pad is that it is a solid graphite pad so there really is almost no "give" to it. It is incredibly inflexible so for something like the GPU vs HBM stack having varying heights, your contact will be absolutely horrendous. The Hitachi HM03 pad is actually listed as a phase change type pad so it probably uses a polymer material (that sticky blackish stuff you saw on the [H] review). It is actually an ideal material for this because it softens and expands when heated and then contracts back into it's original shape when cooled. So naturally it can fill the area/push out the air when there is uneven contact. It is neat stuff.

http://www.hitachi-chem.co.jp/english/products/cc/026.html

I've actually suggested this for work because of a similar uneven mount cooling issue we have and I hope we can get some in house in a few weeks.

V106 bios out now for Radeon VII. Seems to have changed some things on the memory side. Not sure what exactly.
Thanks for the heads up. I just installed it and it didn't seem to break anything. But according to TPU, it only adds UEFI support, no performance enhancements.
https://www.techpowerup.com/252493/...radeon-vii-company-promises-one-click-updater

On the plus side my Powercolor Radeon 7 is running a nice 1950 core and 1200 hbm at 1022mv.
Yeah, this thing overclocks really well and was lots of fun messing with the numbers. Currently I'm on 2000 core and 1200 mem. Seems stable, but I only got to those settings about 2 hours ago so not a lot of testing.

Thanks for the heads up. I just installed it and it didn't seem to break anything. But according to TPU, it only adds UEFI support, no performance enhancements.
https://www.techpowerup.com/252493/...radeon-vii-company-promises-one-click-updater

Yeah, this thing overclocks really well and was lots of fun messing with the numbers. Currently I'm on 2000 core and 1200 mem. Seems stable, but I only got to those settings about 2 hours ago so not a lot of testing.

V105 added UEFI support. This one did something else as referenced at overclock.net.

I called it hitting 2GHz+ on water, but to do it on air is quite nice..I'd love to see yours under water. At 2-2.1Ghz with @ nice HBM oc we should be closing the gap on the 2080ti, especially if we continue to get the driver boosts we did with Vega it's first year.

If only these cards had DSBR and primitive shaders like we were promised with Vega...Nvidia would be the one scrambling to catch up.

BIOS update worked for me. It's just a console window that opens and closes, are you seeing any error?
Saw the console window open and close. Did NOT see an error.
It seems to be OK now...the BIOS Part number in Radeon Settings is 113- D3600200-106 with a date of 02/11/2019.

I SWEAR when I updated that Radeon settings was still reporting the -105 BIOS rev with the January Build date.

I must, indeed, be incompetent.

Sorry for the bother, but thanks for your help!!!

Anyone seeing the ability to turn crossfire on/off after this update???

Timespy may be using DirectX 12 mGPU, which *is* still supported.

But it's not really Crossfire in the sense that any game can work (developers must support it directly in their engine).

Timespy may be using DirectX 12 mGPU, which *is* still supported.

But it's not really Crossfire in the sense that any game can work (developers must support it directly in their engine).
Yeah I get that, but look at the global settings to the right. There's a crossfire toggle.

Strange. I thought it was not supported.

Maybe try a game like GTA V with and without the Crossfire button and see if it does anything.

Yeah it's really strange. I'll try to get to the bottom of it hopefully after work tomorrow. With it unchecked it only uses 1 GPU in time spy and scores in the 8000s, with the crossfire toggle on it gave that score. 'll see if games maybe recognize it too.

New 19.2.3 driver out now.
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they fixed one issue I encountered with the manual fan profile:

"Fan speeds may remain elevated for longer periods than expected when using Tuning Control Auto Overclock or manual fan curve in Radeon WattMan on AMD Radeon VII."

I'm on default fan right now, but I will check this out to see if it helps.

Well, now that I've had mine for plenty of time and been able to test it out across games, benchmarks, and stress tests, I figured I'd chime in.

Brand: AMD
Default Voltage of 1067 mV
My 24/7 config is 100% Stable undervolted @ 961 mV. using default clock speed
Hottest my card gets under fully loaded stress tests (furmark, heaven on endless loop, etc.) is about 95 degrees at the junction, usually floats around 70 overall under those conditions. Haven't had any issues with it not holding 1801mHz+/- 10
During most games I barely hear it and its on my desk right beside me. Played all the way through Metro Exodus @ Max graphics minus the nVidia proprietary stuff. Didn't have any hangs, stutters, or crashes at all. (I play games @ 2k)
Only times I've had it trip up have been poorly optimized games at maximum settings, but that's more on the game than on the card. So far it has been an excellent experience for 2k gaming.

Was it worth $700? As long I get this same level of performance for the next few years without failure I'd say so.

Anyone want to share the highest junction temp they recorded? I never hit the wall yet. Highest recorded I saw was 107c on Apex Legends with Vsync off running about 150fps. I have yet to see it hit over 110c..

Dang, that is a crazy amount of heat being generated. I start to freak out when my Aorus 1080ti hits mid 80s during an extended gaming session.

That's hotspot temps. Likely the GPU was running in the mid 70s

I bought one of those braces off of ebay, but it was impossible to install.

I mean, I could have done it, but then it would have been to painful to remove (and I like having access to test things).

That PowerColor one looks a lot easier, but honestly it doesn't seem necessary to me. I guess you can never be too safe, though.

Dang, that is a crazy amount of heat being generated. I start to freak out when my Aorus 1080ti hits mid 80s during an extended gaming session.

You're Aurous is almost certainly hitting 110c or above on hotspots. What VII tracks is the average temp or the chip, which rarely goes above 75c peak, and highest hotspot temps.

Back