Radeon VII Owner's Club!

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by ccityinstaller, Feb 19, 2019.

1. cybereality

cybereality [H]ardness Supreme

Correct. I replaced Crossfire Vega 64 with a single Radeon VII and the overall experience is much better.

Crossfire, I assume, was causing some sort of microstutter the whole time. FPS stats looked good (around 90fps) but it still felt choppy and laggy.

With Radeon VII non-Crossfire, the stutter is gone. Not to mention other issues like OpenGL being broken with 2 cards installed, etc. It's not worth it.

deruberhanyok likes this.
  2. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

300B9CA0-5737-489B-9055-66D0ED681076.jpeg A5F43597-77FB-4312-8B7D-84CB0092AB02.jpeg
    6DA4A8E7-CB57-4404-B512-AD8A2AA50F65.jpeg

Not super impressed with the Bykski block. Chinese craftsmanship lives up to the sterotype yet again.

I wrongly assumed Bykski was a Polish company.... EK for me from here on out. But it should work. I hope lol.

Also this card has star screws holding the heatsink on. Damn you AMD.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

It seems with the support in the new API (Vulkan, DX12) it is supported for the game developers to implement their own. And it is no longer just based on alternate frame rendering.
    My experience with Chill has been nothing but great for the few games I play.
    Anthem has loading screens and it just ramps up the frames per second to stupid numbers with Chill just goes to 30 :)

4. Gideon

Gideon 2[H]4U

Not exactly the best micro channels I have seen for water cooling.

Dayaks likes this.
  5. Dayaks

I found the RGB cable sloppy as well. There were also screws protruding. It’s going into my htpc in the basement so no one will ever actually see it but I’d be annoyed if it was going elsewhere. I am not exactly a stickler either. I’ve used a mobo box as a case before....

6. cybereality

Looks pretty nice to me (but I know next to nothing about custom water cooling).

Dayaks likes this.
  7. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Better than nothing I guess. Hope it performs well and doesn't crack or leak.

8. Gideon

Gideon 2[H]4U

Sorry to hear that, but at least people know now. Hopefully it cools better then it looks.

Dayaks likes this.
  9. THUMPer

THUMPer 2[H]4U

*Radeon vanguard open beta tester spots*

In short, I asked the Vanguard community lead if I could post this here and recruit some of the VII users. This is open to all AMD GPU users though. We use Discord, and we usually have weekly driver builds for all products, even mobile. There is a dedicated bug reporting channel, which is moderated by AMD, and is a fantastic resource. PM your email address you used to sign up with your GPU model and I will get the info over to the correct place.

10. Albanu1800

Albanu1800 Limp Gawd

Welcome to the club I guess. I just got home from work and not ready to install yet. I have to wipe Nvida drivers clean from my machine first.

Attached Files:

11. Gulkor

Gulkor [H]ard|Gawd

I've been running 1800 @ 1.02v Boost 1850-1900 Memory 1150. Loving it on my Samsung NU8000 75" with VVR and Freesync, Playing BF1 Maxxed 4k@60hz HDR on, Playing every game maxxed on 4k@60hz, and 1440p 120hz.

I been loving Card, Need sale few thing's then i'm going do WaterCooling, I can't wait, Waiting for Ryzen 3xxx series, or might go Ryzen 2700X / Asus X470 VII board, (cant remember name)

I've been playing

Devil May Cry 5, Metro's, Wot, War Thunder, Anthem , BF5, BF1, Its been very fun gaming for me.

cybereality likes this.
  12. Dayaks

Started long term stress testing with the GPU. Again, the Bykski blocks are the worst I’ve seen, don’t buy them!!! lol

Radeon VII is impressive though...

1B310FB9-17C2-4583-9630-AE6F30DA6D58.png

RAutrey, GHRTW, IdiotInCharge and 2 others like this.
  13. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Looks like an Nvidia OC to me (y) (for the core OC obviously)

14. cybereality

15. Albanu1800

Albanu1800 Limp Gawd

Got it in and installed the latest drivers from AMD website. Gamed a little and was blown away with the difference from a Gtx 750ti. Will spend all day tomorrow testing it out but I did hear those fans ramp up. They dont get louder than my case fans so I don't know what the fuss is with the fan noise bothering people.

Attached Files:

GHRTW, Neapolitan6th and cybereality like this.
  16. cybereality

750 Ti you say? That is a MASSIVE upgrade. Good job.

17. Albanu1800

Albanu1800 Limp Gawd

Thanks

cybereality likes this.
  18. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

Crossfire is supported in these drivers...weird that AMD says it's dead but still in the drivers.

Attached Files:

GHRTW likes this.
  19. Dayaks

Even when it was “supported” the frametimes were shit. Look at the last [H] crossfire review. So if AMD is saying they aren’t putting effort into it I’d stay away. If you need more fps the 2080ti would be a better route than crossfire.

20. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

As an owner of both a SLI rig (Specs below) and a pair of Radeon VIIs, it does depend on the game. However, stuttering has always been an issue when running two or more GPUs. When I play Battlefield 4, the game scales amazingly with a second GPU. BF1 in DX11 mode, same thing. When I get into DX12 mode in BF1, the scaling turns into a pile of shit. I still have to try Shadows of The Tomb Raider as that game has all the advanced features Nvidia stuff (DXR, DLSS, MGPU) I will go ahead and purchase that game to give it a spin to see if ALL the features work together on the Nvidia side. I know that SOTR supports mGPU as well.

GHRTW and deruberhanyok like this.
  21. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Those blocks are terrible which is why I pasased on them. Fucking Aquatuning is playing some BS games. I ordered my block and backplate the DAY they announced and claimed it would ship in 7-11 days. They were quick to charge my CC, and then notify me 4 days later they would not get stock until April 1st. I complained that they basically were using deceptive advertisiting, and asked for a shipping upgrade since I am literrally half a world away (Germany to the PNW of the US!!!). They said they could upgrade the shipping, but did not say if I was going to have to pay the insane price they listed on the website.

I emailed them for clarification, and then got an email back saying they are expecting delivery on Apirl 17th. Just that. Nothing else. So I do not know if that means I will finally have my card they claimed I would have in 8 days by then, or if they are not getting the blocks themselves until then. I swear I just cannot win anymore. Have a mom having open heart surgery as we speak and just had to take my dad to the ER downstairs he was throwing up and then his 02 levels crashed and he was unable to wake up etc. They finally got his sugar levels fixed but 02 is low and they think that the knee he needs a replacement in has a friggin blood clod. So yea.

22. cybereality

Hope your folks do okay.

RAutrey and Dayaks like this.
  23. Dayaks

Oh yeah - pic of the blocks installed. Nothing fancy.

BA7DB75B-EBFA-497B-817C-E8094F26F36E.jpeg

24. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

I'm still running my Twin Frontier's will wait for the 2nd Gen after Navi. Everything runs tip top right now and I have them both on water. I heard EK just made a new waterblock for you guys.

noko likes this.
  25. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Thanks. Mom pulled through and is recovering in ICU. My dad is doing better but still having that O2 drop and they are working on figuring out why. Appreciate the thoughts.

Alphacool emailed me back and said the 17th of April is when they expect the block to be in my hands. Kinda crazy. They completely ignored my question/request about upgrading the shipping on their dime due to the way the marketed the block as being in stock.

I kinda hate it, but I refuse to give EK $170 for a block that should be $120 at most. Copper did not go up 500% in price, and the Acetal (I prefer the no flashy ones) is cheap. They are basically adding the Nvidia tax on to blocks, which is going to make this hobby get to the tilping point for a lot of folks.

GHRTW, deruberhanyok and cybereality like this.
  26. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

There is also the Corsair SF750, a 750W Platinum-rated SFX PSU...

I am hoping Alphacool will come out with a Radeon VII version of this, which I can combine with their DC-LT pumps on both the CPU & GPU, for use in a NCASE M1 chassis...

27. Creepin_D

Creepin_D [H]ard|Gawd

Got my EK block installed last night. So far at stock settings and 1050mv, max gpu temp is 35C, max mem temp is 40C and max junction temp is 60C. Will do some overclocking shortly and report back.

Couple things I noticed while doing the install. When I removed the stock HSF, it appeared to me that the GPU/RAM was making very little contact with the the HSF. Close to 40% of GPU was clean and did not require cleaning.

Also, I have owned many EK GPU blocks, and this was the most difficult to align with mounting holes. Took two attempts and much wiggling to get it right, could be user error or the GPU just thought I would share.

GPU.jpg GPU1.jpg GPU2.jpg GPU3.jpg

28. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

that's pretty normal with the thermal pad on the stock heatsink.. all the reviews i saw it only left a small piece of the thermal pad stuck to the gpu but you could clearly see the imprint of the entire chip in the thermal pad. either way you'll want to go full Verge mode with the thermal paste before putting the block on.

Vader1975 likes this.
  29. STEM

STEM Gawd

Tomorrow my Radeon VII will be delivered, and my new 2970WX, I hope I have time this weekend to put them together. Can't wait :) I hope it's awesome!

30. Gulkor

Gulkor [H]ard|Gawd

I did uograde to Ryzen 2700x, asus rog crosshair VII Hero, i bought 16gb 2x8g ddr 3000.

Next be watercooling for Radeon VII and 2700x,

I noticed my mobo also says VII, its all 7's lol

Maddness, GHRTW, Dayaks and 1 other person like this.
  31. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Well, I just picked one of these up used in the forums to play with. So I guess I'm a member of the club now.

Maddness, cybereality, Gulkor and 2 others like this.
  32. Gulkor

Gulkor [H]ard|Gawd

You'll enjoy card, I was surprised by preformance, once you tweak fan settings, noise not to loud after that

Welcome to club!

kirbyrj and cybereality like this.
  33. cybereality

Awesome! I was impressed going from a Vega 64, so if you have a Vega 56 it should be a nice bump in performance.

kirbyrj likes this.
  34. Gulkor

Gulkor [H]ard|Gawd

I brokedown and bought, Asus Crosshair VII Hero (no-wifi) Amd Ryzen 5 2600, 16gb 2x8g ddr4 3000.

Heres some pics and post rest, When i finish getting everything setup.

Now my last Project Will be Complete water loop.

I haven't done alot of wire management in long time. I did okay on it.

Attached Files:

35. cybereality

36. Gulkor

Gulkor [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks! I had switch corsair aio, hose got to tight for my liking.

37. McClintoc

McClintoc [H]ardForum Junkie

Purchased a Sapphire Radeon VII last night. Currently waiting for it to ship. Probably won't have it until the end of next week. :(

38. Gulkor

Gulkor [H]ard|Gawd

I was burrowing forums and found whole watercooling set for $160!!!! Pump,Res, Rad Ekwb PE 240mm, even got some free tubing, havent hooked it up yet been busy.

Time sell trusty GTX 1080ti FE /w aio, and soild x99, i7 5820k, 16gb

DeeJayBump, THUMPer and cybereality like this.
  39. McClintoc

McClintoc [H]ardForum Junkie

Free shipping didn't take long. It arrived today!

20190412_183046.jpg

Red Falcon, kirbyrj, Maddness and 5 others like this.
  40. cybereality

Awesome! Enjoy.

McClintoc likes this.