Radeon VII: Buy first, read reviews later

I want to be an amd guy. I really do. but ive had my 1080ti for 2 years and this is the first card to compete, but its 2 years later and the same price and performance as my 2 year old card. I really dont understand. I guess I want to be an ATI guy. But that ship sailed.

Just got my order confirmation from AMD. Interesting that Newegg hasn't really put ordering out there yet. I've been stalking their page as well.

Reactions: Curl
like this
Just got my order confirmation from AMD. Interesting that Newegg hasn't really put ordering out there yet. I've been stalking their page as well.
Newegg has listed and sold all of their Radeon 7 cards. You missed it.

Newegg has listed and sold all of their Radeon 7 cards. You missed it.

I saw them listbut never change from notify, except for the ASRock and Sapphrie card which I clicked immediately add to cart and it told me the product was removed from the cart. This is 3 seconds after it went live. I feel like I didn't miss something or a bunch of bots insta-bought things.

I've been on Newegg since 7:30 this morning. So it would have to have been rather instant for me to miss it.

I saw them listbut never change from notify, except for the ASRock and Sapphrie card which I clicked immediately add to cart and it told me the product was removed from the cart. This is 3 seconds after it went live. I feel like I didn't miss something or a bunch of bots insta-bought things.
Had the same issue. I was auto-refreshing the XFX Radeon VII for $599 and never saw it come into stock at that price. But another forum member was able to snag one at that price. Guess it was just the luck of the draw.

Had the same issue. I was auto-refreshing the XFX Radeon VII for $599 and never saw it come into stock at that price. But another forum member was able to snag one at that price. Guess it was just the luck of the draw.

With that the Egg isn't listing them as sold-out like they typically do when something like this happens.

I want to be an amd guy. I really do. but ive had my 1080ti for 2 years and this is the first card to compete, but its 2 years later and the same price and performance as my 2 year old card. I really dont understand. I guess I want to be an ATI guy. But that ship sailed.
Yeah I had all ATI cards and then 2x 6950s but when it came time to upgrade only a used 980ti really fit with what I wanted. I've been waiting through the 1000 series and now the 2000 series for a 980ti replacement and so far have not seen one from AMD so I may just accept my fate and drop the money on a 2080 or 2080ti.

Reviews are flowing. TPU pretty much gave it a T-PU review. Was pretty brutal on the numbers. Did not get any award from them at all.

Well, it is worse than an RTX 2080 by pretty much every possible measure, and for the same price and ~4.5 months later. That's pretty fail in my book.

I'm going to wait until driver issues are fixed and save up more. Also I want to see how these manufacturers put their stamp on these cards everyone of them looks vanilla.

Well, it is worse than an RTX 2080 by pretty much every possible measure, and for the same price and ~4.5 months later. That's pretty fail in my book.

Yeah same thoughts on my end. I really, really wanted this card to be amazing but it is disappointing right now. Apparently the media drivers were a disaster as well. Oof.

It's also worse than a 1080 ti by most measures... 2 years later. It's a big, fat fail.

I had one in my cart and just couldn't do it: I had an epiphany that I was about to spend £649 on a card that performs exactly the same as my current card with worse thermals, sound and overclocking. The only reason I could see someone wanting this is if a) they had a freesync-only monitor (which are few and far between at this point), and/or absolutely needed 16GB VRAM (with someone with running over 8GB that's a slim advantage, but someone with 12GB won't see any difference in games).

Yup, very content to be sticking with my 1080 Ti for now.
I upgrade nearly every generation. But neither the Radeon VII nor the RTX cards have been a worthy upgrade for my 1080 Ti.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I think the 1080TI might go down as one of the best graphics cards of all time. It was a big jump, and held the crown for a long time, and even when supplanted by the 2080TI performance, its usefulness was not lost, or blown away, as the software/game engines haven't caught up yet.

I can play every game out today on max settings at 3440x1440 @ >60 FPS which is a much stiffer requirement than the most common 1080p or 1440p resolutions. The 1080ti is a card that was actually ahead of the software technology. I can't remember a graphics card through history that was so ahead of the software/game engine curve, and two years later there isn't even a dent in it's gaming capability. The idea that this Radeon VII is near 1080TI performance levels is nice for sure - and the same sufficiency observations apply -- but some of us have been at this level already for 1.5 or 2 years - for the same price of entry - as harmattan stated.

Just nailed a PowerColor on Newegg
Please report back if that PowerColor card is shipped in cardboard box only with no foam, just folded cardboard packaging around the card. That's how powercolor shipped my reference Vega56. Talk about no frills packaging! Quite literally - no foam, and very little protection. :eek:

It worked, but I'd prefer my $500 Vega 56 cost $1 more to insulate with a modicum of packaging foam in shipping.

I think the 1080TI might go down as one of the best graphics cards of all time. It was a big jump, and held the crown for a long time, and even when supplanted by the 2080TI performance, its usefulness was not lost, or blown away, as the software/game engines haven't caught up yet.

I can play every game out today on max settings at 3440x1440 @ >60 FPS which is a much stiffer requirement than the most common 1080p or 1440p resolutions. The 1080ti is a card that was actually ahead of the software technology. I can't remember a graphics card through history that was so ahead of the software/game engine curve, and two years later there isn't even a dent in it's gaming capability. The idea that this Radeon VII is near 1080TI performance levels is nice for sure - and the same sufficiency observations apply -- but some of us have been at this level already for 1.5 or 2 years - for the same price of entry - as harmattan stated.

I just looked at some old specs and my 1080 ti has now surpassed my 9700 for the longest time in a rig without me having even a tinge of wanting to "upgrade". The VII would last me, what, at the most until early 2020 when nV comes with 7nm, likely shorter.

I would agree as well, but NDA. Wouldn't want a poor review to ruin the out of stock first day sales, while I like AMD more than nVidia, and I think you should let your numbers do your selling, it's still smart business sense to not allow numbers until the day of launch to get those "hype" sales.

I too am a huge fan of AMD (as you can see in my sig below) but after nine years, I switched to Nvidia this go around. I needed some power savings for my PSU as it is now approaching 4 years old. But I will most likely pick up a single VII in the coming months.

It is funny people complain about the price of a 1080ti when released all those years later. It still comparable out AMD's best current gen hardware that is now $700. The 1080ti was a hell of a value if you bought it around launch.

You can always gauge a hardware product launch based on the leaks & review timing.
Good product/peformance = early review (1- 2 week prior to sales) and performance leaks.
Bad product/performance= no review till launch day and little to no performance leaks.
This does not bode well for Vega 7. It's particularly embarrassing to see the power draw on this 7nm gpu vs 14nm RTX 2080. AMD should just be honest and openly state that this was a late last minute launch planned to buy time until they have a real gaming product ready.

Last edited:
It is funny people complain about the price of a 1080ti when released all those years later. It still comparable out AMD's best current gen hardware that is now $700. The 1080ti was a hell of a value if you bought it around launch.
1080ti is a boss.
It's also nearly identical performance to the Nvidia 2080 and similar pricing (2 years after launch of 1080ti).
Got to love the GPU stagnation we are seeing (thanks to AMD focusing more on CPU than GPU)

1080ti is a boss.
It's also nearly identical performance to the Nvidia 2080 and similar pricing (2 years after launch of 1080ti).
Got to love the GPU stagnation we are seeing (thanks to AMD focusing more on CPU than GPU)

If they would have focused on GPU over CPU we'd be in the same situation, just with Intel instead of nVidia....

Agree, and based on the larger size of the server cpu market vs GPU market I believe Lisa Su made the right decision.
I don't think so. AMD is a smaller company then either Nvidia and Intel. AMD just don't have R&D funding as them. Intel fucked up and got complacent and milked it. Nvidia is now doing the same and giving AMD a chance to catch up. AMD needs to blow up the GPU divisions and built a new GPU from the ground up like they did with Ryzen.

I don't think so. AMD is a smaller company then either Nvidia and Intel. AMD just don't have R&D funding as them. Intel fucked up and got complacent and milked it. Nvidia is now doing the same and giving AMD a chance to catch up. AMD needs to blow up the GPU divisions and built a new GPU from the ground up like they did with Ryzen.
If the GPU total market is 4 Billion in revenue per year, the CPU total market is probably 40 Billion (10X).
With AMD having expertise in both fields it probably makes more sense to invest in the larger market segment.

Last edited:
Powercolor order finally got through in the egg. In packaging preparing to ship today. Also got one from AMD.com directly this morning.

Reactions: Curl
like this

Problem doing that is you be even further behind if you have to start everything over. AMD don't need to blow it up, just need a person with a different vision and they may have that already, but it still takes time to developed a successor to GCN.

Moral of the story is:

GCN needs to be put out to pasture.

In retrospect it's absolutely surprising that AMD has managed to make it last this long, but regardless of how noble GCN has fought, it's not today's architecture, it's yesterday's.

relative-performance_1920-1080.png

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

power_peak.png

Used 1080Ti costs actually less than RTX 2070 and have the same feature set as Radeon VII including FreeSync support
So what is the point to this new AMD card really? It seems they just had it and thought "why not release it?"
And it is probably already sold out so that is that XD

So what is the point to this new AMD card really?
Make maximum use of dies that don't bine as high for MI50 datacenter cards for increased yield on this young process.. HBM is inserted later on the package.

IF AMD had released a LC version like they did with VEGA 64LC and a fucking driver that was not such a mess, then the reviews would be singing its praises vs saying "it has a ton of potential but wait for the drivers they are working on."...With even a 120mm AIO, these cards would probably be boosting to 1900Mhz, maybe 1950 with the PL increased and it would be more of a in between 2080 and 2080ti placement. I firmly expect the driver situation to be resolved and the card will be neck and neck with the 2080.

I bought mine couple of cards for the compute performance, and the fact that I am picking up a 65" Samsung 8K series LCD that does 1080/1440P with 120hz and crazy good input lag this weekend. One of the things that seems to be lost in all the noise is the insane frame times of the card. They are better then the 2080 (despite lower overall fps) and often better then the 2080TI...WAsn't Nvidia the ones that gave us FCAT? I will take super smooth gaming, coupled with adaptive sync all day vs 5~10% (with the current mess of a driver) avg FPS and higher frame times. To each their own.

These cards are going to the new Titan/Titan Black, where you can sell them for retail years down the road thanks to that incredible 16GB of memory with 1TB/s of bandwidth and the compute performance. I honestly am very happy with my VEGA 64, but even with 583 GB/s of memory bandwidth it is being held back. I have benched a V56 (flashed to 64) also under water that had HBM that would do 1200mhz and performance was still increasing compared to the stock performance. You could set a static modest core clock of say, 1650mhz, and increase the HBM in 50mhz steps and just watch the performance climb every step.

Moral of the story is:

GCN needs to be put out to pasture.

In retrospect it's absolutely surprising that AMD has managed to make it last this long, but regardless of how noble GCN has fought, it's not today's architecture, it's yesterday's.
Seems its doing ok to me
dE_zZuwBPvf_0E_21Jl8eKbnKztoZu252h8hnWfeh55jhBUYrm6ZP2OfiNCAiU9cBMiuVW6Sl9z6ftI-ALM=w678-h400-no.png

Seems its doing ok to me
View attachment 140421
Brute forcing its way with higher power consumption and equal to 2080 performance.
It will delivery plenty of performance but imo its quite embarrasing to see this 7nm gpu matching the 16nm 2080. Time for AMD to retire GCN, praying for next gen AMD to bring competition back.

Back